Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 01:55 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
This pic was taken after sitting at idle for 5 minutes while trying to dry off enough to grab the phone and light a smoke. Temp read 241f as you can see in the picture but I have no idea what it would have been without the rain cooling it down.
It would've been hotter.

But once I got back on the road, the last 3 or 4 miles was dry and ambient temperature was back in the 90's. the temp rose to 255 while riding and 265 after I got home and let it idle for about 30 seconds.
Not alarming, IMO. Wait and check next time you're out in the dry, as that wasn't a good day to compare ET's with those from a dry day.

Still waiting to see what 30 minutes of second and third gear stop n go thru the subdivision does with the lower AFR. If it will stay below 280f in ambient temps up to 100f, I will be happy.
That must be a BIG subdivision. In those conditions that sounds like a good ET for which to strive. Lowering AFR doesn't make much difference in ET or OT on my bike, even when I go from 14.5 to 13.0 in the cruise range, but I'd like to see how you fare.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:08 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iclick
That must be a BIG subdivision. In those conditions that sounds like a good ET for which to strive. Lowering AFR doesn't make much difference in ET or OT on my bike, even when I go from 14.5 to 13.0 in the cruise range, but I'd like to see how you fare.
It's not that big. There is another subdivision next to us that connects but it is half the size. I have the Wife follow me and I randomly ride down all the streets that are not dead ends. We make 2 to 3 passes down most of the streets then end up back at the house.
As long as I keep the RPMs down on mine, the neighbors don't seem to stare too much when I ride by. The Wife's Dyna is still stock so it sounds like a sewing machine.
And I hope you are wrong. I am really wanting to never see the 300f plus range again when it's only low 90's and low humidity out.
the whole point of me doing all the stage 1 was to lower temps with the bonus of a better running bike. I hate to think it was all for not!
I am thinking it will not be till tomorrow till we get another ride in. I am changing all the fluids tonight. And that might throw another monkey wrench into the whole thing! I am going with Redline in all three holes and from what I hear, I might see a slight change in operating temperature. If so, it won't be an apples to apples comparison in AFR in relation to heat.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:23 PM
bohica48
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=BigGelvis;9803120]Hahahaha........I had hoped to made a run yesterday evening to see how the new AFR settings helped the heat issue. Well, I got stuck in one of the biggest down pours I have been in in a long time.
Traffic was dead stopped on my off ramp and I was getting pelted by dime size rain drops and what I could swear was tiny hail *****! I found a hole and shot back on the toll road towards the only shelter I could see up ahead.

This pic was taken after sitting at idle for 5 minutes while trying to dry off enough to grab the phone and light a smoke. Temp read 241f as you can see in the picture but I have no idea what it would have been without the rain cooling it down.
This was a 20 minute ride and I never got over 30mph before pulling over and then I idled for 5 minutes before taking the pic. The temp would not climb over 241.
But once I got back on the road, the last 3 or 4 miles was dry and ambient temperature was back in the 90's. the temp rose to 255 while riding and 265 after I got home and let it idle for about 30 seconds.
Still waiting to see what 30 minutes of second and third gear stop n go thru the subdivision does with the lower AFR. If it will stay below 280f in ambient temps up to 100f, I will be happy.

I'm just south of you, Clear Lake, and my ET's have gotten as high as 306F when sitting too long in traffic. I lowered my Lambda value at 30kpa and 1000rpm to 0.939 (13.8) in hopes it will cool it down some, hadn't seen much difference so far. FWIW I still have the Cat which I'm sure is a contributing factor.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:03 AM
hboat
Cruiser

I'm happy that this thread is addressing CHT because it's been my concern for the last 2 weeks, so much so, that I wrote Jamie a week ago. Of course he said that many factors (engine modifications) come into play but a normal range of temps is 240 to 310. This pegs 275 as the mid-range. My bike cruises at 260-265, but when it's slow 'n go, I get to 280-290 pretty easily. The highest I've seen is 306 when I'm stopped in traffic on an 80* day. And, as many know, cooling down from the 290's takes a fair bit longer than heating up. I think iClick (and thanks again for all your input) has shown that a sooper rich tune might only make 7-10*s of cooling. I seldom see my OT above 247, and I'm fine w/ this number, but I don't want any of these temps to go any higher. I'm probably headed for an engine fan. I realize that I'm running slightly higher compression, and I love to roll on the power, but I envy guys running lower ET's but understand that many may be running comparable temps. ...just wanted to put my .02 out there.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:40 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

what about the days when we never seen bike temps? Now we see them now we worry. I am done worrying my bike hit 331 today because there was a boat in the road and traffic was backed up for 5 miles. If the bike melts then it melts if I can not ride the bike with out worrying then I dont need or want the POS. and I love this street glide its sweet out on the open road I did not even bother to look at my oil temp to much stop and go and its on the dip stick. But ever since I got my VEs to settle in and they did after many log runs bike has run great and have not seen oil temp above 223* when I have checked and even at 300+ temps it ran fine and fairly quickly cooled down once we got rolling again but it was mostly running 240-250 head temps at 80* today. I was riding with a guy who has a 02 roadking carb bike and when we stopped you could tell by feel his bike was hotter than mine we both agreed not scientific I know. What more is there to do but try to toss a bunch of gas at it to try and keep it cool and I mostly hear that does not work that well you may lose what 5-7*? I am putting cooling fans on the heads and then I am going to toss the temp gauge and ride this bike and not worry about it. LOL

Old 05-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Pass
Advanced

Anyone else have issues updating the firmware? I finally got around to updating my firmware, and lo and behold the PV locks up. It just sat there saying processing for 35min + and finally I tried to reset the device and now all I get is the DynoJet splash screen. It will not link up with my PC. I put it in recovery mode and it just sits there and will not communicate with PV updater or computer. So basically I'm pretty hosed up right now.

Anyone know of a solution for this???? I've googled around and found nothing...

Old 05-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

At your own risk because I dont know for sure. But when I had issue similar I dumped all the software and reloaded it. I have not had any problems since. Good luck I know its frustrating.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:05 AM
Pass
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sam2010
At your own risk because I dont know for sure. But when I had issue similar I dumped all the software and reloaded it. I have not had any problems since. Good luck I know its frustrating.
I don't think it is the software on the PC... since the PowerVision unit is stuck on the splash screen. It is completely unseen by the PC unless I put it in recovery mode. Then the computer can see it, but the software still can't.

I've tried everything I can think of... but it seems like it locked up during the firmware update, and never completed the upgrade so it's firmware is now corrupted, I think.

Hoping someone here knows how to fix this. I'll call DynoJet when they open today... but I'm hoping to avoid having to send it back to them. I'm spoiled being able to read everything my bike is doing and tweak it when I need, so I miss not having it lol.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 AM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iclick
In those conditions that sounds like a good ET for which to strive. Lowering AFR doesn't make much difference in ET or OT on my bike, even when I go from 14.5 to 13.0 in the cruise range, but I'd like to see how you fare.
Well, you are probably right on with this. I decided to test this again yesterday before I do the oil change. So we went out and I tried to duplicate our last route when the head temp spiked to 306f. I timed it this time and it's actually about a 20 minute ride, not 30 like I guessed at before.
The ambient temperature was about 10f cooler than the last time and I am not sure about the humidity, that was a guess too.
But anyway, towards the end of the ride, head temps were getting into the 270+ range. Pulled in the driveway after 20 minutes just like before and let the bike idle for 1 minute. Temp climbed to 289f and I shut it off.
That is only 17f cooler than last time but subtract the 10f drop in ambient temp and the humidity level is probably higher too. That leaves 7f and that is close enough that I am sure there is probably very little help from the AFR change when it comes to idle temps on this bike.
That 7f could be from any of the other variables like not exactly duplicating the last ride, gear, rpm, ect.

I am doing the fluids swap to Redline tonight and will try this again. Once I get another good 90f day, I'll see if I can get some more info on temps. I really hope the Redline will perform like some claim it does. I am not holding my breath but who knows.
At this point, even a 5f drop would help. I am also going to take a decible reading at the engine and compare the OEM dino oil from the Synth Redline and see if there really is a measurable reduction in engine clatter like some people claim.
I am just curious is all. Would be interesting if it made a huge difference in engine noise! Like I said, I am not holding my breath.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Pass
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sam2010
what about the days when we never seen bike temps? Now we see them now we worry. I am done worrying my bike hit 331 today because there was a boat in the road and traffic was backed up for 5 miles. If the bike melts then it melts if I can not ride the bike with out worrying then I dont need or want the POS. and I love this street glide its sweet out on the open road I did not even bother to look at my oil temp to much stop and go and its on the dip stick. But ever since I got my VEs to settle in and they did after many log runs bike has run great and have not seen oil temp above 223* when I have checked and even at 300+ temps it ran fine and fairly quickly cooled down once we got rolling again but it was mostly running 240-250 head temps at 80* today. I was riding with a guy who has a 02 roadking carb bike and when we stopped you could tell by feel his bike was hotter than mine we both agreed not scientific I know. What more is there to do but try to toss a bunch of gas at it to try and keep it cool and I mostly hear that does not work that well you may lose what 5-7*? I am putting cooling fans on the heads and then I am going to toss the temp gauge and ride this bike and not worry about it. LOL
I hear ya! My bike has seen 350 numerous times while in traffic and it's still running like a champ. The only time that I got scared was when it pegged 400 while in traffic and no place to stop (no shoulder). I got it into a parking lot - she ran like a dog - and shut it down. Opened the oil fill hole and transmission fill hole to help let heat dissipate. Took about 45min before I could start her up to get her home. But My bike runs consistently over 240 and up. These things get hot, real hot... And still run. They're made for it. I only worry over 350, I just shut her down for a little while and then ride her to cool her. Though, I will say, if you hit that temp for long, I suggest an oil change... I notice that she runs a bit rougher after sitting at 350+ for a while if I don't change the engine oil.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread