Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Note have to have a check mark in box for menu to drop down.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:55 AM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iclick
Do as Hboat said and be sure to select "Percent." Highlight (select) all areas you want affected, set your change value, click on "Percent," and then "Add" or "Subtract."

Where is this E10 selection? I don't have it in either WinPV or PV Tune, but stoich for E10 is 14.2 while it's 14.68 for pure gas. I do have a stoich selection in PV Tune > Options and I have it set for "14.6". Jamie suggested leaving it there, which is the way I have mine set even though I run E10 100% of the time.

After becoming comfortable with the PCV with and without AT it took me quite a while to wrap my head around the relationship between the VE and AFR tables. VE is "predicted airflow," and raising or lowering this value affects the amount of fuel calibrated--but so does the AFR table. It sounds like they do the same thing, but they don't.

The idea is to first match the value in the AFR table at a given point with the actual AFR measured by an O2 sensor or sniffer, which is done by changing the VE value. Once this is matched it is tuned at that point. You can change the value in the AFR table as you wish and the ECM will calculate the proper AFR. E.g., if my VE value is 80 at 2500rpm @ 20% TP (will be in KPA for newer bikes), the AFR table value is 14.4, and the actual measured AFR is 14.4, the VE value is correct. From that point on you don't change the VE value. If you want to change AFR, do it in the AFR table. Believe it or not it actually works. I tuned my bike using varied AFRs from 13.0 at WOT to 14.5 at cruise, then without changing the VE table I changed all values to 13.0 for a rich map. To my surprise the WB O2 sensors showed ~.89 Lambda everywhere in the operating range, which is correct.
I just had a moment of clarity reading your post!
I think I finally get it now. When I calculate a tune using log Tuner and my tuning log from PV, the reason to make sure Stioch is set to 14.6 when creating a value file is because that is what the software uses to calculate the VE tables.
Once my VE tables are calibrated, I can then go to the AFR tables and either change cells individually, in groups or across the board using "cell math" and this is how I adjust the desired AFR I want.

Do I have this correct so far? So when calculating a tune, the Stoich value in the software when configuring a Value File must be set to 14.6??
And if this is correct, why is there even an option to change that value in the options dialog box?

Assuming I have the above correct and I did actually "get it" finally, I still have a couple things I am not clear on.
The question of the drop down box in the upper right corner of the AFR table with the options of Gas, E10 or E85 still remain to be answered.
Does anyone know what these do? For example, if I select E10 does it really adjust the requested AFR by .5?
My map from FM is set at 14.4 in the cruise range and selecting E10 drops the AFR in these cells to 13.9.
I am just using those cells as an example, it actually changes ALL THE CELLS by .5 stioch. and selecting E85 drops it down a lot more.

Another thing I am not clear on. The hits count when creating a value file. What is it and what does it do/mean?

And last question, does anyone know of a more detailed or advanced guide for power vision?
Almost seems like the basic guide (and only guide I can find), is purposely left "vague" so folks who have a hard time grasping the concept with the lack of detailed info might spend more $$ and purchase the Auto Tune.
I sure hope that is not the case but I just don't understand the lack of a more detailed guide.
It might all make sense for someone who has dealt with other tuners before but for the guy who is just getting into it, it can be a lot to wrap your head around, like me.

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2012, 02:58 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
I just had a moment of clarity reading your post!
I think I finally get it now. When I calculate a tune using log Tuner and my tuning log from PV, the reason to make sure Stioch is set to 14.6 when creating a value file is because that is what the software uses to calculate the VE tables.
Once my VE tables are calibrated, I can then go to the AFR tables and either change cells individually, in groups or across the board using "cell math" and this is how I adjust the desired AFR I want.

Do I have this correct so far? So when calculating a tune, the Stoich value in the software when configuring a Value File must be set to 14.6?? And if this is correct, why is there even an option to change that value in the options dialog box?
That's correct. Remember that Basic Tuning with stock O2 sensors will only tune the closed-loop area. As for setting the stoich value, I have mine set for 14.6 even though I run E10 100% of the time. If you set stoich to 14.2 for E10 it will run richer, and Jamie told me to just leave it at 14.6. Mine runs fine at Lambda .99-1.0 (~14.5-14.6) with E10 with good temperature, mileage, and performance characteristics.

The question of the drop down box in the upper right corner of the AFR table with the options of Gas, E10 or E85 still remain to be answered.
Does anyone know what these do? For example, if I select E10 does it really adjust the requested AFR by .5?
Mine doesn't have this, so I assume it is only for newer calibrations.

My map from FM is set at 14.4 in the cruise range and selecting E10 drops the AFR in these cells to 13.9.
Sounds about right.

I am just using those cells as an example, it actually changes ALL THE CELLS by .5 stioch. and selecting E85 drops it down a lot more.
Don't set for E85, as that's only for flex-fuel cars.

Another thing I am not clear on. The hits count when creating a value file. What is it and what does it do/mean?
The PV and/or ECM sample x number of times per sec., and each sample is a "hit." You will see more hits in those areas you frequent most often. PV Tune has a setting for minimum number of hits in the Options section, which you can change if you want.

And last question, does anyone know of a more detailed or advanced guide for power vision? Almost seems like the basic guide (and only guide I can find), is purposely left "vague" so folks who have a hard time grasping the concept with the lack of detailed info might spend more $$ and purchase the Auto Tune. I sure hope that is not the case but I just don't understand the lack of a more detailed guide.
DJ has never won an award for their documentation, or if they did there was no competition in that category. Dennis wrote a tutorial here, which is worth reading.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:23 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by iclick
Dennis wrote a tutorial here, which is worth reading.
Thank you very much. That clears up most of my questions. The only thing I have left to figure out is the closed loop vs open loop thing.
I know what they are but not sure on settings in PV.
Definitely going to go thru Dennis tutorial when I get home!

Old 05-11-2012, 06:31 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much. That clears up most of my questions. The only thing I have left to figure out is the closed loop vs open loop thing.
I know what they are but not sure on settings in PV.
Definitely going to go thru Dennis tutorial when I get home!
Closed loop vs Open from a settings perspective is like an on-off switch - in the ECM not so much the PV. For the older AFR based calibrations, if the AFR is set to 14.6, it enables closed loop mode and uses input from the O2 sensors. For the newer Lambda based calibrations, anything .98 - 1.02 will enable closed loop mode. Anything except those will leave the ECM in open loop and ignore the O2 sensors; relying solely on your VE values and related calculations for fuel.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:45 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
Closed loop vs Open from a settings perspective is like an on-off switch - in the ECM not so much the PV. For the older AFR based calibrations, if the AFR is set to 14.6, it enables closed loop mode and uses input from the O2 sensors. For the newer Lambda based calibrations, anything .98 - 1.02 will enable closed loop mode. Anything except those will leave the ECM in open loop and ignore the O2 sensors; relying solely on your VE values and related calculations for fuel.
So if I set the AFR to 14.2 (or Lambda under .98, it will disable closed loop in the ECM?

Old 05-11-2012, 07:51 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

So if I set the AFR to 14.2 (or Lambda under .98, it will disable closed loop in the ECM?
Correct.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:01 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
Correct.
Well my first attempt was a bust! My log file has no hits for VE. I set the signals manually instead of using the code option and I must have done it wrong.
I get an error calculating the tune, something about front VE not logged or something.
It is raining now and my brain hurts! I'll use the code and do another tuning log tomorrow and see if that does it.
Good thing is I have been worrying about how hot the engine runs and it never got over 260 on my 25 minute run at speeds up to 100 and a lot of heavy throttle.
Is there only one engine temp sensor or is that an oil temp? I could swear I have seen people posting about temps for both front and rear but I do not see that signal in the list.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:22 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

I think the head temp sensor is in the front cylinder. Definitely use the code - makes it a lot easier and you get a reasonable representation of the cells you're hitting.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:43 PM
twister2gt
Intermediate

Was wondering how you guys go about tuning out decell pop, I bought my PV from Fuel Moto and the tune is alot better then my stock setup but i still have some pop between 2100-2700 when letting off the gas inbetween there, I have played with the decell enleanment and it seems a little less gas makes it better but don't know if i should go anymore also tried adding a little bit of timing on the 20 KPA spark table between 1500-2600 and it seemed to help too but i'm new to tuning EFI and want to make sure going any further with timing or taking fuel out of the enleanment will not hurt anything. Also was thinking should i give it alot more fuel on the enleanment and see if more will keep it from even igniting. I Have only moved the value from .30 to .38 and i think the tune came set at .34.

Running 2012 dyna street bob
96 inch screamin eagle with V&H straight Shot slipons

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread