Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 12:50 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had mine to 920, but I didn't like it.

The SEPST will allow you to set it as low as 800 RPM.

Also my bike runs better if I let the rocker boxes get warm. I guess it give the computer time to run its checks for all temps up to running temp. I ride with a lot of evo guys and older engine bikes, and they always let their bikes warm up good before riding out the first thing. I guess I picked it up from them, but I can positively say that my bike runs smoother if I allow it to warm the boxes a little. That is my gauge to know that the computer has had time to do its checks.

Last edited by editbrain; 05-02-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:24 PM
WetSider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run with my warm idle set at 950, and like how it behaves vs. stock (higher) setting.

At start-up, I let the bike sit for a minute or maybe a bit less before taking off. Use the time for ear plugs in and gloves on. Probably also a bit of a hold-over habit from my Evo/carb days - when it was more like a couple of minutes, when I could back-off the enrichener. I really take it easy, and don't get much into the throttle until the bike is warmed-up, though. YMMV.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:21 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by editbrain
I have had mine to 920, but I didn't like it. The SEPST will allow you to set it as low as 800 RPM.
SEPST or any other flash-based tuner (PV, TTS) will allow you to set idle this low if the ECM calibration will allow it. Some will not.

Also my bike runs better if I let the rocker boxes get warm. I guess it give the computer time to run its checks for all temps up to running temp. I ride with a lot of evo guys and older engine bikes, and they always let their bikes warm up good before riding out the first thing. I guess I picked it up from them, but I can positively say that my bike runs smoother if I allow it to warm the boxes a little. That is my gauge to know that the computer has had time to do its checks.
I don't know any reason why your bike would run smoother after warm-up if you allow it to idle until the rocker boxes are warm. The ECM completes its preliminary "checks" in about four seconds. There are settings like idle and IAC steps that are temperature-sensitive, but that shouldn't affect the way the bike feels throughout that riding session, if that's what you're saying. If you want to warm it up before riding it is your option, but HD says to idle for only 30 seconds after starting.

Last edited by iclick; 05-03-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:40 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I get my info from my experiences. Everyone says each bike is different.
I know when it is cold outside or cool in the mornings, if I ride before the hiss from the a/c has stopped, ans the bike hasn't warmed for a minute or so, it rides like ****. Vibrations are rougher, and it just doesn't run right.

Even by making the general statemen that the hd tuner wil allow the idle to go down to 800, despite the calibration map, I was still correct.

There isn't anything wrong with the way I handle my initial start up, nor is there any issues with my bike.
It is the relationship I have with it, and we get along just fine.I

I am not being a SA. I can't explain it. I have always let my air cooled bike warm up, and they ride better for the day Don't, and they are fussy. Be it efi or carbed. If they ride good for you in four seconds after start, that is a first for me. But that it awsome.

Last edited by editbrain; 05-03-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:56 AM
BlackFLHTP
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine temps...

2011 FLHTP..103CID,oil cooler....stage one..Power Vision..using DJs MAP for this bike w/V&H slip ons,hi flo air box......@ appx 80F I am seeing 240-270 F engine temps...is this too hot?...also,I am having a problem using my LOG files...I am following the directions but I cant get the PV LOGTUNER program to see my Log files...more info later...thanks all....

Old 05-04-2012, 11:17 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackFLHTP
@ appx 80F I am seeing 240-270 F engine temps...is this too hot?
Under what conditions? The lower figure sounds okay for highway riding, and I wouldn't worry about 270° in slower moving situations, e.g. city streets. I run about 220° highway in 80° weather, higher in city riding. How high depending on how fast the traffic is moving, how often you're sitting at idle, etc.

...also,I am having a problem using my LOG files...I am following the directions but I cant get the PV LOGTUNER program to see my Log files...more info later...thanks all....
You'll need to make a note of where the log files are being saved, as those missing files are probably on the computer somewhere. In WinPV > Setup > Options you can designate default folders. When you access these once in PV Tune it will remember the last folder you visited.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Steve Molander
Novice

I'm new to Power Vision, but have been reading this thread and several others for the past week. Got my new exhaust and intake installed last night. Then attached the PV and loaded the tune supplied by Fuel Moto.

First of all, the bike runs like a champ!!! Very smooth from zero throttle all the way up to WOT. No decel popping. No hesitation So I don't expect to do much tuning right away.

However, when I open WinPV I am not seeing the same values as the manual shows. Why would I be missing these values.

Thanks

Steve

Last edited by Steve Molander; 05-04-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve, open up the WinPV program. Open your file. Click on SETUP in the top menu bar, then OPTIONS, go to User Level on the right side of the displayed screen and click on BASIC. Select PRO then OK. Everything should now be displayed.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Steve Molander
Novice

Originally Posted by Delta
Steve, open up the WinPV program. Open your file. Click on SETUP in the top menu bar, then OPTIONS, go to User Level on the right side of the displayed screen and click on BASIC. Select PRO then OK. Everything should now be displayed.
Thank you! I kept reading about Basic and Pro versions, but must have missed the part on where is was set. And a bone-head move on my part as I looked in this same area, but didn't notice the drop down arrow ... only that I was in Basic.

Thanks. This thread has been a wealth of information! It's one of the reasons (besides Moto Fuel's recommendation) that I went with the Vision.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:40 AM
BlackFLHTP
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Under what conditions? The lower figure sounds okay for highway riding, and I wouldn't worry about 270° in slower moving situations, e.g. city streets. I run about 220° highway in 80° weather, higher in city riding. How high depending on how fast the traffic is moving, how often you're sitting at idle, etc.

You'll need to make a note of where the log files are being saved, as those missing files are probably on the computer somewhere. In WinPV > Setup > Options you can designate default folders. When you access these once in PV Tune it will remember the last folder you visited.

Thanks...the temps I stated are what I am seeing from slow speeds in stop and go traffic (highest temps) to 70 mph hiway speeds (lowest temps).....the engine does seem to cool down reasonably fast when going from city to hiway.......rode home from work about 3 AM this morning with temp about 65F...engine temp topped out at 209 after about 10 miles and fluctuated between 207-209......went up to about 214 after I hit the side roads.......as far as the Log Tuner goes,I havnt played with it in a couple weeks but I think I recall the program asking for a log file with a different extension than what I am getting from my PV.....maybe I will have time to play with it some more in the near future.....just got off a 43 day stretch at work so havnt had much much 'play time' lately....

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread