Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 01:40 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,156 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by 883_dave
Thanks Jamie. Did you mean to say closed-loop twice in your second sentence? I would expect CLB and adaptive learn to be applied to the closed-loop portion of the map, but I am asking if the open-loop portion of the map can also be affected by the CLB settings and adaptive learn.
(sorry for the typo) if the ECM sees specific requirements in Closed loop they may be applied to open loop, it all depends on how far the O2 integrator is reaching out as well as other factors.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 04-23-2012, 02:12 PM
CDFXD
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry VE's keep leaning out

Still wondering why the VE's keep leaning out. I believe I started over like 8 times. Included a screen shot of the delta's between the stock tune and the tune from FM after a couple of datalogs and consecutive tunes. If the HD tune/map is lean from the factury, changing to an open airfilter and V&H short shots, should make the bike run leaner. But now the FM tune is becoming leaner then the stock tune, with a higher sparkadvanced? Anyone any suggestions? I emailed Jamie and he told me to let the PV do his thing. But I am wondering if there might be something I am overlooking. Faulty O2 sensor, leak exhaust...?
Steve

Attached Thumbnails Power Vision Information Thread-delta-stock-fmt3.jpg  
Old 04-23-2012, 02:37 PM
883_dave
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
(sorry for the typo) if the ECM sees specific requirements in Closed loop they may be applied to open loop, it all depends on how far the O2 integrator is reaching out as well as other factors.
Thanks for your help Jamie. I appreciate the time you take to answer our questions and help us learn about this stuff.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CDFXD
Still wondering why the VE's keep leaning out. I believe I started over like 8 times. Included a screen shot of the delta's between the stock tune and the tune from FM after a couple of datalogs and consecutive tunes. If the HD tune/map is lean from the factury, changing to an open airfilter and V&H short shots, should make the bike run leaner. But now the FM tune is becoming leaner then the stock tune, with a higher sparkadvanced? Anyone any suggestions? I emailed Jamie and he told me to let the PV do his thing. But I am wondering if there might be something I am overlooking. Faulty O2 sensor, leak exhaust...?
Steve
Not really being an expert at this stuff, just a little bit of knowledge that can be dangerous, it looks like it is actually getting richer in the areas you drive in and leaner in those areas that you don't really spend time in. I always thought that ours driveability area went from upper left to lower right. As rpm and throttle position increase your useable area shifts downward. I know that's a poor explanation but I'd be comfortable with what is happening if it were my bike. Then after the changes (deltas) are between 1 and 3% call it good and then start smoothing and extrapolating???? Hopefully the experts will chime in.

I will be going through the same thing as soon as my FM headpipe comes in someday.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by CDFXD
Steve
After doing alot of PV tuning, I agree with Jamie. For the closed loop section, just let the PV do its tuning "thing". You'll find the ride gets smoother and more fuel economical. The only place I might disagree is if you're happy with idle and start off from a stop. If you're happy in this region don't make the recommended changes from PV tuning below 1500 rpms.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 368 Likes on 233 Posts

You will also find that pipes with little back pressure will require "lower" ve's at lower rpm's.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:59 AM
dynaulv
Stage IV
Default CLB question to FuelMoto

Last year I was a bit worried that the PV log of O2 sensors showed that
they were staying high at around 0.8-1.0 a lot of the time, with a deep
and narrow valley down to 0.2-0.3 around every 2-5 seconds, something
like: ---v----v----v----v

That was with a clb of 700mV.

Now this spring I tried with clb 500 mV, and the sensors switch every
second in a nice symmetrical pattern, just like it should,something like:
v^v^v^v^v

If, and I say if, the slow switching at 700 mV is real, I would think
this is not optimal feedback to the ECM, and that 500 mV would give
much better (more frequent switching) feedback, and as a consequence
give PV a much better base for a good tune.

On the other hand, it looks to me that PV (and the ECM) is doing
quite well (small changes within 1-2% of VE) at both settings.

So, is the O2 sensor in reality switching much faster than it looks
in the logs at clb=700mV? (Because the ECM only puts out
data on the bus every 10th to 20th cycle (about) ) Or is the
the o2 sensor indeed switching slower at higher clb, which
suggests to me that using a clb close to 450 mV is good advice?

I have thought about bringing a pc oscilloscope on the bike and
make a T-connection to measure o2 sensors in real time, but
I thought maybe FuelMoto or someone here have already done that and could
give me the right answer to this :-)

Old 04-24-2012, 08:34 PM
tubeman426
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys, I just orderd a powervision. I was looking at the maps on dynojets web site and I dont see much there. I thought dynojet would have more maps? I have a 2009 ultra with a 106 big bore kit, 10.5-1 commpression, tman 625 cams, ported heads, ported throttle body and a stock head pipe with strait flow mufflers, no cat. Where would be the best place to start, once I get everything together?
Thanks

Old 04-25-2012, 07:08 AM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tubeman426
Hi guys, I just orderd a powervision. I was looking at the maps on dynojets web site and I dont see much there. I thought dynojet would have more maps? I have a 2009 ultra with a 106 big bore kit, 10.5-1 commpression, tman 625 cams, ported heads, ported throttle body and a stock head pipe with strait flow mufflers, no cat. Where would be the best place to start, once I get everything together?
Thanks
If you ordered it from Fuel Moto talk to Jamie or Keith and give them your bike configuration and they'll pre-load the PV with a decent starting map

Old 04-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Performance vs Economy Mapping

I keep reading about some folks who have developed a map for each situation. To change a fuel moto map for economy would I just make lamda closer to 1 and be done with it; or, reset lamda and then do data runs to establish a new set of VEs?

When I am out touring, I am not in very much stop and go traffic or city driving. When going on spirited rides with the local HOG group I like the extra power.

Am I making any sense or should I just leave well enough alone?

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread