Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've read the majority of the messages here and know I have seen it but can't find it; so please bare with me if this is a rehash of info.

Just got the PV and a map from Fuel Moto. Just how close can I expect it to be out of the box without having to tweek it? When I compare his map to what is available on the DJ web site, it looks different to me. Which do you think is closer?

Thanx...

Old 04-05-2012, 09:34 PM
skjskmata
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Delta
I've read the majority of the messages here and know I have seen it but can't find it; so please bare with me if this is a rehash of info.

Just got the PV and a map from Fuel Moto. Just how close can I expect it to be out of the box without having to tweek it? When I compare his map to what is available on the DJ web site, it looks different to me. Which do you think is closer?

Thanx...
My suggestion is go with the FM map, and it will very likely be good to go out of the box. You can always try both and see for yourself which one seems to work better for you. But Jamie at FM is very skilled at this and, based upon the praises he gets around here, has a tremendous amount of data to develop the base tunes depending upon your build.

I just installed my PV a few weeks ago, and the base tune from FM proved to be much better than the tune/tuner I was running (V&H FuelPak). Much smoother, better power, less vibration and virtually no decel popping.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:02 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

Delta,

One suggestion is to monitor the engine while you're running. You can set your gauges to show Closed Loop Integrator (CLI) for front and rear cylinders. If it ranges close to 100% in most of your riding range, you're in good shape. Close would be within 5% +/-. That will tell you how close the VE settings are to what your motor wants. Also, if you're not getting any pinging, spark advance is fine as well.

If you get to far from that, then you can start thinking about fine tuning the map via collections and map adjustments.

Definitely start with Jaime's map though.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that sounds like a great tip. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Linville Lion
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
Delta,

One suggestion is to monitor the engine while you're running. You can set your gauges to show Closed Loop Integrator (CLI) for front and rear cylinders. If it ranges close to 100% in most of your riding range, you're in good shape. Close would be within 5% +/-. That will tell you how close the VE settings are to what your motor wants. Also, if you're not getting any pinging, spark advance is fine as well.
What is the difference between the CLI and the Adjusted Fuel Factor?

Old 04-06-2012, 10:57 AM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

Probably related, but I've never monitored the other so can't say for sure.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:08 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by skjskmata
Not sure why WinPV doesn't make it easier. Hey, maybe iClick can submit the request to DJ.
Sounds like a good suggestion, so I'll pass it along. I suspect it might be construed as more of a niche feature, though, useful only to a handful of PV owners who pass along info on forums.

Last edited by iclick; 04-06-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:27 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Default Slowly, progressively leaning at 0% TP

I'm having an issue with transient decel pop (quick throttle-off) and have been treating it by slowly decreasing the Decel Enleanment values, now about half of what they originally were about 205°, and this has shown some improvement. The problem is largely gone now.

What I've noticed is that for every tuning run I'm getting a delta of around .95 or thereabouts from 2750-3500 RPM @ 0% TP on the rear cylinder, not quite so much on the front. It just leans a bit at a time, and I now see some big negative numbers in that area compared to where I started. Here's an example of the rear cylinder at 2750 RPM @ 0%:

PV-Stock.PVT: 94
PV-1a (first PV tune, 03/11): 87.4
PV-1l (06/11): 87.5
PV-1m (last tune with old mufflers, 01/12): 76.3
PV-2a (first tune with new mufflers, about two months ago): 74
PV-2f (latest tune performed earlier this week): 62.2

There have been probably 10-15 tuning runs between PV-2a and PV-2f (about a two-month time span), each showing a small delta of <1.0 in the VE tables in that location. I'm using the wideband O2 sensors with the AT-100 (Pro), not the stockers.

Note that Stock AFR is 12.5 and I've been using 14.5 from 2500 and up for all tuning runs thus far. I'm thinking this is my decel-pop issue and I should focus on this rather than reducing DE .01 at a time to get rid of it. Anyone else seeing this in their tuning?

Old 04-06-2012, 03:56 PM
hboat
Cruiser

I'm a new user (3 wks), but I'll take a stab at answering your question. Having read this entire thread, I want to thank you for all your input. Your work has been extremely helpful.
As I understand it, DE is only active for a brief time after a sudden roll off. I just returned from a logging run where I'm beginning to look at spark. While investigating in Log Tuner, I happened to look at "Logged WB2" values under 'Fuel'. I noticed that I had some AFR's ~ 15>16 @ 0% throttle. I've always wondered why the stock Harley tune puts AFR's @ 12.5-13 in that column and FuelMoto's tune for my bike had those rich values, too. Maybe decel popping should be addressed using AFR's rather than DE.

Quick subject change...

What is the maximum spark advance some of you are tuning? 45*'s? 50*'s, or even more?

Old 04-06-2012, 04:40 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by hboat
I'm a new user (3 wks), but I'll take a stab at answering your question. Having read this entire thread, I want to thank you for all your input. Your work has been extremely helpful.
Thanks for the good words. I'm a "new user" of one year, or at least sometimes I feel like one.

As I understand it, DE is only active for a brief time after a sudden roll off.
Yes, and that's where I was getting my pops, right at the transition. Thus, DE was where I concentrated my therapy, but it was working at a very slow pace--and I never did get it out totally even after decreasing DE by half from 205° and above.

I have an update: I took my tune and arbitrarily set the VE's at 0% from 2750-3500 to about -10 from stock, which were set at 12.5 AFR. This was richer than I had been running them by quite a bit, and I also set DE back to stock values--i.e., leaner. I just took a ride and got no popping at all, so I think the constant leaning I was getting from each tune was the cause of the pops, not a lean DE.

I also ran a log and as always the delta was at ~.95, dictating the Log Tuner to lean it the same amount as when it was much leaner. It's as if it is seeing a fixed AFR regardless of how the VE values are set in that area. I think this ties into another observation I've made: At 0% TP in that RPM my PV Lambda gauge from the AT-100 shows 32.77, which makes no sense, but when I checked with DJ months ago they said it was normal. I think this may be influencing the tune, but how can it determine the correct VE when the WB O2 sensors are reporting Lambda 32.77 down as far as ~2000 RPM? Since that suggests very lean why would it lean it more? Anyway, I reported this to my contact at DJ.

I just returned from a logging run where I'm beginning to look at spark. While investigating in Log Tuner, I happened to look at "Logged WB2" values under 'Fuel'. I noticed that I had some AFR's ~ 15>16 @ 0% throttle. I've always wondered why the stock Harley tune puts AFR's @ 12.5-13 in that column and FuelMoto's tune for my bike had those rich values, too. Maybe decel popping should be addressed using AFR's rather than DE.
That's the conventional way to address decel popping, and I'm sure by setting AFR very rich at 0% HD eliminates lots of warranty claims after owners change mufflers. Again, I concentrated on DE because my pops were largely transitional, just at the instant that I pulled back on the throttle.

What is the maximum spark advance some of you are tuning? 45*'s? 50*'s, or even more?
Mine goes as high as 45°, but only in the lower-left quadrant of the Spark Advance table. WOT goes only up to a max of 28°.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread