Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:42 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeiers
1) Now that I am nearly satisfied with my tune, I would like to smooth the entire front/rear VE table. Do I smooth it vertically (by column) or horizontally (by row)?

2) When done tuning, is it OK to leave all my AFR table cells (that I was tuning with Log Tuner Basic) at 14.6? The original FM tune had some of the cells at 14.5.

3) Does everyone else find that Log Tuner is very slow to adjust spark values? Or is this by design where it only lowers timing by .10-.20 at a time instead of a whole degree?
1) Also curious what others are doing. I did some tuning runs to get my VE close, then did a few runs where I smoothed the whole table afterwards. Then I want back in and did a few more without smoothing. My intent was to smooth the transitions, but then noticed each time I smoothed, the cells where I had good data would adjust off a bit too much. I think I now have everything pretty close with good transitions.

2) left everything below 3500 and 70 KPa in closed loop (lambda values of .982 to .977) and then reduced AFR in steps outside of that. Tried to keep .982 in my cruise range.

3) I think it is slow as each time it detects a ping, it will take several degrees of timing out. Where ever I saw it reduce timing, I took a bit more out down to the whole number. example, if it recommended 38.76, I'd set it to 38.0. You want a bit of a safety buffer anyway. My problem areas were in the 2250 - 3000 rpm range, KPa 60-80. Never a ping outside of that range

Last edited by ColoSpgsMark; 03-16-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:46 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
Yup. Think of "14.6" as a toggle within the ECM
14.6 = closed loop on and collecting O2 data.
anything else = closed loop off and not collecting anything.
Correct, and with AFR bikes (cable throttle) you adjust closed-loop AFR with the Closed-Loop Bias table. For TBW bikes, except a few '08 calibrations, you use the Lambda table to adjust by setting between .98-1.02. The lower number is 14.4:1 (E0 gas) for those of you who don't "think Lambda." (I'm in "think Lambda" training myself, but at my age it's hard to make major mental changes like this.)

Last edited by iclick; 03-16-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:53 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Phochief
Ok, if I understand correctly, I went into the tune I got from DynoJet and changed all of the cells in that range to 14.6 (see attached photo). Does this look right for going out on a logging run?

Thanks.
Yes, IMO that's good. Like I mentioned earlier, Dennis suggested using the stock AFR Table settings for a few runs, then extend it as you have now. Don't use the settings in the DJ tune you posted earlier, as it won't do much tuning with settings like that.

For full disclosure I must report that I have done only Pro tuning, and I'm just basing my suggestions for Basic on the tutorials I've read and comments made here. If I'm off-base with any of these thoughts I'll appreciate corrections from those who know better from experience.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:23 PM
WetSider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordered a Power Vision, V&H Power Duals headpipes, and Fuel Moto Stage 1 Pro Billet air cleaner on Weds of this week. Looking fwd to installing/running the bike with the new components/map supplied by FM (if'n the downpour would abate for a bit up here!). Hoping not too much tweaking needed to the FM map, but we shall see.

Thanks to all the PV contributors on this thread. I just finished making it through the pages posted thus far. Lots to digest, but really appreciate all the shared knowledge/experiences from folks.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Phochief
Advanced

Just got off the phone with a DynoJet tech who walked me through this thing. The reason none of my logs were actually making any changes to my tune was because I had not turned on HD-CAN by hitting Control-E in the log tuner software. I didn't know I needed to do that for my 2012 Fatboy.

So, I've successfully imported logs and flashed the ECM with the new settings now. Still getting some decel popping. Will do more logs over the next few days in hopes of making things better.

Another question....are my Air-Fuel Ratio (Lambda) numbers supposed to change at all after I run the Log Tuner and save a new tune or do they just stay the same unless I manually change the cells? I've got 14.6 in the 20KPa row and wonder if I should lower that number manually? Oh, and the DynoJet tech said it didn't matter if the numbers were 14.6 or 14.7 because it will still run in closed loop.

This is going to take some time learning all the whats and whys of this stuff.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Phochief
Ok, I followed the PV Tuner Basic instructions but don't see any changes in the graphs or numbers after importing my data logs. This is what I did:

I opened my original tune (the one I had already flashed to the ECM) in WinPV and created a "Value File" by checking VE front, VE rear, AFR or Lambda fuel table, and Front and Rear Spark tables and saving the file.

I then used the 319245 code, rode the bike and made three logs, about 30 minutes each.

I retrieved my logs from the PV and saved them in a folder on my PC.

I opened PV Log Tuner and set the options as instructed. I clicked on Open PVV and imported the Value File. I selected and loaded the log files.

I clicked on Calc Tune.
I clicked on Apply tune
I clicked on Apply PVV and named the new file with an 001 increment to the original file name.

I went back to WinPV and opened the original tune. I imported the newly named Value File by going to File/Load All Values and selected the new PVV file I had just created.

I saved the new tune with File/Save As and named it with an 001 increment.

I clicked on Send Tune and sent the new tune to the PV in an empy slot.

I reflashed my Fatboy with the new tune.

To see what changes had been made, I used the "Compare" feature on WinPV, but I don't see any difference between the original tune and the one I created using the data log files. All the numbers are the same.

What did I do wrong? Please help me.
Lambda needs to be set at .981 in order for the closed loop to work. If you had your AFR table set at .977 that is the reason it didn' work right.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:50 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Teardrop
Lambda needs to be set at .981 in order for the closed loop to work. If you had your AFR table set at .977 that is the reason it didn' work right.
I thought it would work between .980 and 1.02. Is .981 the real minimum?

Old 03-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick

Will keep a eye on that question if it does not get answered I will figure it out at a later date. I started to experiment but have not finished. I know for fact .977 does not work. I was going to work my way up .978, .979 etc. but I got discouraged because my auto tunes were making things worse, bike was getting hotter and some loss of power and more spark knock. I finally caught on to what was happening and I am back on track. I am blaming my exhaust system and have since changed it. My VEs were tanking from base fuel moto map. by a lot in many areas by -20 or more with each auto tune I observed they got worse. I put the VEs back where they started with exception in a area around 4000 rpm where I was spark knocking I increased VEs a little and decreased timing a little bit and bike is running good again. I am going to run more data logs ASAP and work on timing to. with the new exhaust. By the way I am really happy with my new exhaust system. I put on a S&S cycle power tune duals its a 2-1-2 head pipe with S&S quiet mufflers. Its got a real low rumble at idle and low speed at cruz speed they mellow out nicely and are not hard on the ears.

If I might ask a question about auto tune and the timing. Lets say I have set Lambda .977 I know it will not make any new VE changes. But will it make changes to timing?

Old 03-16-2012, 11:02 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

Originally Posted by iclick
.980 worked fine for me. I actually did collection runs with .977 values, but Log tuner ignored them. I could see New VE values in the log. Changed my prior value file to .980 in those areas, and it then read the New VE values in (derived from .977 setting). It's definitely a log tuner limitation.

Last edited by ColoSpgsMark; 03-16-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
.980 worked fine for me. I actually did collection runs with .977 values, but Log tuner ignored them. I could see New VE values in the log. Changed my prior value file to .980 in those areas, and it then read the New VE values in (derived from .977 setting). It's definitely a log tuner limitation.

You changed .977 to .980 in the collection/data log after you collected it at .977 than proceed with that log file and run it in log tuner?

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread