Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:24 AM
Fierofly
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iclick,
Can you ask if they can just put all the gauges in the WinPV software and WE can pick and chose and modify and we can download into the PV?

Old 03-16-2012, 08:50 AM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phochief
Just got my PV and flashed a custom tune that DynoJet emailed me for my 2012 Fatboy. Definite improvement, got rid of 99% of the decel popping and seems to be running well. Now I'd like to tweek things using Log Tuner and athough I've read every page of this thread, I'm still confused.

Looking at the PV Basic Instructions someone posted on here, it says "You must have a closed loop calibration to use Log Tuner Basic. To enable closed loop Lambda values must be between .977 and 1.02 or AFR must be 14.6."

Looking at the tune I'm using in WinPV (photo attached), a lot of the values are set to 13.0. Am I supposed to change all of those to 14.6 before running a log?

UPDATE: I think I figured this out....I just set Stoich Value to 14.6 in the PV Log Tuner Software.
No, that is just a reference - the stoich value of the fuel being used. You need to change the cells in your tune to 14.6 as that tells your ecm to run in closed loop for those cells.
I also discovered, for lambda calibrations, even though you can set AFR to .977 to run in closed loop, Log tuner will ignore those cells when calculating your new tune. Set it to .980 or higher.

Last edited by ColoSpgsMark; 03-16-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Phochief
Advanced

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
No, that is just a reference - the stoich value of the fuel being used. You need to change the cells in your tune to 14.6 as that tells your ecm to run in closed loop for those cells.
I also discovered, for lambda calibrations, even though you can set AFR to .977 to run in closed loop, Log tuner will ignore those cells when calculating your new tune. Set it to .980 or higher.
ColoSpgMark...thanks for replying to my message. I'm using a calibration tune I got from DynoJet. So that I understand correctly, you mean to go into my calibration and change the setting of every cell to 14.6? Or, do you mean just the ones that are currently blue and are at 13.0?

Thanks.....David

Attached Thumbnails Power Vision Information Thread-afr.jpg  
Old 03-16-2012, 10:22 AM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

ColoSpgMark...thanks for replying to my message. I'm using a calibration tune I got from DynoJet. So that I understand correctly, you mean to go into my calibration and change the setting of every cell to 14.6? Or, do you mean just the ones that are currently blue and are at 13.0?

Thanks.....David
Every cell that is currently not at 14.6. You'll just be able to tune within a range so I'd suggest anything 4k or less and 80 KPa or less. Above those value I wouldn't try to hit. Maybe once you get things fine tuned, you could look at those areas. In order to return to the current AFR values, you can save those off by creating a value file with just those, and then import it back in when done tuning.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:26 AM
bohica48
Cruiser

Thanks.....David
Chief,
Mine came from Fuel Moto with Lambda set at 0.981 @ 20-80Kpa, 750 to 4k rpm's.... This is what I used for all my tuning runs.... You may have decel popping in the 20Kpa column with the AFR being leaner (0.981)...

Old 03-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Phochief
Advanced

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
Every cell that is currently not at 14.6. You'll just be able to tune within a range so I'd suggest anything 4k or less and 80 KPa or less. Above those value I wouldn't try to hit. Maybe once you get things fine tuned, you could look at those areas. In order to return to the current AFR values, you can save those off by creating a value file with just those, and then import it back in when done tuning.
Ok, if I understand correctly, I went into the tune I got from DynoJet and changed all of the cells in that range to 14.6 (see attached photo). Does this look right for going out on a logging run?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Power Vision Information Thread-newafr.jpg  
Old 03-16-2012, 01:21 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up VE Smoothing / AFR table / Spark Tuning

1) Now that I am nearly satisfied with my tune, I would like to smooth the entire front/rear VE table. Do I smooth it vertically (by column) or horizontally (by row)?

2) When done tuning, is it OK to leave all my AFR table cells (that I was tuning with Log Tuner Basic) at 14.6? The original FM tune had some of the cells at 14.5.

3) Does everyone else find that Log Tuner is very slow to adjust spark values? Or is this by design where it only lowers timing by .10-.20 at a time instead of a whole degree?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:23 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Ok, if I understand correctly, I went into the tune I got from DynoJet and changed all of the cells in that range to 14.6 (see attached photo). Does this look right for going out on a logging run?

Thanks.
Every cell that you want Log Tuner Basic to adjust needs to be at 14.6. I see that you have some still at 14.7.

Also, if you are dealing with any decel popping, I would not keep the very first column (20kpa) at 14.6. What I did was keep that entire column at 13.0 and then, while out tuning, kept a mental note of what rpms I was getting decel popping and then lowered (richened) those areas up gradually. I run Short Shots on my bike and they are essentially short drag pipes and I have virtually eliminated all of my decel popping by doing this.

Last edited by jmeiers; 03-16-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:28 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jmeiers
Every cell that you want Log Tuner Basic to adjust needs to be at 14.6. I see that you have some still at 14.7.
Yup. Think of "14.6" as a toggle within the ECM
14.6 = closed loop on and collecting O2 data.
anything else = closed loop off and not collecting anything.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:33 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Looking at the PV Basic Instructions someone posted on here, it says "You must have a closed loop calibration to use Log Tuner Basic. To enable closed loop Lambda values must be between .977 and 1.02 or AFR must be 14.6."

Looking at the tune I'm using in WinPV (photo attached), a lot of the values are set to 13.0. Am I supposed to change all of those to 14.6 before running a log?
No, because many of these areas are not accessible to the stock O2 sensors. With PV Basic you can only tune the closed-loop range (those areas set to 14.6) and can theoretically set all areas between ≤80 KPA and ≤4k RPM to 14.6., then adjust the AFR you want using the Closed-Loop Bias table. Setting CLB to 798 is ~14.4:1 and 700 is ~14.6:1.

JustDennis, who wrote a tutorial on PV tuning, suggests using stock AFR settings for your first tuning runs, then extend the closed-loop range thereafter.

UPDATE: I think I figured this out....I just set Stoich Value to 14.6 in the PV Log Tuner Software.
Not everywhere, just the areas mentioned above. You will get no tuning outside the closed-loop (14.6) areas and I wouldn't go setting all areas to 14.6, as I don't know what would happen!

Last edited by iclick; 03-16-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread