Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:17 PM
turtle2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GotMy11SG
My data cable stays on the bike ALWAYS. It's routed inside the main wiring harness under the seat and fuel tank.
But they NEED to make a protective CAP to go over the end of the cable, for those times when the PV is disconnected. Remember, anytime your ignition switch is "On", those wires are "Live". I experimented with some home remedies, but never came up with anything worth a darn. If anybody has a solution, we are in need of a hero!!!
Get you a pack of vacuum hose rubber caps...assorted sizes

Old 03-13-2012, 06:33 AM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
How wide is the part that clamps to the bar? Trying to gauge if it would fit between the fat boy risers, there isn't much space in there.
It measures about 1-3/8" so if you have an 1"1/4 it should fit. Comes in black too if you have black bars. :-)

Old 03-13-2012, 07:18 AM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by turtle2
Get you a pack of vacuum hose rubber caps...assorted sizes
...Like I said, I went through that phase, now it's time to get REAL.
Putting a round cap on a square plug ain't no good. If it's tight enough to seal, it squeezes the plug out of shape. Then when you take it off, the plug won't slide into the PV properly. These rubber bolt covers were the best I could come up with, but like I said, I don't recommend using them.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:59 AM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

How about using some 100% pure silicone? Apply it from the tube ( you could make some sort of "dam" around the plug, ie, blue painters tape), let it cure, pull it off and voila!.....custom sealed cap....

Last edited by SGLarry; 03-13-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

When I am in bad weather I am unplugging the PV from the ECM and keep on riding I am not worrying about it.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:29 PM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My data cable stays on the bike ALWAYS. It's routed inside the main wiring harness under the seat and fuel tank.
But they NEED to make a protective CAP to go over the end of the cable, for those times when the PV is disconnected. Remember, anytime your ignition switch is "On", those wires are "Live". I experimented with some home remedies, but never came up with anything worth a darn. If anybody has a solution, we are in need of a hero!!!
I made my own wiring harness with the proper male and female deutsch connectors on each end and ran it from the ECU port, under the tank, into the batwing fairing, then out of the fairing next to the handlebars near the dash with the 4 switches in it. I then purchased the proper weatherproof plug for the female deutsch connector next to the handlebars to seal it up. When I want to use the PV, I simply remove the weatherproof plug from the deutsch connector where it comes out of the fairing next the handlebars and plug in the PV cable. I just coil the excess cable from the PV around my techmount ball mount shaft.

The deutsch connectors and weather plug were about $20 if I remember correctly and I already had the crimping tool for the pins because I used to make custom harnesses for my dragstrip car and for friends cars as they needed them.

For those needing part numbers and a deutsch connector tutorial you can go here.

You can obtain the proper weatherproof plug for the female plug at the Harley dealer. It's the same plug used for the female deutsch connector for plugging in additional accessories controlled by the Aux switch on the inner fairing dash.

Last edited by wlibert; 03-13-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 PM
fxdc rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a question. did my first data log the othe day and now im in the process of trying to tune. im using that easy step guide from this thread and when i get to step 6 (configure log tuner software) is where i get hung up. i have the win pv software loaded but dont have or cant find on the cd anything close to "log tuner software". i am able to view my fuel moto tune through win pv and was able to save my log but i cant view it in win pv. is there some place i can download the "log tuner software" so i can edit my tune from the data log?

Old 03-13-2012, 11:09 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

...Like I said, I went through that phase, now it's time to get REAL.
Putting a round cap on a square plug ain't no good. If it's tight enough to seal, it squeezes the plug out of shape. Then when you take it off, the plug won't slide into the PV properly. These rubber bolt covers were the best I could come up with, but like I said, I don't recommend using them.
I have some small Ziplock bags purchased on Ebay that I've used for this sort of occasion. They can be fitted over the end of the cable and zipped to a fairly tight closure, but it wouldn't be fully waterproof any more than caps would be. Here's a quick shot of the bag and a USB cable. They would have a finite lifespan if used frequently and aren't very attractive, but they are cheap and disposable, and could be tucked inside the fairing when the gauge is off.

Attached Thumbnails Power Vision Information Thread-imag0054.jpg  
Old 03-13-2012, 11:23 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Ever since buying the PV a year ago I've been complaining to my contact at DJ about the gauge panels. For my uses there are too many and only the digital type are useful for daylight viewing. They could completely eliminate the analog gauges as far as I'm concerned, and when I did an informal survey here a few months ago others seemed to agree.

Since this isn't the highest priority for PV upgrades I sent my contact another reminder yesterday and received a favorable response today. He asked me how I and others felt about the ordering of the screens, and if any gauges could be eliminated without anyone missing them. I replied that they could nix all the analog gauges and recommended the following order:

(1) 4-gauge (light text, dark background)
(2) 4-gauge (dark text, light background)
(3) 6-gauge (dark text, light background)
(4) 6-gauge (light text, dark background)

I don't use other gauge panels but the remaining digital gauges could be placed after the above in sequence. I use #2 and #3 for daylight use (light background, black text) and toggling between them would be much easier if they were together. I have #1 and #4 set up as night gauges (black background, dark orange text), but I use these very rarely.

I'd like to get ideas from everyone who uses the gauge panels on (1) order preferred and (2) what gauges you could live without. I suggested a separate selection screen where we could check or uncheck those to be viewed, but based on the email I received today I think they are thinking more about an easier solution, to eliminate some gauges and re-order those that remain.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:01 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdc rider
i have a question. did my first data log the othe day and now im in the process of trying to tune. im using that easy step guide from this thread and when i get to step 6 (configure log tuner software) is where i get hung up. i have the win pv software loaded but dont have or cant find on the cd anything close to "log tuner software". i am able to view my fuel moto tune through win pv and was able to save my log but i cant view it in win pv. is there some place i can download the "log tuner software" so i can edit my tune from the data log?

http://www.dynojet.com/newdynojet/do...Power%20Vision

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread