Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 01:39 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Same Arkon mount on my FBL:

I like the looks of that eCaddy Deluxe tho

Old 03-12-2012, 01:42 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SGLarry
I've seen some posts from a few looking for decent easy on/off mounting hardware. This mount from Leader MC Products has been working great for me:

http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/PROD/ED-CH-GPS.html

It's chrome and it doesn't look bad on the bars when the PV is removed. It basically just slides in and out of the mount in about 2 seconds! It comes with a a safety screw if you're worried about it coming off. I haven't used the screw and have had no problems. I also counter sunk some holes in the mounting plate so the screws on the back plate would be flush. It works great for gps's too. They also have a movable extention that gives you the ability to put it at any angle you want, but the mount alone works fine for me.

Larry
How wide is the part that clamps to the bar? Trying to gauge if it would fit between the fat boy risers, there isn't much space in there.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:59 PM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Udawg
That's the best looking one I've seen. Do they make it for a GPS that will be secure too or just the clip in and out ones. I want to mount the GPS permanently so I don't have to take it off every time I stop at a restaurant.
If you look at the picture where it shows it's mounted. You can see a small hole in the side of the bar mount. there is a safety screw that you can put in there that requires a small allen wrench. That would be somewhat of a deturrent for anyone to just yank it off without having the wrench let alone the proper size. If you're worried about it you could just slideit off and lock it in your saddlebag? They do have a bunch of different mounts and extetions....I'm sure you could find something that woul be secure.

Last edited by SGLarry; 03-12-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used a piece of 2" flat stock and a single 1" ball mount to attach my PV and Zumo to a single RAM Mount on my Dyna. I can pop the whole thing off, or just the Zumo, and lock it up in my bags if I'm going to be away for a while. I really like having them right in line with my speedo.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:11 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

What I am most worried about, as far as mounting goes, is the actual data cable connection from the side of the PV. Does anyone think this will wear out over time?

Even with all the mounts posted, everyone still has to disconnect the data cable to completely remove the PV from the bike.... right?

Old 03-12-2012, 03:25 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeiers
Black Denim w/o much chrome left!!!
You need a little chrome so you can find the bike at night.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:32 PM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeiers
What I am most worried about, as far as mounting goes, is the actual data cable connection from the side of the PV. Does anyone think this will wear out over time?

Even with all the mounts posted, everyone still has to disconnect the data cable to completely remove the PV from the bike.... right?
My data cable stays on the bike ALWAYS. It's routed inside the main wiring harness under the seat and fuel tank.
But they NEED to make a protective CAP to go over the end of the cable, for those times when the PV is disconnected. Remember, anytime your ignition switch is "On", those wires are "Live". I experimented with some home remedies, but never came up with anything worth a darn. If anybody has a solution, we are in need of a hero!!!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:57 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GotMy11SG
My data cable stays on the bike ALWAYS. It's routed inside the main wiring harness under the seat and fuel tank.
But they NEED to make a protective CAP to go over the end of the cable, for those times when the PV is disconnected. Remember, anytime your ignition switch is "On", those wires are "Live". I experimented with some home remedies, but never came up with anything worth a darn. If anybody has a solution, we are in need of a hero!!!
My cable stays on the bike always too. What I meant was the constant disconnecting and reconnecting of the cable to the port on the side. Is the plug or port connection gonna wear out over time?

Old 03-12-2012, 09:16 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GotMy11SG
how about a condom ??? ... i was just thinking of maybe wrap PV connector tight with some plastic and make a mold out of wax.. then once mold is done and carved out.. u can pour some hot plastic or a mix of epoxy and make a dummy male connector... still winter here, will try something once my scoot comes out of storeage... just an idea..

Old 03-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

I keep a small clear sandwich bag in my windshield bag than can be easily slipped over the entire PV should I get caught in the rain. If the PV is off the bike, I simply tuck the connector end of the cable back inside the fairing through the handlebar opening.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread