Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 11:22 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

From the PV FWIW Dept., I experienced a minor anomaly on Sunday during a long ride and thought I would share the info. I was about 75 miles into the 275-mile ride and noticed my gas mileage on the PV gauge was about 6mpg lower than I would expect. Switching to the Lambda gauge I saw ~.89 regardless of TP, so I assumed I had flashed my rich tune (13.0:1 across-the-board) by mistake. I had indeed done that but had labeled it as the normal tune, so I had two tunes exactly the same, and much richer than I normally run. The richer tune is there for emergency use when temps get too high and some additional cooling is needed. I did another long ride yesterday with the proper tune installed, this one with 14.6:1 in the cruise range, the one other difference being the weather was about 10° warmer. During the day-long ride I had time to observe the bike's behavior running way richer than it normally would be.

I sensed a tad more part-throttle response, but had I not known the rich tune was installed I definitely would not have noticed a difference. I don't consider the difference to be meaningful, as if I want more performance I'll just twist the throttle a bit more, as eventually I'll be into the 13.0:1 region of the tune anyway.

Gas mileage was down about 6mpg for the trip, and I was surprised that I averaged as high as 40mpg mostly on backroads going 55-60mph. It was at around 46mpg yesterday.

ET was no different than what I normally see for a 60° day, running around 210° most of the day and 215-220° for the leaner tune on the warmer day. Oil temps stayed at around 180° most of the day on Sunday (richer) and ~200° on Tuesday (leaner), so on Sunday OT may have been running a bit lower than I might normally see.

Anyway, this may not be of much interest to anyone since I don't think many would want to run this rich in the cruise range, but I thought I would share the info. One other thing I noticed was that I did smell gas occasionally, mostly on decel, but my friends behind me said they saw no black smoke emitting from the exhaust. The bike ran great, but with so little positive advantage to running this rich I would certainly never do it again, consciously anyway, and I doubt if a midpoint setting (e.g., 13.8) would do much more on this bike than decrease gas mileage.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:29 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Teardrop
Yep. Maybe they weren't ready for the next version. I will be installing cams this weekend and after that I will be doing some data log runs. After reading all the threads and asking a couple questions I think I have it down with the exception of setting retarding the spark tables. if the cells has 45.00 and I set it to 42.00 would that be retarding the timing 3*.
I personally wouldn't use this technique, but you do have the concept correct about the values representing degrees of advance. Are you installing 255 cams? If so, when I did my cam job I though for sure I would have to retard the timing in some areas since the cams increase CCP somewhat over stock. To my surprise I found that it would take 2-3° more in the cruise range than the stock cams, which I attribute to other characteristics of the cams like duration asserting their influence. With the stock cams, adding even 1° of advance in the cruise range induced audible detonation even with 93-octane gas, although I had 3-4° at WOT at higher RPMs, the same as the stock tune. YMMV since I have an '07 and the tune will be quite different.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Flinter
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been playing with the Decel Enleanment to get rid of decel popping. I have the last 4 numbers at 20 and still get popping...especially in town.

I'm really thinking of lowering the Decel Enleanment Multiplier. Can anyone tell me exactly what this does? Also, how much is too much?

From what I've seen on my program it looks like this is the number to change once you take the other enleanment number to a certain point. Am I on the right track?

The bike has great power now, but that popping is driving me nuts!

Oh yeah, just to rule out air leaks I've already changed my exhaust gaskets and checked the O2 sensors. Everything is good to go there.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I personally wouldn't use this technique, but you do have the concept correct about the values representing degrees of advance. Are you installing 255 cams? If so, when I did my cam job I though for sure I would have to retard the timing in some areas since the cams increase CCP somewhat over stock. To my surprise I found that it would take 2-3° more in the cruise range than the stock cams, which I attribute to other characteristics of the cams like duration asserting their influence. With the stock cams, adding even 1° of advance in the cruise range induced audible detonation even with 93-octane gas, although I had 3-4° at WOT at higher RPMs, the same as the stock tune. YMMV since I have an '07 and the tune will be quite different.
I will be installing SE204 cams in the morning and I have a map for that setup from FM. I was planning on doing some tuning runs this weekend as it is (according to the weatherman) going to warm up some. I am still trying to understand the whole concept of tuning with the PV. I was planning on giving FM a call on Friday just to make sure I am setting the map up correctly. I feel I am about 90% there as far as understanding how it works.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:21 PM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flinter
I've been playing with the Decel Enleanment to get rid of decel popping. I have the last 4 numbers at 20 and still get popping...especially in town.

I'm really thinking of lowering the Decel Enleanment Multiplier. Can anyone tell me exactly what this does? Also, how much is too much?

From what I've seen on my program it looks like this is the number to change once you take the other enleanment number to a certain point. Am I on the right track?

Oh yeah, just to rule out air leaks I've already changed my exhaust gaskets and checked the O2 sensors. Everything is good to go there.
Try lowering (richening) the AFR in the 20kpa column to 12.8 from 3500 rpm down to 1500 rpm then 13.8 at 1250 down to 750 rpm...that took care of the popping for me. I also cut the decel enleanment values in 1/2, but richening the afr in the 20 kpa got rid of the decel poping.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:59 PM
RLE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flinter

In my fm map the 20 kpa column from 5000 down to 1750 afr was set at 12.0, and 1500 down to 750 was set at 13.0. I had to lower the afr to 11.6 from 5000 down to 1750 to get completely rid of decel popping. At 1500 dowm to 750 I left it at 13.0 (that low of rpm wont have much to do with decel).
I started by lowering it down to 11.5, there was no popping. Figured id try it at 11.7 just to dial the fuel back a bit, and there was a slight popping occasionally. Split the difference and set it to 11.6 and its working great. Didnt just get rid of popping but also made it sound awesome on decel.
I guess what im saying is try small changes and take mental note of the impact.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:25 PM
wadejesu
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Power Vision

AS I look at this and many other posts and forums, WTF!,? Dyno jet advertises simple tunning no PC, plug&play. and when you read this forum everybody is trying to be a scientist. Why in the hell can't somebody invent a system to take away all the guess work. I see riders spending countless hours trying to define their tune. I'm going back to my Cushman Eagle.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

[quote=wadejesu;9494192]AS I look at this and many other posts and forums, WTF!,? Dyno jet advertises simple tunning no PC, plug&play. and when you read this forum everybody is trying to be a scientist. Why in the hell can't somebody invent a system to take away all the guess work.quote]

Because that would take all the fun out of it..

Old 03-08-2012, 07:06 AM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wadejesu
AS I look at this and many other posts and forums, WTF!,? Dyno jet advertises simple tunning no PC, plug&play. and when you read this forum everybody is trying to be a scientist. Why in the hell can't somebody invent a system to take away all the guess work. I see riders spending countless hours trying to define their tune. I'm going back to my Cushman Eagle.
I know the other guys on the PV thread will agree with me, but here is the two hardest things about tuning with the Power Vision Tuner...
#1: You have to own a Harley Davidson Motorcycle.
#2: You have to be willing to ride it.
...and when you're done, you might ride it some more, just to be sure you're done... but as you were riding, your finger accidently touched the "start log" button... Oh, darn, I guess I'll have to ride some more!

Old 03-08-2012, 11:30 AM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wadejesu
A PCV from Fuel Moto is pretty much "plug & play". You might have a few minor issues, but But FM most likely will work with you and solve them easily...... the Power Vision is for us who like to "tinker" and fine tune. Now that I have a handle on how things are with the PV it's actually fun!

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread