Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 04:07 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Awesome thread!!!

I just started using the PowerVision on my Street Bob. Bought mine thru FuelMoto too. Great customer service! Also, I been reading through this tread over the last few days, but still have about 100 pages to go.

I loaded the FuelMoto map and took it out for a ride and it was pinging in every gear almost immediately after tip-in. I could make it ping on command. So, what I did was copy all the stock spark tables into the FuelMoto map with no other changes and this removed almost 95% of the pinging. Although, I could just start the Logtuner Basic process and get rid of the last part bit of pinging but I feel like I am probably gonna leave some timing on the table unnecessarily in other parts of the map.

I have some questions for you seasoned Power Vision tuners:

1) I wanted to see if some of you guys with well-tuned spark tables could post them here so I could compare. Yes, I am aware all bikes are different so I don't plan to just copy/paste verbatim from your map to mine. I just want to compare a well-tuned spark table against my stock one and the Fuel Moto provided one to see how different parts of the map trend with spark advancing and retarding.

2) I am getting ready to start the LogTuner process. The instructions say that all the areas that are being tuned must be at 14.6 for closed-loop tuning. Now, the stock map has most of the areas set to 14.6. However, I am using the Fuel Moto map and some areas are 14.5. Will these areas not be covered by the LogTuner Basic or are they covered because if I switch the table view to Lambda values, they are in the specified range of .98-1.02?

3) Is it really necessary to disable AE/DE/PE while logtuning? The instructions say to log these but then the tips section says you will see better results if those are disabled.

I am sure I will have more questions as I go along. Hopefully I can start some tuning runs tomorrow after this rain passes today.

Thanks, Jason

Old 03-02-2012, 07:23 PM
883_dave
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like there is New Powervision Software for the 32 bit version that came out today on the Dynojet Website. Anyone know what the differences are? The readme file does not seem current.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 883_dave
Looks like there is New Powervision Software for the 32 bit version that came out today on the Dynojet Website. Anyone know what the differences are? The readme file does not seem current.

I just tried to download the new software but a window poped up and said I had a newer version.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:33 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Attachment 236091
Originally Posted by jmeiers
1) I wanted to see if some of you guys with well-tuned spark tables could post them here so I could compare. Yes, I am aware all bikes are different so I don't plan to just copy/paste verbatim from your map to mine. I just want to compare a well-tuned spark table against my stock one and the Fuel Moto provided one to see how different parts of the map trend with spark advancing and retarding.
Here's mine (attached), along with the deltas (at right) comparing my current tables with those of the stock tune. You may need to load the JPG in a viewer or photo-editing app to see it clearly, as it is at the forum's maximum allowable size.

Keep in mind that I'm running SE255 cams, so it's an apple-oranges comparison between the two. I'm not sure how this will help in tuning your SB, though. Rather than look at tables from other bikes, I would look at those from like bikes that have been tuned, if available, or just go through the prescribed spark-tuning process.

Be aware that before installing the PV I had a PCV-AT and tuned the advance in the cruise range by ear after installing the cams using a PCV map from Fuel Moto. There was no difference between the FM map for stock (FM Stage 1) vs. the same setup with the cam upgrade, although Fuel Adj. tables were quite different. This area has not shown any spark retard with tuning, but if it is increased 2° I get audible detonation. I'm leaving that buffer in place to cover variance in gas quality, and so far it has been fine. The areas at 80-100% TP are the original FM values with some minor changes made after tuning with the Log Tuner.

2) I am getting ready to start the LogTuner process. The instructions say that all the areas that are being tuned must be at 14.6 for closed-loop tuning. Now, the stock map has most of the areas set to 14.6. However, I am using the Fuel Moto map and some areas are 14.5. Will these areas not be covered by the LogTuner Basic or are they covered because if I switch the table view to Lambda values, they are in the specified range of .98-1.02?
I'll leave this topic to those who've tuned with Basic, as I have the AT-100 and have only used the "Pro" procedure. (I must put that in quotes, as the label makes me chuckle when I think about my tuning prowess.)

I will say that if set to anything other than 14.6 on an AFR bike (non-TBW) you'll be running in open-loop, or at least that's the way it works with my '07. Instead of using the .98-1.02 Lambda method, my bike sets closed-loop to 14.6, then can be altered in the Close-Loop Bias table, which I assume you have too.

3) Is it really necessary to disable AE/DE/PE while logtuning? The instructions say to log these but then the tips section says you will see better results if those are disabled.
IMO, no. AE/DE affects only transitions, so most of the tuning range will be unaffected. As for PE, I've set mine to the same values as WOT (13.0), so it doesn't affect anything at all in my case. Anyway PE affects only 95% TP and above (for our cable-throttle bikes), and you can't tune AFRs in that range with Basic. I can't see it causing trouble for spark tuning since you'll be running with those settings anyway. Disabling AE/DE adds more steps to the tuning process and you can't just push the "Start Log" button while riding, so I just quit doing it after a while. Jamie told me that was okay to do, so that's good enough for me.

Attached Thumbnails Power Vision Information Thread-spark-tables.jpg  

Last edited by iclick; 03-02-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:36 AM
883_dave
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Teardrop
I just tried to download the new software but a window poped up and said I had a newer version.
I did not try to download the "New" software yet. I usually wait a week or so after things come out on the DJ website before downloading to give time for any glitches to be found/worked-out. Maybe it's just a typo on the website and not really "New" software.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 883_dave
I did not try to download the "New" software yet. I usually wait a week or so after things come out on the DJ website before downloading to give time for any glitches to be found/worked-out. Maybe it's just a typo on the website and not really "New" software.
Damn good idea!

Old 03-04-2012, 05:42 AM
Fierofly
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yay!! I've Finally read all these pages!! First I'd like to thank all you pioneers for all your hard work.

I've been doing some tuning runs (12 or so) with good and BAD results on the bike listed below.

I've got a FuelMoto map that's for a Woods 555 cam cause they didn't have one for a S&S 570. Runs good no decel popping, good accel, but fuel smell at idle. So I figured it could use some tweeking. I've made a few tuning mistakes like using the code and after a hour long ride and really getting all the bases covered realizing I forgot to START LOG!!!
I've tryed using 2 different MAPS, 1 for logging (with the AFR's all set to 14.6 and the whole timing table adjusted so it didn't det.) NOT GOOD!!
So I'm now ready to start over, I've reloaded the stock tune and flashed with the FM map and downloaded into the PV.

Question

1. Can I get a good tune by just loading the code and riding without turning anything on or off? Or do I need a seperate map for tuning and one for normal riding? If so what will this tuning map consist of?

Thanks MUCH for your Patience!!!

Old 03-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Dudlee
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Assigning global signals? Do I have to assign the 14 or so channels listed in the manual to a window on the PV or are they all monitored automatically? I thought you only needed to assign them to a screen display if you wanted to watch them while you ride.. All the channels show up on my PV but i havent put them in a window, either analog or digital, to display on the PV while logging?
I'm not getting Economy MPG to show anything. no trip a or b mileage is showing anything either..
I have Firmware version 1.0.7-999

Old 03-05-2012, 08:36 AM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

I just completed my first set of tuning runs. I took the approach of setting A/F Lambda to .982 across my entire tunable range, disabling AE/DE, PE, knock control, adaptive control, Reduced timing by 4 degrees, etc... After 3, 30 minute rides, I've been able get my VE's so that they change right around 1 point or less per ride. I did a test ride monitoring the O2 integrator values for both cylinders and they were ranging between 97% and 103% for the most part. No pinging logged either, but that may not happen with knock control turned off.

Now, I'm returning my A/F values to where there were originally - mostly closed loop still, but varied depending up rpm/load. All of the other stuff I disabled is back on, and I've put 4 degrees of timing back. Next steps are to do some more runs to fine tune things and get VE's and spark advance dialed in.

Question: Would it still be advantageous to leave adaptive control off until completed, or does PV work around this? It's my guesstimate that adaptive control will update the trim tables and slow down fine tuning the VE's

I also used the 319245 code and that made collecting tuning data a breeze. Nice to be able to monitor the cells being hit, like TTS, to know you've got sufficient data, and to force some cells that are otherwise hard to hit.

Used the interpolate function to fill in a couple of cells that were missed also. I am curious when folks start using smoothing in their tunes. Right now, I'm not touching it, but think I'll use that once I get near then end. Smooth areas surrounding peaks, then do another collection run to tweak those areas that smoothing may have unset a little.

Last edited by ColoSpgsMark; 03-05-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:24 PM
wadejesu
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Pv-2

Tried to load map on 2012 Softail Slim, Saved stock map ok, but now I get Unrecognized Model 2012 JRV and call tech support message . Got any ideas?

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread