Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 12:09 PM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nozzleman 216
I know I won't need it to "run" WinPV but I will in order to datalog and make changes?
You'll have everything you need to tune and make any changes with the data log and winpv software provided by dynojet. This link was is very helpful http://www.box.net/shared/i66qvn4xf1s2xp7fgy8v I've had the PV for about a week now and already made a few data log runs and made new map calibrations. Im digin' it!!

Last edited by SGLarry; 02-12-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:08 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I know I won't need it to "run" WinPV but I will in order to datalog and make changes?
You don't need excel at all to use the PV or make datalogs or adjust your tune. It is helpful if you want to look at the data collected while you are riding but you don't need it at all to get the full functionality out of the PV. The link Larry posted above is in my sig as well.

Another note. I had the TTS as well and switched to the PV. The tables are all the same since they come fromt he ECM. The PV is just easier to use. No laptop, no additional display needed, etc. You shouldn't have any trouble at all.

Last edited by JustDennis; 02-14-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:55 PM
Nozzleman 216
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Brother, that's good and reassuring to hear. I will definitely read the tutorial you made.

Originally Posted by JustDennis
You don't need excel at all to use the PV or make datalogs or adjust your tune. It id helpful if you want to look at the data collected while you are riding but you don't need it at all to get the full functionality out of the PV. The link Larry posted above is in my sig as well.

Another note. I had the TTS as well and switched to the PV. The tables are all the same since they come fromt he ECM. The PV is just easier to use. No laptop, no additional display needed, etc. You shouldn't have any trouble at all.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:45 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks Brother, that's good and reassuring to hear. I will definitely read the tutorial you made.
Without a doubt, that tutorial is what I consider the 'bible' getting started with PV tuning. There is very little PV tuning info out there on the general web. That doc combined with this thread, and the experts on it, should be all you need to get a great tune on your own. Just read, and re-read that doc. Be sure to pay attention to the sections that apply to what O2 sensors you're going to tune with (NB stock, or DJ WB). The procedures are different.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:22 PM
fxdc rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thankfully i bought my pv from jamie at fuel moto and they are programing a custom map for me because after sifting through 176 pages im more confused than ever. is there a tuning efi harleys for retards i can get that explains the terminolagy and how to read the colerfull ve tables and when to know if you increase or decrease numbers in the ve table or spark knock adjustments? why are the ve charts colored, and what color is good or bad? sorry but im just not comprehending this stuff yet

Old 02-14-2012, 08:16 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 707 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdc rider
thankfully i bought my pv from jamie at fuel moto and they are programing a custom map for me because after sifting through 176 pages im more confused than ever. is there a tuning efi harleys for retards i can get that explains the terminolagy and how to read the colerfull ve tables and when to know if you increase or decrease numbers in the ve table or spark knock adjustments? why are the ve charts colored, and what color is good or bad? sorry but im just not comprehending this stuff yet
You don't really need to know. All you need to do is import a value table to the Log Tuner software, it knows what to do for you.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

So if the stock sensors measure AFR then why do we need to put the AFR table at 14.6 in order to set the VE tables?

Old 02-14-2012, 11:27 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Teardrop
So if the stock sensors measure AFR then why do we need to put the AFR table at 14.6 in order to set the VE tables?
You don't have to change it unless you're running the autotune and Log Tuner Pro. You have to take it out of closed loop mode (by setting to something other than 14.6) because you have the WB O2 sensors in there instead of the stock sensors, and you'd get an CE light since the ECM knows nothing about the WB O2 sensors. All it would know is that it didn't see the stock O2 sensors.

The stock O2 sensors just tell the ECM if it's metering the correct amount of fuel to meet the requirements of the AFR table in cruise range. The AFR table is a request. You put in there whatever you want, and based on VE, MAP, ET, O2, RPM, TP, etc the ECM delivers the amount of fuel required to meet that request. The stock sensors provide a 'trim' level of sensing, thus the 'narrow' connotation. They are only good 14.5-15.2 or thereabouts. The only reason they are there is to meet EPA requirements for a complete combustion in a specific narrow range of RPM/Engine load.

VE is just a map/model of how the engine actually breathes in comparison to an average of all HD engines of the same type. What HD puts in there from the factory they figure is 'good enough'. With the PV you can actually model how YOUR specific engine breathes. No two stock engines will breath exactly the same. This is also the beauty of the PV, when you make a change (AC, exhaust, cam, etc) to the engine, you can do tuning runs to update the VE tables for the new breathing characteristics. You can leave all the other stuff alone if you had already setup the desired AFR table. With the new VE tables representing the new breathing characteristics the ECM will provide the correct amount of fuel to meet the same AFR requested. Only now it will be more or less fuel to meet the same AFR since the amount of air going in/out of the engine (VE) has changed (more or less depending on mods done).

*Experts, please correct any of this if I'm off here.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:40 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Teardrop
You kinda answered your own question. The stock sensors measure AFR in a very narrow range centered at 14.6. When you gather a data log, what you are doing is seeing how much it varies from 14.6 at the current settings. To really simplify the process, Let's say a particular cell is running at 14.59 as measured by the sensors. The data would tell you that you need to adjust the VE so the fuel delivery would be changed to get you to 14.6. Once the VEs are accurately set, you could then change the cell to another AFR, say 13.8, and all the variables including VEs would be calibrated so the ECM could accurately calculate fuel delivery to achieve 13.8. The job of the stock O2 sensors is to keep the bike at the EPA mandated 14.6 for best emissions. If you take the bike out of closed loop by changing away from 14.6, then they can't measure the AFR. You are using the stock O2 sensors to fine "tune" the map by setting the VEs to match the volumetric efficiency characteristics of your bike.

Many maps come with the cruise range set to 14.6 so there is not need to change the AFR to tune those areas with the stock O2 sensors.

Beasleyiv - you are spot on.

Last edited by JustDennis; 02-15-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:46 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fxdc rider
Click the link in my sig to get a basic PV tuning guide that I put together. It is a simple set of instructions to get you going. Come back here to ask questions and we will be glad to help. You probably noticed that a lot of the 176 pages are helping one forum member or another.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread