Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 05:25 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Yardstick
You guys are correct...map and AT sensor will allow adjustment for altitude. Man, I heard the pop. (head comes out butt). O2 is more for maintaining the emissions vs environmental changes. Brain fart remembering the carb days.
No worries man. I usually shy away from correcting anyone on here, but I know we got some 'green' PV guys keeping tabs on this thread and didn't want them to get confused. I'm just learning with the rest, further along than some, but way behind the experts on this thread.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

No, I don't take it in the wrong way...I take it as a conversation where both side are learning.

However, further thought on the matter:

We all know or have heard of Trim tables. My understand of the trim table is a value to adjust the amount of gas sprayed to maintain a target value (AFR or Lamda)...right? So, if that is true then O2 feedback is necessary to obtain the Trim Values. MAP is used along with RPM to determine the AFR value target. But, without O2 feedback the ECU has no means of determining whether you are richer or leaner. Time open on the fuel injectors come from a table or is calculated based on VE, MAP and RPM. But, w/o the o/2 sensor input the ECM will not know for sure if the target AFR is obtained. O2 feedback is used to determine the trim value..whether that is a calculated addition or subtraction of miliseconds or a calculation of a percentage of the open time established.

The would be so much easier to show using the tables available to us. Anyway, the point isn't that O2 sensors are mandatory to allow the bike to run correctly.....Fuel injection has been used w/o them. But, back then a dyno tune would have been necessary to figure out whether more fuel was needed or not. With O2 sensors in the loop the self adjustment ability becomes available.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:30 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Yep, sounds about right. Without the feedback from the sensors it's just using pre-defined tables based on MAP, VE, RPM, ET and whatever else. There is no fine tuning it in the narrow band, and the trim tables and bias tables are of no use if I understand correctly. IMHO those NB sensors operate in such a small space they are of no use unless you want to ensure a 14.7:1 ratio in the cruise range for EPA compliance or complete combustion. I think the first thing anyone does with a tuner is fatten up the AFR to cool the engine and get more go go power.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:17 PM
eddiepoindexter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question untitled.pvt???

So I got my PV a few weeks back (Thanks Jamie!), and one of the things I've noticed is when I ran "Get Tune From PV..." for the first time it was listed the same as the tune was in that "Slot" After saving that tune to my PC, making some tweeks to it and adding it to slot 2 with a new name I have this problem, now no matter what tune I pick, slot one or two when I run "Get Tune From PV" and pick one and load it, it's listed as "untitled.pvd". I can look at it and see the differences so I know what tune I'm looking at, and it has the correct name if I drill down into the tree, Tune Info, Calabration ID, the name is correct.
What's up with this???

: EP

Old 02-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Linville Lion
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yardstick
Lionville lion. Trim tables are a long term adjustment to how much fuel is needed given feedback from the sensors vs what the ECU calculates based on table inputs (VE vs AFR). The trim table values don't affect VE. However, the VE tables will affect how much trim is required
Okay, Got that, thanks. So if I do not reset the trim tables when loading a new tune, will the trim table continue to adjust based on their prior settings even if the new tune goes from closed to open loop?

Old 02-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Jester750
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turtle2
Not true,
All years of harley EFI's have that feature, but a different plug "might" change
when it sees a knock, because of a different resitance of that plug. But thats been hard to prove that a different plug is causing a problem with this feature.
This is what someone who called NGK about this issue replied to this thread:

Originally Posted by northeastconfederate
I haven't used them, but just spoke to NGK's tech dept and got a good explanation of how the ion sensing system works, and they NGK plugs work just fine with the system.
Here's that thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...ml#post9373607

Well, I put out this question to Fuel Moto whom I consider an expert on the subject, and here is their response:

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
We recommend using the stock plugs for best results and to ensure the ion knock retard works properly
Here is the thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/fuel-m...ark-plugs.html

I am not surprized that NGK said their plugs would work without any problem with the ion sensing system. They run a business selling spark plugs. If they said that they would not work, and word got out, especially how it does now with the internet. People would not buy their plugs and the company would lose business.

Fuel Moto has nothing to gain or lose on this information.
I think that I will stick to the experts opinion and stay with the stock plugs. Especially when I am trying to tune the EFI and get the most out of the PowerVision.

I'm not trying to start a contraversy.
I'm just trying to cut through the guess work and BS and get legitimate informtion.
I'm now just passing that information on.

Anyone who wants to run a different plug, the choice is up to them.
It's a free country.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,545 Likes on 2,700 Posts

Well, I put out this question to Fuel Moto whom I consider an expert on the subject, and here is their response:

Here is the thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/fuel-m...ark-plugs.html
I am not surprized that NGK said their plugs would work without any problem with the ion sensing system. They run a business selling spark plugs. If they said that they would not work, and word got out, especially how it does now with the internet. People would not buy their plugs and the company would lose business.
At the same time you could argue that it would be very bad/stupid for NGK to allow people to buy a product that they know doesnt work - thats the kind of feedback that really makes it on to the internet.

That said, I'll always just buy stock plugs, LOL

Old 02-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Jester750
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keithhu
At the same time you could argue that it would be very bad/stupid for NGK to allow people to buy a product that they know doesnt work - thats the kind of feedback that really makes it on to the internet.
I'm not saying NGK plugs will not work in the bike.
I'm just saying that they and any other plug besides the stock one disable the anti-knock feature of the EFI system.
I guess the bike could live without it.

I personally want every available system and it's information working on my bike. Especially while trying to tune it.

Last edited by Jester750; 02-10-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:38 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by turtle2
Not true,
All years of harley EFI's have that feature, but a different plug "might" change
when it sees a knock, because of a different resitance of that plug. But thats been hard to prove that a different plug is causing a problem with this feature.
I ran Autolites for quite a while and had no problems with the knock sensor function, nor is it a problem now with HD Gold plugs.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:50 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
if you don't have ms office (excel), and don't want to spend the money on it, you can try openoffice (http://www.openoffice.org). it will read, and edit, ms excel spreadsheets, and it's free.
You can also read the files with Google Docs, which is also free and doesn't require you to install anything.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread