Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,589 Likes on 2,718 Posts

Flashed it last night and had it out today for about an hour - seemed to run just fine, probably a bit stronger, but not sure if that's my imagination, but nothing outrageously different, I have to say.

One thing is for sure - no more decel popping. Prior to the PV it would do it occasionally, but not very often and certainly nothing I was concerned about but now its pretty much gone from what I can tell.

Also seems to "tick" less when cruising or decelerating from cruising. But again, could be my imagination.

At any rate, seems to run fine.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Udawg
HDF Community Team
Received 148 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Also seems to "tick" less when cruising or decelerating from cruising. But again, could be my imagination.

At any rate, seems to run fine.
I just got a new map from FM and flashed it today and went for a 4 hour ride. It was perfect. I didn't think they could get it this close on the first set of logs but it was perfect. I also thought it had less ticking so maybe it's not just me. Those guys are sure good at what they do.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:18 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicky Pass
I just got my Power Vision about 2 hours ago. After talking with Brian at Fuelmoto, and him telling me that Vance and Hines Dresser Duals and Rinehart 4" slip-ons are a very common set up for them.....I'm hoping that all I have to do is flash and go!

That is all you have to do but I would suggest at least doing some tuning runs to set the VEs for your bike even if you don't change anything else. However, there is a lot of potential in the PV.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:06 AM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDennis
I would load the map you are going to try, do some logging runs and set the VE table first before making any other changes. If the popping is still there, and it was on my 08, then you can make adjustments. However, setting the VE correctly for your bike is the basis for all other adjustments.
First of all thanks to this thread and everyones contributions it was pretty much easy and enjoyable, rather than painless!

I was able to get 3 good logs in over the week-end to tweak the pre-loaded Fuel Moto map.
In the VE's there was about a 3-5% difference at 750 to 3500 rpm between the original map and the last run. There looked to a lot less betwwen the 2nd and 3rd runs...less than 1% and very few less than than 2%. The timing tables changed some too. As suspected the decel popping was always present from about 1800 on down.

Now, the map FM sent me is in closed loop AFR (14.6 -cruising range) Following what you have suggested on here (Dennis) I ended up richening the AFR to 13.8 @ 20kpa column 750-1500 rpm and 14.0 1500-4000. I also "smoothed" the 30 kpa column from 14.4 to 14.5 from 750 up to 4000. I then reduced the decel enleanment by 50% across the board. This has brought it down to an ever so slight gurgle at slowing down under closed throttle once in a while. if you have any more suggestions I'll keep working on that... All in all, it runs smooth and very strong.

Does it matter that the temps here were in the mid 40's (cold and less humid?) Would the next step be working on the AFR tables for cooling when it gets up into the 70's to 90's in the summer? I imagine that takes it out of closed loop (not that it matters?) I eventually want to end up with a good all around map.

** On a side note here i just took a look at the close loop bias in these maps and everything is set at 700 which to my understanding will put the actual AFR in the 14.3 range while the ECM is is "fooled" into thinking that it's 14.6. Can they be raised more if needed? I also got 40 mpg on the tankful of gas I used during the data log runs! not bad since I rode a little harder than I normally do :-) ...Hmm....I just may be good to go!

Last edited by SGLarry; 02-06-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SGLarry
First of all thanks to this thread and everyones contributions it was pretty much easy and enjoyable, rather than painless!

I was able to get 3 good logs in over the week-end to tweak the pre-loaded Fuel Moto map.
In the VE's there was about a 3-5% difference at 750 to 3500 rpm between the original map and the last run. There looked to a lot less betwwen the 2nd and 3rd runs...less than 1% and very few less than than 2%. The timing tables changed some too. As suspected the decel popping was always present from about 1800 on down.

Now, the map FM sent me is in closed loop AFR (14.6 -cruising range) Following what you have suggested on here (Dennis) I ended up richening the AFR to 13.8 @ 20kpa column 750-1500 rpm and 14.0 1500-4000. I also "smoothed" the 30 kpa column from 14.4 to 14.5 from 750 up to 4000. I then reduced the decel enleanment by 50% across the board. This has brought it down to an ever so slight gurgle at slowing down under closed throttle once in a while. if you have any more suggestions I'll keep working on that... All in all, it runs smooth and very strong.

Does it matter that the temps here were in the mid 40's (cold and less humid?) Would the next step be working on the AFR tables for cooling when it gets up into the 70's to 90's in the summer? I imagine that takes it out of closed loop (not that it matters?) I eventually want to end up with a good all around map.

** On a side note here i just took a look at the close loop bias in these maps and everything is set at 700 which to my understanding will put the actual AFR in the 14.3 range while the ECM is is "fooled" into thinking that it's 14.6. Can they be raised more if needed? I also got 40 mpg on the tankful of gas I used during the data log runs! not bad since I rode a little harder than I normally do :-) ...Hmm....I just may be good to go!
Everything sounds good from your description above. When the temps get higher you could switch to an open loop map if you wanted but give the one you developed a try first. I run an open loop map in my bike. As for the CLB, the range of the stock O2 sensors is pretty limited. If CLB is set to 450, the bike will run closed loop at 14.68. Setting it to 700 makes that about 14.63. I would not recommend going much over 750 (14.58) in the CLB table. If you really want to run richer, change the AFR table to open loop. I run my CLB table set to 700 when I use closed loop.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:51 AM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

This was MUCH easier than the SERT I had on my '06.....Thanks Dennis!

Last edited by SGLarry; 02-07-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:49 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDennis
Everything sounds good from your description above. When the temps get higher you could switch to an open loop map if you wanted but give the one you developed a try first. I run an open loop map in my bike. As for the CLB, the range of the stock O2 sensors is pretty limited. If CLB is set to 450, the bike will run closed loop at 14.68. Setting it to 700 makes that about 14.63. I would not recommend going much over 750 (14.58) in the CLB table. If you really want to run richer, change the AFR table to open loop. I run my CLB table set to 700 when I use closed loop.
JD... changing to Open Loop means u will need the autotune module for the PV ? still have few months before riding season starts here... reviewing my PV instructions.. I am using the Stock 02 sensors... can i select open loop on my PV ?

Old 02-08-2012, 06:16 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by papifun
JD... changing to Open Loop means u will need the autotune module for the PV ? still have few months before riding season starts here... reviewing my PV instructions.. I am using the Stock 02 sensors... can i select open loop on my PV ?
You don't need the autotune module to change to open loop. When you switch to open loop, you actually take the O2 sensors out of the loop. You can tune/set the VEs with either the stock sensors or the autotune wideband sensors. I believe what you are thinking about is that you need the autotune module to be able to tune areas that are not set to closed loop, but you don't need the unit to run an open loop map.

You can tune the closed loop cells using the stock O2 sensors, then change the AFR table to let's say 13.8 and the bike will calculate the correct fuel mixture based on the VEs you set during tuning.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Jester750
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Disabled Anti-Knock Feature

Hey guys,
I'm new to the PV. I just got one from Fuel Moto with the Autotune.
I'm still trying to figure it out with the tuning.
When I read on this thread on page 104 post# 1036 I saw a few guys complaining about the anti-knock feature possibly not working properly.

That made me think of the post I put up the other day about the NGK Iridium plugs.
Could this be the problem?
I sent an email to Jamie and also posted this question up on the Fuel Moto thread under sponsors with no answer so far.

Here is the post:
I was really interested in these plugs, till I did some internet research and found this:

Little known fact:
2005 and later Harley-Davidson EFI systems incorporate an "Anti-knock" feature that operates by reading the current resistance through the spark plugs.
The use of any other spark plug other than 'Stock' (6R12) disables the anti-knock feature.
(Yes, that means the Gold, Platinum and SE plugs will also disable this function)

Here is the website I got that info from:

http://www.harleyhelp.com/sparkplg.html

Here is the Thread that was started on it:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softai...ark-plugs.html

Is this true?
That any spark plug that is not stock (6R12) has a different resistance and will disable or give false readings to the anti-knock feature?

Old 02-08-2012, 11:52 AM
turtle2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jester750
Hey guys,
I'm new to the PV. I just got one from Fuel Moto with the Autotune.
I'm still trying to figure it out with the tuning.
When I read on this thread on page 104 post# 1036 I saw a few guys complaining about the anti-knock feature possibly not working properly.

That made me think of the post I put up the other day about the NGK Iridium plugs.
Could this be the problem?
I sent an email to Jamie and also posted this question up on the Fuel Moto thread under sponsors with no answer so far.

Here is the post:
I was really interested in these plugs, till I did some internet research and found this:

Little known fact:
2005 and later Harley-Davidson EFI systems incorporate an "Anti-knock" feature that operates by reading the current resistance through the spark plugs.
The use of any other spark plug other than 'Stock' (6R12) disables the anti-knock feature.
(Yes, that means the Gold, Platinum and SE plugs will also disable this function)

Here is the website I got that info from:

http://www.harleyhelp.com/sparkplg.html

Here is the Thread that was started on it:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softai...ark-plugs.html

Is this true?
That any spark plug that is not stock (6R12) has a different resistance and will disable or give false readings to the anti-knock feature?

Not true,
All years of harley EFI's have that feature, but a different plug "might" change
when it sees a knock, because of a different resitance of that plug. But thats been hard to prove that a different plug is causing a problem with this feature.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread