Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

The fact that you can view the datalogs with excel means that you saved them. Make note of where they are on your computer. The in Winpv open the current tune that is loaded on the bike. You will save VE (front and Rear), Spark (front and rear) and the A/F(lambda). You save them after loading the tune by first selecting them (look for the folders on the left side in Winpv) then going to the file menu and selecting (save all values).

Once the values are saved, make note of the file name and location. You then open Log tuner and load that file by pressing on the open PVV button....drill down to the location on the file noted above.

Once you do that, the option of loading the log files you saved will become available. Select that function and a window will open to select those files (drill down to the location within windows where you saved the log files) and select one or multiple files to load into the log tuner.

Once you do that, select the calc tune button and log tuner will calc the values. You then will save that file .

Go back into Winpv (which should have the current version of the tune on the bike)...hopefully the same version that you had on the bike when using the data log function. and select the "get tune" button. Drill down in windows to the location that you saved the tune from the log tuner (should be a pvv file) and select that file. Winpv will load the tune.

Then you save the tune with winpv into the PV. Then you go load the tune into the bike.

Tip. Always make sure the tune that is on the bike is the version that you make the pvv file for load into the log tuner.......should be the same version that the logs were made with.

Once you apply and calc the new tune.....load that tune into the bike. Take the last tune used and save with a unique name...that way if you messed up this latest version..you have something to fall back on that was working.

Once you do this process a couple of times, you will wonder why you was thinking it was so hard. Understand the whole process:

1. a tune is loaded into the ECM or use the current tune in the ECM.
2. Set up PV for the datalogging (319245) and ride....logging the monitored parameters.
3. Use Winpv to make a pvv file from the currently used tune. This pvv file is used by log tuner.
4. Open the pvv file with log tuner
5. Open the data logs with log tuner
6. Have log tuner calc/apply the tune.
7. Load the updated/new pvv file created by log tune into Winpv
8. Use Winpv to update that tune into the PV.
9. Use PV to load the tune into the bike.
10. go back to step 2.
11. Once the bike is tuned ....stop running logs and doing this process and just ride.

Winpv is used to save and load tunes, data logs to and from the PV and to make modifications to the tune and other parameters.
Log tuner uses the data logs to modify the current tune and update the VE tables and spark tables to meet what your bike needs with it's current set up.
PV is used to transfer tunes to and from the ECM and to monitor/log data from the ECM. Can also be used to make certain modifications to the ECM directly without using the Winpv software. Can also be used as a realtime monitor for engine parameters.

Last edited by Yardstick; 01-30-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain

Personal opinion about the PV. Currently I have a totally stock 2012 RK....not even an air cleaner yet. I wanted to see how well the PV would tune a totally stock bike. I am finished doing so and it seems to me that this bike now has the power/torque that my previous 2011 SG had with the A/C, Mufflers and HD download had.

I will be ordering an A/C next and see what happens then with the power.

Also, the stock bike had so much vibration at idle...used to watch the handlebar shake so hard it made rattling noise with the throttle grip. Bike almost runs like glass at idle now.....significant reduction of vibration.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Yardstick
The fact that you can view the datalogs with excel means that you saved them. Make note of where they are on your computer. The in Winpv open the current tune that is loaded on the bike. You will save VE (front and Rear), Spark (front and rear) and the A/F(lambda). You save them after loading the tune by first selecting them (look for the folders on the left side in Winpv) then going to the file menu and selecting (save all values).

Once the values are saved, make note of the file name and location. You then open Log tuner and load that file by pressing on the open PVV button....drill down to the location on the file noted above.

Once you do that, the option of loading the log files you saved will become available. Select that function and a window will open to select those files (drill down to the location within windows where you saved the log files) and select one or multiple files to load into the log tuner.
I've been doing this exactly as you (and the manual) say to do it but this is where I get hung up...when I go to open the file in log tuner it isn't there. Either the folder is empty or the file isn't visible for some reason. Thank you though for the tutorial, I'm sure it'll come in handy when I get over this first hurdle!

Old 01-31-2012, 01:51 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

I have pretty much read the manuals etc. But to be honest I printed out this that forum member JustDennis made and have never had any problem following it.
http://www.box.com/shared/i66qvn4xf1s2xp7fgy8v

Last edited by Sam2010; 01-31-2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: I said honest twice but to be honest I can only do that once.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:20 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam2010
I have pretty much read the manuals etc. But to be honest I printed out this that forum member JustDennis made and have never had any problem following it.
Thanks Sam. The guide I put together combines information from the manuals, from talking with developers at DynoJet, personal experience, etc. I tried to make it easier to follow. I have the link to it in my signature below. Hope it helps someone.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:42 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sam2010
That's a pretty awesome little "manual"! Just printed it out and will use it! Thanks!

Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Question....when you guys are saving the value files, are you physically adding the .pvv file extension to the name? Or are you allowing the software to add that for you? I have NOT been adding .pvv to the file name and now I'm wondering if that's why I can't see the files?

Old 01-31-2012, 12:56 PM
bohica48
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
Question....when you guys are saving the value files, are you physically adding the .pvv file extension to the name? Or are you allowing the software to add that for you? I have NOT been adding .pvv to the file name and now I'm wondering if that's why I can't see the files?
In WinPV you should be saving your Value files by selecting File / Save Selected Values, then give it a name, the extension "pvv" should be automatic. Look at the "Save as type" drop down, it should show something like "Harley PV Value File (*.pvv)....

Old 01-31-2012, 01:00 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bohica48
In WinPV you should be saving your Value files by selecting File / Save Selected Values, then give it a name, the extension "pvv" should be automatic. Look at the "Save as type" drop down, it should show something like "Harley PV Value File (*.pvv)....
Thanks. That's what I've done but for some reason I can't see the files from within data logger.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:57 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain

If you aren't seeing the file in data logger it is because the software don't know where you put it....

When you go to openn your pvv file...are you seeing it? (pvv file are the values saved from the tune through winpv). If not, at the top of the window the path is shown.....find out where winpv is saving it and change the path (either in the path window or change the path in winpv....I save my files into a folder for the log tuner because that is the program that mods the file).

Once the pvv file is loaded into log tuner...the open log button activates and you press the button and a window opens (hopefully, where you saved the logs when you used winpv to save them from the pv unit). I also save my log files into the folder for the log tuner. Those log files have a .csv file extension.

To change where the .pvv and the .csv files are saved..open winpv and the "setup" menu...click on the options selection and a window will open allowing you to designate where those files are saved.

Seems to me, from what you have written, that the files are on your computer because you can load them into excell. If you can do that, then you can find where they are saved in your file structure. What you need to do is change the path in the winpv program to where you want them saved.....then remember when you open the log tuner and you don't see the file immediately...that you can, in the open file box, change the path. I believe once you change the path, the software will go to the same location the next time you open the software. The problem is not the software itself; but, where you are telling it to save. Log tuner, I believe is defaulting to the "Power Vision Log Tuner" folder that was created when you loaded the software on your computer.

Last edited by Yardstick; 01-31-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread