Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 07:34 PM
RLE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ice and snow off the roads today so I decide its time to do my first data logging. Followed all the instructions as per the fm website instructions. Took a little fumbling but I think I got it all figured out.
I started with a revised map that Jamie sent me and all said and done the winpv told me only the front spark advance was the only one of the 3 fields that needed adjustment, so I hit ok and the little box in the middle of the screen says 3/3 of whatever were corrected. Sound about right techs?
When I exited out of winpv it asked if I wanted to save changes to said revised map, I hit yes. Now heres my question, am I right to send this map to my pv and save it to slot 2 (slot 1 is the Jamie form of my revised map that he emailed me), or is it just going to overwrite the one he sent me I have in slot 1 since it still shares the same name.
It is still in slot one on the winpv software where it has already been, Im assuming this is what I send to the pv.
I ask this in case I totally f##### up on this and I hate the map that I logged somehow.
The map he sent me works awesome and I probably shouldnt even worry about logging but the tinkerer in me wants to see what I can do with this technology. This probably sounds stupid but im new to learning efi tuning stuff like this.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:36 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Do you still have a copy of the original map on your computer? My fear is that you saved the new tune on your computer with the same name as the original and now only have the new tune.

You should have one of each tine on the PV.

Beast

Old 12-22-2011, 04:55 PM
RLE
Tourer

Originally Posted by whittlebeast
Do you still have a copy of the original map on your computer? My fear is that you saved the new tune on your computer with the same name as the original and now only have the new tune.

You should have one of each time on the PV.

Beast

I still have it in the email he sent me. Is it supposed to create a new map or just edit the one that I started with? Because I hit "save changes" to "reviseddecel" which is the map I started with.

I saved the changed values in the log tuner software and named it. When I went back to the winpv and clicked on file, the name of my changed values was underneath "revised decel". I opened "reviseddecel" and then went back to file, hit load all values.
It gave me the options of what values I wanted and I chose "changed values" by the name I gave it. When I went to exit out it asked if I wanted to save changes to "reviseddecel", I hit yes and then exited out.
Am I right to assume that it changed the chosen values I selected (fm's suggested areas as per instructions) on the reviseddecel map and turned it into a new map only with the same name. Thus just editing the reviseddecel map.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:40 AM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You need help. But start by setting up your files and folders so that you won't be confused. When I come off a tuning run, I make a new folder with the date as the name. That is where I drop the log files, the value files, and the new map.
I have another folder that I named "Current Pick Six", that has all the maps that are loaded on my PV. And yet another folder that has the map that is flashed to the ECM. That way you'll always know what's on your bike.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:32 PM
RLE
Tourer

I brought up on one half of the screen my log on log tuning software ("1st log map"), ond on the other half of the screen I brought up the map Jamie sent me that I THOUGHT I had made changes to (reviseddecel). I compared the ve tables between the two and they are different, therefore I did not alter the map like I thought I had done.
I also brought up another version of "reviseddecel" from the email he sent me and compared it to the one I have on winpv. They are still the same, another confirmation that I never changed the map.
Somewhere I am f###### this up though I have not done any damage or altered something important. Im just missing an important step or somethin.
None of my ve values at any range were off more than .8, so I think I need to quit screwin with it and just be happy with the great map ive got. It would be different if there were people around me educated about this sort of thing that could help. Im great with a wrench. I work on irrigation systems, drilling rigs, and pulling units......but on a computer im still just learning and fumbling around. More of a hands on guy I guess.
Gotmy11sg is right with "you need help". Im sure research and continually reading will get me there. I definitely appreciate all the help fron you guys on the forum.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:14 AM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master

RLE,
Once you do it 10 or 15 times, it will be very simple. I think you're getting hung-up when you create your value files. When you open the value file in Log tuner, be sure to name it something OTHER than the original .pvv after you apply the changes. THEN, when you go back to WinPV (your original tune should still be loaded), click "load all values", then select your new (altered) value file. Click "save as", and there's your new map. You can then use the "load compare" feature to see changes between the old and new map. Keep at it, you'll soon get the hang of it.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:56 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

I just used numbers then I always know what the last one is. Like i kept name of tune fuel moto sent but as I messed with it I just added 001,002 etc. I put the number(s) on the front of the description so I can see them easy when loaded on power vision if its on end you can not easily see it. In description of tune I kept my notes of what I changed or what ever I was messing with. I also did not keep any tunes that were not good. On top of notes in description and my number system I keep a note book and write notes in it to. But before you mess with any good tune make sure you have a back up of tune. I put back up on jump drive and I put back up on a different place on hard drive and last but not least I keep one more back up on a separate removable hard drive.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:45 AM
RLE
Tourer

Finally got it figured out. I was overthinking it like I figured I was. I kept my original map I started with in an email and had to load and save it under a different name so that I could compare it to my already saved map that was the same thing originally. That taught me that I had changed it though I thought I hadnt. Once I figured that out I had already made my "first log map" and sent it to my pv. Long f##### up story short I now have a saved copy of each on my computer and pv. Where I was going wrong was after I "loaded all values" I was trying to save the map before sending it, and it wasnt workin out for me. Hard to explain it right on here I guess.
The only things that needed changed after my first log were the front and rear ve tables, not afr or spark. Is this normal or did I get lucky? I went out for a ride and it runs great, not more noticeably than the original though. No more than the ve tables needed changed I didnt expect 50 more hp.
The change the pv has made to my bike is amazing though. Noticeably quite a bit more power but more importantly its smooth all the way through with no flat spots. The beautiful grumble on decel is awesome too. Only the occasional small pop and thats only after im a little hard on it and drop the throttle, almost cant even tell. That could be attributed to the 25 degree weather and short pipes too. Overall Im very happy with this unit and wouldnt ever consider going a different route. Youre guys' help has been awesome, thanx fellas.
Ill continue to learn and improve with it, this is really addictive stuff lol.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:39 AM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master

Originally Posted by RLE
The only things that needed changed after my first log were the front and rear ve tables, not afr or spark. Is this normal or did I get lucky?
If you're starting with a Fuel Moto map, that is normal.
Remember, to get the most data in your log files, you have to get hits in every rpm range, and at various load ranges. I do roll-ons from each rpm range, in each gear, and also do some parking lot work, lugging the motor, getting the idle and off-idle some hits. If you look at your hit-counts when you are calculating your tune in Log Tuner, you will see the areas you need to reach more. You will see thousands of hits in the 2000 to 3500 rpm range, (and at 1000 rpm if you just let it idle), but the area between 1000 and 2000 is the hardest to get many hits. I've even run my bike in 6th gear with the cruise control on, and then start bumping the CC down one flick at a time, till I'm down to 1200 rpm, to get the most hits. Before I started tuning with the PV, I doubt my bike would even run at 1200 rpm in 6th. And I'm running tw555 cams, they are not known for off-idle performance. And no, I would never run my bike at 1200rpm in 6th gear under normal riding conditions, but for data collection purposes, I also find myself riding insanely FAST as well...

Old 12-26-2011, 11:35 AM
joe_carrera
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I am in the process of improving my tune for my streetglide 2011. The config is A/C from Fuel moto, and touring pro mufflers (Fuel moto as well ) .

I have received a map from Jamie, which I uploaded and it's working fine.

My next step is to try to get a fine tune version of this map.

I wanted first to use this FM map as a starting point for dataloging but, when I compared it with my original map, I noticed that the "closed loop" option on the FM map show 0 ...

see the screenshoot : original and Fuel moto

Does it mean that this map is not authorising the closed loop calculation ???

If so , then this FM map is not good for a datalog version?

So I copied the parts from the FM map ( VE, spark tables, and AFR Lambda table ) to my original map, in order to make a datalog map with the required changes ( no PE, no accel and decell enrichment, etc ... ) .

Would you agree to this approach ?

Finally, do you agree to use a datalog map that shows 0,981 lambda from 0,0 to 4000 rpm / 80 kpa ? this lambda value fits into the closed loop aera but on the richer side of it, so the Lambda sensor might give less precise results ?

Need expert comments guys

Last edited by joe_carrera; 12-26-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread