Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:07 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by iaff84
I went through a steep learning curve with this tuner in bringing some life into my 11 Tri Glide. Only did it with allot of help from JD here on the forum.
I had never tried nor had a remote idea what the ECM and all did to make a bike run. Still only have a very basic idea how it all works.
I am getting more comfortable now with running logs and changing the air portion. With JDs help and 6 logs, we got it right for my bike.
I had only de-catted the head pipe and put an air cleaner on and kept the stock mufflers. Running the loaded tune that came in tuner, bike ran better than in stock form but still felt it was restricted. I had ran several logs myself but I think my changes hurt more than helped. Now with the changes made correctly, I feel bike has more life in it, seems to take off from a dead stop allot better and crisper when I accelerate.
I feel the instructions supplied are way lacking for someone like me. But thanks to JD and the forums, I was able to get through it.
Feel good about the purchase and now feel confident that any further changes I make to my bike, I will be able to change tune to match.
If I can be taught to do this, feel anyone can.
Thanks all for information.
Dennis
Glad to help and glad the bike is running well.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:37 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by papifun
... my scoot has now been put away for the winter...
Gawd! What a depressing thought! It is just now getting out of the 90's here in S. LA and the best riding of the year happens in Oct.-Dec., then again in Mar.-May. Dennis knows what I mean, as he's on about the same latitude.

As for my tune, my bike is running as well as I believe it can possibly run and I haven't made any tuning runs in a month or more. I monitor Lambda with the AT-100 and it is right where it should be, so unless something changes in the ensuing months I will run it in open-loop and likely make only minor adjustments.

Last edited by iclick; 10-05-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:03 PM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Have not noticed this discussed but could have missed it. I see the setting in PV software for ethanol content on the AFR screen. Most fuel available here in TN is E10 fuel but occasionally find a Pure station without ethanol. Bike seems to run a bit better and better MPG with the ethanol free. How does this changing back and forth effect PV settings and are any adjustments suggested to deal with this. I'm running a late model TBW touring bike with a stage 1 and PV installed.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Just curious. Has anyone heard or read about reasonably priced 12MM O2 sensors for the newer bikes that have 12MM bungs? Or is the only option to change to an 18MM bung if we want to go to a WB O2 sensor?

Old 10-05-2011, 07:59 PM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TNCarters
Have not noticed this discussed but could have missed it. I see the setting in PV software for ethanol content on the AFR screen. Most fuel available here in TN is E10 fuel but occasionally find a Pure station without ethanol. Bike seems to run a bit better and better MPG with the ethanol free. How does this changing back and forth effect PV settings and are any adjustments suggested to deal with this. I'm running a late model TBW touring bike with a stage 1 and PV installed.
Carter,
The settings you see in the AFR window are just "display" settings. It only changes how the values appear in your tables. Same goes when switching from "Lambda" view to "AFR" view. It doesn't change your fuel mixture at all.
But as far as setting up separate maps for different fuels, it might be a good idea. I've never had the misfortune of putting low octane fuel in my bike, but if I were running out, and that's all they had, it might be nice to have another map with less timing (for instance) so as not to be pinging down the road. And now with all the ethanol options, I think your idea makes sense.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:07 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a similar situation here in SC. I tuned my bike with the E10 fuel but try to run pure gas when I can. The E10 runs well but when I switch to gas without ethanol, I get a little better gas mileage and the bike continues to perform well. Suggest tuning with the E10 and you should not have a problem.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by GotMy11SG
Carter,
The settings you see in the AFR window are just "display" settings. It only changes how the values appear in your tables. Same goes when switching from "Lambda" view to "AFR" view. It doesn't change your fuel mixture at all.
But as far as setting up separate maps for different fuels, it might be a good idea. I've never had the misfortune of putting low octane fuel in my bike, but if I were running out, and that's all they had, it might be nice to have another map with less timing (for instance) so as not to be pinging down the road. And now with all the ethanol options, I think your idea makes sense.
That's exactly what I've done. I have a performance map with 93 octane fuel that was dialed in on a dyno. I have it labeled as my "Power" map. When the dyno tune was completed, the tuner built a similar map with less spark advance for running on lower octane. I refer to that map as my "89 octane fuel" map. Both of these maps are open loop across the entire map.

I then have a map that started with the Power map but was put into closed loop below 3000rpms (14.4AFR). I then tuned this new map with the PV. This new map runs excellent with sharp throttle response and absolutely no stumbles. I ran the datalogger and tuner about 7-8 times to get the new map. Its clearly not as "powerful" off the line or below 3000rpms as a fair amount of VE was reduced to align to the higher AFRs but the advantage is that a tank of fuel now gets almost 300 miles whereas with the Power map I get closer to 230-240 miles. Quite a difference in my opinion. Not surprisingly I call this map "Economy" and I generally use on longer trips.

What I would like to do next is use the PV to further refine the Power and 89 maps with WB sensors, however there still aren't any yet for the 12mm bungs that come on the newer bikes.

Last edited by Heatwave; 10-06-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:12 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

I assume you mean the "Stoich Value" setting in Options. I run only E10 around here since it's about all that's available and have been tuning using a Stoich Value of 14.6. This was Jamie's recommendation, saying that setting it at 14.2 (stoich for E10) isn't a big enough difference to bother with, and it seems to be working well here.

Last edited by iclick; 10-06-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:21 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by JustDennis
I have a similar situation here in SC. I tuned my bike with the E10 fuel but try to run pure gas when I can. The E10 runs well but when I switch to gas without ethanol, I get a little better gas mileage and the bike continues to perform well. Suggest tuning with the E10 and you should not have a problem.
Do you have the Stoich Value in the LT set to 14.6?

Old 10-06-2011, 11:24 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Just curious. Has anyone heard or read about reasonably priced 12MM O2 sensors for the newer bikes that have 12MM bungs? Or is the only option to change to an 18MM bung if we want to go to a WB O2 sensor?
I think DJ is working on an AT-100 kit with 12mm WB sensors, but I don't know the timetable for release. Maybe Jamie will pipe in with a report.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread