Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:32 AM
captdave221
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Closed throttle spark

Closed throttle is what I was referring to.

You said...." I would never set it to something like 65 - somewhere between 20 to 30 is more like it." and I agree with you, but I wanted to see it work when closing the throttle, like coasting on an off ramp going downhill. Did you ever ride a fuel injected bike that seemed like it has very little comp. braking and others have a lot until around 15-2000 rpm's and then it acts like the injectors start up again. Was trying to see if the closed throttle spark had that effect.

I only had it there for a short ride just to see it on the display. Never saw anything close to that value on the spark degrees window single view on my PV.
It is back to the stock 25 now. Like I stated earlier I like to probe and explore things. I know on my copy of the stg 1 96" map d/l'ed from Digital Tech the PE mode is set at 8000 rpm so Harley does not use this feature at least on a stage one calibration.

I am enclosing a copy of my 13 to 1 map. I have wood 408-6 cams, MVA heads, SE 10.5 forged 103" pistons, stock TB with 5.35 injectors, Jackpot "B" headpipe with SE Touring muffs the ones that have the diffusion discs.

Attached Files
File Type: zip
PV WEB POST MAP.zip (77.9 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by captdave221; 09-29-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:43 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by captdave221
Was trying to see if the closed throttle spark had that effect.
That feature (it's called dashpot) would come from the IAC valve or throttle position. I know on other OEM applications you can change it, we just don't have the ability with TTS or powervison.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:06 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I was messing with my tune yesterday with the widebands on the Sporty. This is now how I am using MLV HD to look at the data
coming off the PowerVision. Notice that the colors indicate percent change to get the Actual AFR to match the Target AFR.

http://www.ncs-stl.com/PVTune/WideBandPctChange.jpg

The advantage with wideband tuning is that you can do tuning with the final Target AFRs as opposed to having to do all tuning in
closed loop and close to 14.6 AFR

The red areas in this trace are lean by more than 10% I will multiply the VEs in those areas by 1.1 The blue areas are too fat by
3% so I will multiply those by .97 Green is near perfect.

I updated the PowerVision.settings file posted on my file server. Most of the changes were done on the settings and formulas
required to understand wideband logs.

Have fun tuning

Beast

Old 10-02-2011, 07:57 PM
DaveHead
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man tons of great info on here.... I am on page 57 of over 150.... Much of this is still going over my head but perhaps another 100 pages from now I will be enlightened...

I am wondering if the PV has the ability to adjusted fuel mixtures per-gear per-rpm? Or is it simply the ability to adjust mixtures per-rpm range? In otherwords can I set a different mixture for 1st gear at 2000rpm than 6th gear at 2000rpm?

I think that question is clear but if not feel free to ask me for further clarification.

Thanks for all your time spent here on the forum,
DaveHead

Old 10-03-2011, 07:30 AM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveHead
Man tons of great info on here.... I am on page 57 of over 150.... Much of this is still going over my head but perhaps another 100 pages from now I will be enlightened...

I am wondering if the PV has the ability to adjusted fuel mixtures per-gear per-rpm? Or is it simply the ability to adjust mixtures per-rpm range? In otherwords can I set a different mixture for 1st gear at 2000rpm than 6th gear at 2000rpm?
Davehead,
The PV has the ability to adjust for "every possible load" per rpm, not exactly every gear. When you start tuning with the PV, you will ride your bike, putting it through every possible load range in every gear, in every RPM range. The PV logs the data, then uses that data to make adjustments to the VE tables. As you repeat the process, you will be closer and closer to perfect, and you will definitely notice (and like) the difference!

Old 10-03-2011, 12:33 PM
DaveHead
Advanced

Originally Posted by GotMy11SG
Davehead,
The PV has the ability to adjust for "every possible load" per rpm, not exactly every gear. When you start tuning with the PV, you will ride your bike, putting it through every possible load range in every gear, in every RPM range. The PV logs the data, then uses that data to make adjustments to the VE tables. As you repeat the process, you will be closer and closer to perfect, and you will definitely notice (and like) the difference!
Welp went ahead and ordered from FuelMoto, so I figure I will start learning bout all the possible loads soon ...

If possible, what I was getting at was that ideally in 6th gear I would sacrifice as much power as I reasonably can for better fuel mileage on the flats. Nevertheless of course I like everyone want an ideal best of both worlds with out loosing power in 5th gear ranges... :P

No madder what, from what I have read so far, I will be happy with the power vision as I will be freed from needing to visit the stealer for future maps as I slowly change various aspects of my scoot...

Old 10-03-2011, 01:22 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveHead
Welp went ahead and ordered from FuelMoto, so I figure I will start learning bout all the possible loads soon ...

If possible, what I was getting at was that ideally in 6th gear I would sacrifice as much power as I reasonably can for better fuel mileage on the flats. Nevertheless of course I like everyone want an ideal best of both worlds with out loosing power in 5th gear ranges... :P

No madder what, from what I have read so far, I will be happy with the power vision as I will be freed from needing to visit the stealer for future maps as I slowly change various aspects of my scoot...
I am sure you will enjoy getting to know more about how your bike works and being able to adjust the different aspects of the calibration. Let us know if you have questions.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:43 PM
DaveHead
Advanced

Originally Posted by JustDennis
I am sure you will enjoy getting to know more about how your bike works and being able to adjust the different aspects of the calibration. Let us know if you have questions.
I shall, and thank you. I'm going to keep reading through this entire thread so I get as fimilar as I can through others questions as well. I'm very computer savvy so once I get the Fuel Injection terms and functions down this should come rather intuitively to me. But I surely have no doubt my name soon will be on this forum much much more LOL....

Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DH - i was and still am a newbie to the PV .... ICLICK and JD have been a great help.. as others on this thread too... my scoot has now been put away for the winter... as i had no experience with the PV, and with help from HDF, it is now running real smooth and once u experience the PV , i dont have any real good tuners here....it will really help u understand what ure scoot is doing ECM wise once u use the PV and log tuner and experiment with changes with your tune..... i still have alot to learn and the PV is really not that difficult.... just need to take time to read about procedures and of course this thread has great info...now i got to wait to continue next riding season...
ride safe...

Old 10-05-2011, 07:55 AM
iaff84
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I went through a steep learning curve with this tuner in bringing some life into my 11 Tri Glide. Only did it with allot of help from JD here on the forum.
I had never tried nor had a remote idea what the ECM and all did to make a bike run. Still only have a very basic idea how it all works.
I am getting more comfortable now with running logs and changing the air portion. With JDs help and 6 logs, we got it right for my bike.
I had only de-catted the head pipe and put an air cleaner on and kept the stock mufflers. Running the loaded tune that came in tuner, bike ran better than in stock form but still felt it was restricted. I had ran several logs myself but I think my changes hurt more than helped. Now with the changes made correctly, I feel bike has more life in it, seems to take off from a dead stop allot better and crisper when I accelerate.
I feel the instructions supplied are way lacking for someone like me. But thanks to JD and the forums, I was able to get through it.
Feel good about the purchase and now feel confident that any further changes I make to my bike, I will be able to change tune to match.
If I can be taught to do this, feel anyone can.
Thanks all for information.
Dennis

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread