Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:34 PM
883_dave
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
The ECM uses VE as the primary factor in determining fuel delivery as it represents the "predicted" airflow model. If you raise VE values the ECM delivers more fuel if you lower it less fuel is delivered. If you have a closed loop calibration the O2 sensors are used as a control function to maintain the mixture set in the AFR/Lambda table, if you set the VE higher than required the O2 integrator will move the mixture to meet this target as it toggles from rich/lean, it will then eventually store an adaptive fuel value in block learn in the background of the calibration
Does it work this way even if the Adaptive Control is turned OFF. The reason that I ask is bacause all of my tunes (H-D Stage 1 download, FuelMoto tune and DJ tune) all came to me, or at least show up in WinPV with the Adaptive Fuel OFF (set to 0 instead of 1). I assume this means the ECM will learn as it goes, but will not retain what it learns from start-up to start up. What is the logic behind having the Adaptive Fuel function turned OFF or is it an error that I need to correct in my tunes?

Old 09-20-2011, 10:32 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,130 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Originally Posted by 883_dave
Does it work this way even if the Adaptive Control is turned OFF. The reason that I ask is bacause all of my tunes (H-D Stage 1 download, FuelMoto tune and DJ tune) all came to me, or at least show up in WinPV with the Adaptive Fuel OFF (set to 0 instead of 1). I assume this means the ECM will learn as it goes, but will not retain what it learns from start-up to start up. What is the logic behind having the Adaptive Fuel function turned OFF or is it an error that I need to correct in my tunes?
Adaptive control needs to be turned on for block learn to happen, however Sportster cals are a bit different as Adaptive control in the factory, Fuel Moto and Dynojet cals is defaulted to off in WinPV when Adaptive control is actually active. What is likely going on is the address is in a different place in the code in Sportster cals and this is not picked up

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 09-21-2011, 04:33 AM
dynaulv
Stage IV

There is a lot of discussion on the Net about what the official stage one map really is doing. To really find out I would like to have a look at a stage one map for a 96"
twin cam in power vision format (.pvt). Anyone here who has got one?
(People who started using PV on a a bike already mapped to stage one and have
backed up as stock and made a "copy of stock")
A screendump of the VE-tables in a stage one map would be an useful alternative.
(I am not trying to save money, I just want to see the facts, and suddenly
realized that we PV users have a way to find the truth...)

Old 09-21-2011, 08:14 AM
883_dave
Cruiser

Adaptive control needs to be turned on for block learn to happen, however Sportster cals are a bit different as Adaptive control in the factory, Fuel Moto and Dynojet cals is defaulted to off in WinPV when Adaptive control is actually active. What is likely going on is the address is in a different place in the code in Sportster cals and this is not picked up
Thanks for the help Jamie. That makes sense, because even if I retreive the full binary after downloading a tune, the adaptive control is set to zero. I guess I will leave things as is in my maps with the Adaptive Control set to 0=OFF. One of the Dynojet Techs told me that the Basic Autotune w/ stock NB sensors would not work correctly if Adaptive Fuel was not in operation during the tuning/datalogging runs. I guess I will assume that Adaptive Control is ON even though the MAP says it is OFF.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:27 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Dave

On your screen, pick Front Adaptive Fuel and rear Adaptive Fuel (I may be slightly off on the name)

Now go ride the bike and see if that number starts changing a few percent as you ride. Note that if you reset your fuel trims on a fresh tune load, It will take about 10 min for those numbers to show anything other than 100.

If those numbers show up as anything other than 100, adaptive learning is on.

Have fun tuning.

Beast

Old 09-21-2011, 07:19 PM
N2STUFF
Advanced

I have been using and reading about the PV for awhile. I have been logging with 2 maps one from fuelmoto and one from DJ. So what is the difference between a level 9 and a level 44 map? Thanks

Old 09-21-2011, 08:52 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by N2STUFF
I have been using and reading about the PV for awhile. I have been logging with 2 maps one from fuelmoto and one from DJ. So what is the difference between a level 9 and a level 44 map? Thanks
There is very little difference between level 9 and 44 strategies, nothing that is actually exposed in the tables or will make a difference in the end results. Level 9 can be used in 2010-2012 Touring models while level 44 is on applicable to 2011-2012 Touring models

Old 09-21-2011, 10:44 PM
N2STUFF
Advanced

Thanks Jamie

Old 09-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Linville Lion
Cruiser

There is very little difference between level 9 and 44 strategies, nothing that is actually exposed in the tables or will make a difference in the end results. Level 9 can be used in 2010-2012 Touring models while level 44 is on applicable to 2011-2012 Touring models
Jamie,

I have a 2011 96 ci with a stage II that is now a 103 w/255 cams. I have a level 44 tune that was downloaded with the stage II install. I also have a level 9 tune that you sent me with the PV. I know you said that there is little difference, but is one even a little better than the other? Which one should I develop/improve going forward? Can I copy/paste the VE/Spark Tables directly from the level 9 to the level 44?

Should adaptive control be on or off during tuning runs?

Thanks

Old 09-23-2011, 11:42 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Linville Lion
Jamie,

I have a 2011 96 ci with a stage II that is now a 103 w/255 cams. I have a level 44 tune that was downloaded with the stage II install. I also have a level 9 tune that you sent me with the PV. I know you said that there is little difference, but is one even a little better than the other? Which one should I develop/improve going forward? Can I copy/paste the VE/Spark Tables directly from the level 9 to the level 44?

Should adaptive control be on or off during tuning runs?

Thanks
Either tune will work equally well and there is no difference in the tables exposed. Unlike other build strategies you can freely copy and paste tables between level 9 and level 44 calibrations, this is not recommended with other strategies.

When Log tuning you will want adaptive control on

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread