Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:06 AM
dynaulv
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar scatter graph of VE and VE new as papifun, collected on my last
logging trip. I don't understand why, as the LogTuner program's suggestions for
new VE values are all between 0.98 and 1.02. (Except for four or five cells with
1.03 and 1.05) Can someone enlighten me on this?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Delmar
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok so im having a bit of trouble getting the new Auto tune to work correctly.
I've been using the stock O2 sensors with Powervision for the last few months but decided to upgrade to the WB sensors. Installed the sensors and AT-100 on the bike today. This is the newer version where 1 module services both WB sensors. I am familiar with the 2 module setup. Used the Y-cable to connect all up and i do have power. I added the Lambda1 and 2 signals to log also. Problem im having is no Lamba data is being written to the log file.

Auto tune module shows a steady red light when bike is running.
A few questions about the single module:
There are two small 4 pin ports on the opposite end of the module from the WB color coded wires. I assume those dont require any type connector in them.
I also assume that the stock O2 connectors do not require terminating plugs in then.
There was next to nothing as far as installation instructions for the AT-100.

Any suggestions as to where my problem may be?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Linville Lion
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDennis
Looks like you need a few more VE tuning runs. Continue to run tuning logs until your VE changes show less that 1 or 2 % in Log Tuner. As an FYI, it normally takes me somewhere between 7 and 15 runs to get the VEs where I want them across the map. May be just my imagination but the stock O2 sensors seem to take more tuning runs that the Wideband autotune sensors. With Wideband, I can do about 7 runs and the VEs are close. With Stock O2s it seems to take me 10 to 15 depending on how close the starting map is.
I am having similar problems...VE does not seem to settle in but keeps bouncing all over the map. I seem to get a lot of variation with either dew point or percent humidity. I am now limiting my tuning runs to periods when the dew point in the 50's and temperatures in the 70's. I am trusting that I can reduce variation in VE by reducing variation in atmospheric conditions. Curious if anyone else has noticed this and can comment.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:29 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Delmar
Ok so im having a bit of trouble getting the new Auto tune to work correctly.
I've been using the stock O2 sensors with Powervision for the last few months but decided to upgrade to the WB sensors. Installed the sensors and AT-100 on the bike today. This is the newer version where 1 module services both WB sensors. I am familiar with the 2 module setup. Used the Y-cable to connect all up and i do have power. I added the Lambda1 and 2 signals to log also. Problem im having is no Lamba data is being written to the log file.

Auto tune module shows a steady red light when bike is running.
A few questions about the single module:
There are two small 4 pin ports on the opposite end of the module from the WB color coded wires. I assume those dont require any type connector in them.
I also assume that the stock O2 connectors do not require terminating plugs in then.
There was next to nothing as far as installation instructions for the AT-100.

Any suggestions as to where my problem may be?
The Autotune module has to be connected to the PowerVision to send the data. Your assumption about the two 4 pin connectors is incorrect. The 72" CAN cable goes in one and connects to the PV. The terminator plug that came with the autotune module goes in the other and you should be all set. Your assumption that the stock O2 connection wires do not need terminators is correct but you should be sure that you turn off the adaptive fuel setting in your calibration.

See Figure B (page 2) and Fig E & F (page 3) in the instructions http://www.powercommander.com/downlo.../at110_120.pdf

Last edited by JustDennis; 09-16-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:32 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Linville Lion
I am having similar problems...VE does not seem to settle in but keeps bouncing all over the map. I seem to get a lot of variation with either dew point or percent humidity. I am now limiting my tuning runs to periods when the dew point in the 50's and temperatures in the 70's. I am trusting that I can reduce variation in VE by reducing variation in atmospheric conditions. Curious if anyone else has noticed this and can comment.
Not sure if you are using the stock O2 sensors or autotune wideband. I noticed more variation when I was using the stock O2 sensors with different temps. What I found that worked well was combining different logs. You will continue to see some change in VEs due to outside factors like temp, humidity etc but once the VEs get within 1 or 2 percent you should be fine.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:24 AM
Delmar
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Dennis, It all makes sense now. The install instructions and your assistance is greatly appreciated. I now need to purchase the 72" CAN cable now to finish the install as it was not included and get down to the tuning fun.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:03 AM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Linville Lion
I am trusting that I can reduce variation in VE by reducing variation in atmospheric conditions. Curious if anyone else has noticed this and can comment.
I just got back last week from a 2600 mile, FL to Ohio (and back), solo ride. This is not the first time that I've taken a great-running bike up to the mountains, and it starts sounding waaaay too rich. I should have ran some logs up there, so next time I can just load my "high altitude" map.
I totally agree with you. Atmospheric conditions play a big part in tuning our bikes. Bottom line is, you gotta tune for where you ride! That's why we can't just swap maps with each other, even with the same setup. I'm in Florida where it's Hot and Humid. I know that colder climates might dictate a richer AFR, but if there's altitude involved, all that goes out the window.
For where you live, you might just have to make 3 or 4 maps, based on your "bouncing VEs", take time to test them, and in the end, build a new one based on compromise. I only wish I could spend more time riding up where you live! -Steevo-

Old 09-16-2011, 01:51 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by whittlebeast
iclick

Try this, goto ....
Beast, I'm not sure how I missed this earlier, but thanks for your efforts! I will check this out when I get a chance.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:00 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by JustDennis
Using the above link for reference, has anyone installed the visor (#61300054)? I assume it will fit with any mount using the PV bolt pattern like my RAM mount, with the assumption you'd need longer screws.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:24 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by GotMy11SG
I just got back last week from a 2600 mile, FL to Ohio (and back), solo ride. This is not the first time that I've taken a great-running bike up to the mountains, and it starts sounding waaaay too rich. I should have ran some logs up there, so next time I can just load my "high altitude" map.
I totally agree with you. Atmospheric conditions play a big part in tuning our bikes. Bottom line is, you gotta tune for where you ride! That's why we can't just swap maps with each other, even with the same setup. I'm in Florida where it's Hot and Humid. I know that colder climates might dictate a richer AFR, but if there's altitude involved, all that goes out the window.
For where you live, you might just have to make 3 or 4 maps, based on your "bouncing VEs", take time to test them, and in the end, build a new one based on compromise. I only wish I could spend more time riding up where you live! -Steevo-
So you're running open-loop and noticed changes with altitude and temperature changes? I've been tuning in consistently hot (95-100°) weather but this is now changing (80's lately), but I still see relatively close and consistent Lambda values when I ride. I was hoping colder weather and altitude changes would not require me to install NB O2 sensors, and Jamie says I should not need to do that.

BTW, to anyone who's running the stock NB sensors and displaying Lambda info, what range of values are you seeing displayed while the bike is running? I'm wondering if I do go back to the NB sensors if I'll still be able to monitor Lambda on-the-fly like I'm doing now with the WB sensors. I know it will get the info from the ECM, not the AT-100 as now.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread