Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:25 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Das Fatboy

Could you send me one of your logs? PM me for an email address.

AW

Old 08-31-2011, 11:54 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Das_Fatboy
Can this be accomplished by reducing the "global" multiplier by %20-30 (IE changed from 1 to .80 or .70) or does each multiplier in the table need to be changed?
Yes you can change the multiplier as you describe. I always change the table itself, just my preference, because it is more flexible - you can only change certain heat ranges if you like in the table but either way is fine.

Looking at my AFR table on the 20 KPa column, I see 13.0 listed from 750 to 2000 RPM and 12.5 from 2250 to 6000. I checked the stock tune and they matched what I received pre-programmed on the PV from Fuel Moto so I assume they should be within range. Do these numbers seem a bit low?
No those should be fine. Once everything is set, if you still get unacceptable decel popping, see what RPM it is happening at and you can adjust those AFRs from there. You should set that column to 14.6 for tuning runs so the VEs can be set in that area.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:11 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Dennis has your questions covered very well, as usual, but I'll pipe in with a few thoughts.

Yes, I am seeing a column for the Warm-up AFR....just no data in it. I know when I did my logging yesterday I thought the engine was cold since it had sat for 2-3 hours. Maybe it was still warm enough not to be within the temperature range to collect data? I will be trying again today from an engine that hasn't run since last night, so maybe that will solve the mystery.
Mine is called "Warm-up Enrichment," but you shouldn't see anything above zero in the logged data unless you start the log soon after cranking the bike up. On my '07 this enrichment only lasts about 45 sec., but occurs every time I start the bike regardless of ET, so if you begin your log right after starting the bike you could be in this enrichment process, and that would affect the tune. I usually don't start my logs until a couple of minutes after starting and ET is > Min. Temp. set in the LT.

Very useful tool in helping you fill in the missing areas on your logging run. Although there are some areas that I am finding hard to hit...or just don't have the cojones to rev it up that high.
I don't worry about some areas, like 5000 rpm @ 2% TP. I'll probably never be there anyway and where it is set in the stock tune is good enough as long as there isn't any weird behavior associated with it. I'm interested mostly in the areas below 3000k RPM and 20% TP, as I spend 99% of my time there. WOT is important too, but most of my tuning time has been spent analyzing the cruise range. Anything in between is transitional and as long as it is smooth I'm happy, and if I can extend the leanness at cruise a bit without any adverse side-effects I'm okay with it. OTOH, in my area (25' ASL where am now sitting) 85 KPA doesn't always occur at high throttle inputs and WOT is always >100 KPA, so I may extend the lean AFRs even more.

OTOH, since I'm running open-loop at this time, I think that in high altitudes my AFR may stay at 14.0:1 or higher at all times, which I wouldn't think would be ideal. It is the same in the stock map, however. Does anyone have any experience with this? Jamie told me that he was seeing no higher than 85KPA while riding in higher elevations at Sturgis, so it could happen. Would the MAP sensor compensate?

Dennis says his bike feels best with AFRs around 14.1 in the cruise range--i.e. better throttle response, cooling, etc.--but I can't tell any or much difference between 13.0 and 14.5. I run 14.5 at cruise because the bike doesn't run hot and I see no other adverse side-effects from doing so. Maybe the 255 cams make a difference here, as they are very energetic at low-to-moderate RPM and TP, much more so than stock, almost to the point of being touchy. Jamie calls the effect "abrupt," which is pretty close, but I wouldn't put it in any negative context since I got used to it within a couple of hours during the first ride after the cam change.

Can this be accomplished by reducing the "global" multiplier by %20-30 (IE changed from 1 to .80 or .70) or does each multiplier in the table need to be changed?
I've had a brief pop right after rolling off the throttle quickly, which is covered by the Decel. Enleanment parameter. Mine happens only when ET is relatively high, like maybe >245°, so I've made some adjustments at that point and above by about -15%, which means it is adding fuel. I haven't gone quite as far as Dennis (20-30%), but I'm still getting an occasional hot pop so I'm reducing the number in increments of one, as I think it is close to the ideal setting now.

If you experience this type of popping only when hot I would adjust only the Decel. Enleanment parameter in the affected temperature range, not the global multiplier. In my case I haven't changed it <176°F since I get no popping when the engine is relatively cool.

If you are getting consistent popping after the initial roll-off, e.g. from 4000 down to 2000rpm @ 0% TP, changing DE probably won't affect it at all. You should add fuel to that area of the VE tables. Mine is set to 14.5, except <2500 RPM, and it only gurgles a bit at roll-off, but I get no popping. See table below.

Looking at my AFR table on the 20 KPa column, I see 13.0 listed from 750 to 2000 RPM and 12.5 from 2250 to 6000. I checked the stock tune and they matched what I received pre-programmed on the PV from Fuel Moto so I assume they should be within range. Do these numbers seem a bit low?
You'll see 20 KPA only when decelerating, and that region is prone to popping. That's why AFRs are relatively low there. Here is my table, but it is probably leaner than most will find workable to keep popping away. My procedure is to set it as lean as possible (but no higher than stoich) as long as there are no adverse side-effects like popping. I haven't changed anything >5k RPM (except 100% TP) since I'm almost never going to be in that range.

Last edited by iclick; 08-31-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:09 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

For comparison puposes...

Here is Iclick's AFR table that he posted

and here is mine

Old 08-31-2011, 09:44 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDennis

and here is mine
how come Iclick has a MAP chart showin 10-27KPA-30...85 and JD has 20-30...80-90 and nothing inbetween ?
thanks for the charts... im in learning phase...

Last edited by papifun; 08-31-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:56 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDennis

and here is mine

For comparison, here's my AFR table after dyno tuning. This Tuning map gets about 39mpg and delivers 115hp and 119ft lbs after dyno tuning.

And here's my AFR Table after adjusting my Cruise range for greater fuel economy. This map is getting 43mpg with absolutely no noticeable impact on performance after PV Autotuning.

Attached Thumbnails Power Vision Information Thread-jdscycle-93-oct-afr.jpg   Power Vision Information Thread-jdscycle-93-oct-inc-cruise-afr-001.jpg  

Last edited by Heatwave; 09-01-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:40 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Guys. Try a tuning trick.

First, change the vast majority of your AFR table to 14.6 and do a data log.

Using MegaLogViewer HD to plot VE Front and VE New Front and in the third box pick RPM.

Do you get a straight line or is it a real fuzzy line? If you are getting close on the VEs, you will get a straight line. Similar to when in open loop, plotting MAP and INJ PW F and RPM in the third box.

Way cool stuff.

Beast

Old 08-31-2011, 10:45 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by papifun
how come Iclick has a MAP chart showin 10-27KPA-30...85 and JD has 20-30...80-90 and nothing inbetween ? thanks for the charts... im in learning phase...
Interesting observation. I think Dennis' bike is an '08 and Heatwave's is a '10, while mine is the only non-TBW bike of the trio. Maybe that's the reason.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:52 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by iclick
Since I'm running open-loop at this time, I think that in high altitudes my AFR may stay at 14.0:1 or higher at all times, which I wouldn't think would be ideal. It is the same in the stock map, however. Does anyone have any experience with this? Jamie told me that he was seeing no higher than 85KPA while riding in higher elevations at Sturgis, so it could happen. Would the MAP sensor compensate?
Here's a twist, I'm answering my own question. I've since found out that Fuel > PE AFR covers this contingency by specifying an AFR for 95-100% TP based on time. I have mine set for 13.0 for the entire table, which should cover keep me where I want to be under any conditions at WOT.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:54 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Wow, you must cruise at a much higher RPM that I do, as I try to stay below 2500 as much as possible.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread