Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 12:58 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default PV support for 2012 Dyna and Softail

I was just reading about the new MT05 ECM that Harley used on 2012 Dyna and Softail models. Interestingly enough, it seems that these bikes are throttle by cable, lambda-based tune bikes. I don't think that Harley's SEPST tuner even supports them yet. But if some of you have the newer models, you would be happy to know that DynoJet is getting ready to release a PV calibration to support them.

Check it out here --->
http://www.dynojet.com/Blog/index.ph...ort-is-coming/

I for one am really glad that DJ has started listening to its customers feedback. One of the things we asked for is more information about the new stuff and they responded with the updates blog. They have also incorporated a lot of features from questions or suggestions that came up on this forum.

Last edited by JustDennis; 08-14-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:53 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDennis
It has been in the upper 90s to 100 degrees here is SC for quite a while. What I have done that seems to work well is this. I tuned my map with LT to get the VEs where they needed to be then went back and set the map to open loop mode by changing all the cells that were 14.6 to 13.8. This gave me a very good running map and dropped the engine and oil temps by about 15 degrees. With a little testing, I ending up changing to 14.1 AFR and found that I got pretty good gas mileage and retained the engine cooling. If you have a good tune and are still running at stoich (14.6) give that a try. Of course if you are running a Lambda tune, just replaced what I said in AFR with Lambda values.
Do you have an oil cooler installed? You probably told me in the past but I don't recall. My experience is different as regards the relationship of AFR and ET or OT. When I had my PCV-AT installed I could toggle between a rich (13.5) base map and a leaner closed-loop mode (AT) and I saw only slight (7° max) changes in ET (FCHT) going from one to the other, giving each mode time to become established. I also saw no noticeable change in OT, which has been running ~205° at normal highway speeds, up to about 220° max this summer in city riding. ET stays at 225-235° at moderate highway speeds and no higher than about 280° yet this summer in city riding. Our weather has been like yours (95-100°) since about the 1st of June. All these temps are running at stoich in the cruise range, and I've had an HD oil cooler installed since the bike was new.

A couple of weeks ago I did some tuning runs with the entire AFR table set to 13.0 and didn't see any noticeable change in ET during that time. I may be the exception, but this bike seems to run relatively cool regardless of the AFR thrown at it. I'd like to know if anyone else has made similar observations with their bikes.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:01 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I for one am really glad that DJ has started listening to its customers feedback. One of the things we asked for is more information about the new stuff and they responded with the updates blog. They have also incorporated a lot of features from questions or suggestions that came up on this forum.
I agree, and find them very responsive to my suggestions, many of which were relayed through feedback on this thread. Not every hair-brained idea I propose is deemed high-priority, of course, but Dan does read the suggestions and respond to most of them. Most impressive to me was their quick response to my early request for gas-mileage gauge parameters, and they've gone way past what I expected with the Trip Center.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Ok thank you I will try that and then report back in 3-4 days.

It has been in the upper 90s to 100 degrees here is SC for quite a while. What I have done that seems to work well is this. I tuned my map with LT to get the VEs where they needed to be then went back and set the map to open loop mode by changing all the cells that were 14.6 to 13.8. This gave me a very good running map and dropped the engine and oil temps by about 15 degrees. With a little testing, I ending up changing to 14.1 AFR and found that I got pretty good gas mileage and retained the engine cooling. If you have a good tune and are still running at stoich (14.6) give that a try. Of course if you are running a Lambda tune, just replaced what I said in AFR with Lambda values.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:13 PM
DavTN
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does this refer to step 6, or something I need to do prior to logging data? Great write up!

"you must have a closed loop calibration to use Log Tuner Basic. To enable closed loop Lambda values must be between .977 and 1.02 or AFR must be 14.6."

Old 08-15-2011, 06:22 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DavTN
Does this refer to step 6, or something I need to do prior to logging data? Great write up!

"you must have a closed loop calibration to use Log Tuner Basic. To enable closed loop Lambda values must be between .977 and 1.02 or AFR must be 14.6."
This is in reference to the calibration (map) that is loaded in the ECM while you are creating the log file. Take a look at your starting map. In the AFR table, every cell that is set to 14.6 (or Lambda values noted above) is in closed loop. LT Basic with stock O2 sensors, can only tune closed loop areas due to the relatively small range of the narrow-band stock O2 sensors.

Last edited by JustDennis; 08-15-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:42 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by iclick
Do you have an oil cooler installed? You probably told me in the past but I don't recall...
I do not have an oil cooler. I think the AFR change can only cool so much. I don't see any change by going lower than 14.1. Even if I change to 13.0 like you mentioned for tuning runs, the temps stay about the same as when I use 14.1 AFR.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Twrguy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What am I doing wrong???

I have done the data log, used log tuner to create a new tune but when I compare old tune to new tune EVERYTHING is identical....?? I am sure it is something I am not doing correctly. I should be able to aply my data log to the base map I got from fuel moto,..correct?? HELP??

Old 08-15-2011, 08:41 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Twrguy
I have done the data log, used log tuner to create a new tune but when I compare old tune to new tune EVERYTHING is identical....?? I am sure it is something I am not doing correctly. I should be able to aply my data log to the base map I got from fuel moto,..correct?? HELP??
Log Tuner actually creates a new Value file (.pvv extension), not a tune file (.pvt extension). Once you create the Value file, you need to open the tune file it was based on in WInPV, then from the menu select Load All Values and apply that value file to the open tune. Then you should save the tune with a different name and send that back to the PV to be loaded to the ECM. I normally increment a number on the tune to keep up with versions. 001, 002, 003 etc

Did you apply the value file back to the tune?

Last edited by JustDennis; 08-15-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Twrguy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Log Tuner actually creates a new Value file (.pvv extension), not a tune file (.pvt extension). Once you create the Value file, you need to open the tune file it was based on in WInPV, then from the menu select Load All Values and apply that value file to the open tune. Then you should save the tune with a different name and send that back to the PV to be loaded to the ECM. I normally increment a number on the tune to keep up with versions. 001, 002, 003 etc

Did you apply the value file back to the tune?
Yep, I did all of that and when I compared the original tune to the new one they were the same????

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread