Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 09:40 AM
883_dave
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a little help

I have just started the Log tuner Basic tuning on my Sporty and I need clarification on part of the tuning procedure. The sportster does not have a knock sensor, so I will be tuning VE values only, not timing.

I have set-up a tune file (tunefile.001) by taking the map Jaime @ Fuelmoto provided me-->setting all AFR values between 4000 RPM and 80 kpa to 14.6 + pulled a little timing from the areas of the map that will be running leaner than usual for the tuning process--> I downloaded this tune file (tunefile.001) to my ECM and plan to do some datalogging today. I also set up the Power Vision Value File.

I understand that I will take the data from the datalog and using the logtuner software I will "update" the tune file created above (tunefile.001) via WinPV and will re-name this updated tune file (tunefile.002).

The part that I do not understand is if I decide to do more datalogging/tuning sessions to get the VE delta percent acceptable, do I need to have the "updated" tune file (tunefile.002) flashed to the ECM for datalogging or do I continue datalogging with my original tune file (tunefile.001) and then apply the values I get from datalogging to tunefile.002 thus creating tunefile.003, etc.

I know once I am happy with the results, I will then apply the corrected value file to the original Fuelmoto tune and download this final tune to the ECM as my permanent tune.

Thanks. Dave.

Last edited by 883_dave; 07-30-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:58 AM
kevin06vino
Novice

Originally Posted by 883_dave
I have just started the Log tuner Basic tuning on my Sporty and I need clarification on part of the tuning procedure. The sportster does not have a knock sensor, so I will be tuning VE values only, not timing.

I have set-up a tune file (tunefile.001) by taking the map Jaime provided me-->setting all AFR values between 4000 RPM and 80 kpa to 14.6 + pulled a little timing from the areas of the map that will be running leaner than usual for the tuning process--> I downloaded this tune file (tunefile.001) to my ECM and plan to do some datalogging today. I also set up the Power Vision Value File.

I understand that I will take the data from the datalog and using the logtuner software I will "update" the tune file created above (tunefile.001) via WinPV and will re-name this updated tune file (tunefile.002).

The part that I do not understand is if I decide to do more datalogging/tuning sessions to get the VE delta percent acceptable, do I need to have the "updated" tune file (tunefile.002) flashed to the ECM for datalogging or do I continue datalogging with my original tune file (tunefile.001) and then apply the values I get from datalogging to tunefile.002 thus creating tunefile.003, etc. until I am happy with the results.

I know once I am happy with the results, I will then change the AFR + Spark tables back to their original format and download this final tune to the ECM as my permanent tune.

Thanks. Dave.
I am doing the same with my Nightster and update the tune every time I log. The log tuner will calc updated VE values based on your log files. I am constantly loading new updated maps to the ECM and logging to get everything in order. It's a bit time consuming, but I'm enjoying the process.

I've been running fairly high temps, 370-380 degrees, but Jamie confirmed that sportsters run much hotter than the big twins. Rather than pulling fuel (reducing VE values), I am manually updating only the positive cells calc'ed by the log tuner in WinPV and have lowered my temps by about 20 degrees. Once I get the temps stabilized, I'll take my most recent map and start applying the negative values to the VE tables until the temps creep back up. I don't know if this is the best way to do it (other than buying the AT100), but I feel safer dropping temps first.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes!

Old 07-30-2011, 12:01 PM
883_dave
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kevin06vino
I am doing the same with my Nightster and update the tune every time I log. The log tuner will calc updated VE values based on your log files. I am constantly loading new updated maps to the ECM and logging to get everything in order. It's a bit time consuming, but I'm enjoying the process.

I've been running fairly high temps, 370-380 degrees, but Jamie confirmed that sportsters run much hotter than the big twins. Rather than pulling fuel (reducing VE values), I am manually updating only the positive cells calc'ed by the log tuner in WinPV and have lowered my temps by about 20 degrees. Once I get the temps stabilized, I'll take my most recent map and start applying the negative values to the VE tables until the temps creep back up. I don't know if this is the best way to do it (other than buying the AT100), but I feel safer dropping temps first.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes!
Thanks Kevin. Dynojet's log tuner instructions are good, but a little vague to me in a couple of areas. If you live up north and are running those engine temps, I can only imagine how high my temps must be living here in TX where we have had 30 days now with ambient temps over 100 degrees. I try to ride everyday, but the heat day after day really makes the ride less fun. It is supposed to be 106-108 here next week . Maybe I should put off tuning until the fall.

Last edited by 883_dave; 07-30-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:09 PM
kevin06vino
Novice

Thanks Kevin. Dynojet's log tuner instructions are good, but a little vague to me in a couple of areas. If you live up north and are running those engine temps, I can only imagine what mine must be living here in TX where we have had 30 days now with ambient temps over 100 degrees. It is supposed to be 106-108 here next week . Maybe I should put off tuning until the fall.
We have been well into the 90's with heat indexes up to 130, so don't let my temps sway you. Even if you don't tune, it would be interesting to know what your engine temps are. Like I said, Jamie said the temps were OK, but I'm curious if your temps are in line with mine using the FM map you got from Jamie. I wouldn't think an 883 would be a huge difference from 1200 in the temperature department.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:07 PM
883_dave
Cruiser

We have been well into the 90's with heat indexes up to 130, so don't let my temps sway you. Even if you don't tune, it would be interesting to know what your engine temps are. Like I said, Jamie said the temps were OK, but I'm curious if your temps are in line with mine using the FM map you got from Jamie. I wouldn't think an 883 would be a huge difference from 1200 in the temperature department.
When you are setting up your log tuner options, what values are you using for min and max engine temp? I know 185 and 288 are recommended, but if your temps are running in the 300+ range I assume the max engine temp would need to be higher so you will collect enough data.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:16 PM
kevin06vino
Novice

When you are setting up your log tuner options, what values are you using for min and max engine temp? I know 185 and 288 are recommended, but if your temps are running in the 300+ range I assume the max engine temp would need to be higher so you will collect enough data.
Right now, I have mine set to 380 to include all values - as the temperatures decline, I'll adjust the max temperature accordingly.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:18 PM
883_dave
Cruiser

Right now, I have mine set to 380 to include all values - as the temperatures decline, I'll adjust the max temperature accordingly.
Thanks for the info. Any other advice before I get started?

Old 07-30-2011, 04:22 PM
kevin06vino
Novice

Thanks for the info. Any other advice before I get started?
Not that I can think of, I just start logging after the bike is running and stop logging before I shut down. Not sure if it matters, but it was recommended somewhere in these 100+ pages on the HDforums.

Also, with the log tuner, you can load multiple logs prior to your calc. I would log on my way into work in the morning, then log on my commute home...then I'd load both logs into the Log Tuner and calc, rather than doing it each time.

Stay safe and keep your eyes on the cages, it is easy to be distracted by the six gauge output on the PV.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

The engine temp has me a little confused to. I know I am talking about a big twin not a sporty. I wonder what the data will do to a tune when it goes into ETIMS. I have had it off much of the time but the other day when it was seemingly getting pretty hot I activated it when I got stuck in some traffic. I was collecting data but I tossed that log aside and did not use it for a tune. Bike runs fine hot other than I can feel it on my legs.

Are you guys using data above 288? Or changing the 288 number higher?

Old 07-30-2011, 07:50 PM
883_dave
Cruiser

Well, I tried to get everything set-up but I cannot find Accel Enrichment on the list of channels to log and I have been through the list a dozen times now.

I tried a datalogging run with all of the other values minus the Accel Enrichment and I got no hits on my VE tables and the log tuner says that some values may not be able to be calculated since I did not have Accel Enrichment as a monitored channel. Does anyone know why Accel Enrichment is not on my list of choices for channels to log?

Kevin, When setting up channels to log, did you leave the min/max values on each channel as they were or did you alter them?

I still wish DynoJet would figure out a way we could use the Power Vision screen while the unit is powered by the computer USB rather than the bike.

Thanks. Dave.

Last edited by 883_dave; 07-30-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread