Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

wiring nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:33 AM
bobbyg
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring nightmare

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I decided to go ahead and install those chubby 508 handlebars on my king this weekend. Was a relativiely striatforward deal. Requires a lot of patience but, really wasn't that difficult to do.
Extending the wires so I could run them inside the bars was the hardest part. after much care and checking and rechecking, I plugged everything in and tried to check my work, i.e., verifiy everything worked.

Turned the ignition switch on verified neutral, hit the horn button, figuring it would be the easiest first check, and the starter kicks in, as if I had hit the start button.

Realized immediately...there was a problem. As soon as I started checking things out, realized what I had done wrong. I had plugged the harnesses in wrong!! Right side was plugged into left and left was plugged into right!
So, hoping it was only that, I plugged them in CORRECTLY this time and began my checkout process again.

Turned on the ignition switch, immediately noticed, no head or running lights,
tried the horn, at least it works, but no turn signal, I can hear the fuel pump when I turn on the kill switch but, the starter won't engage.

Checked all the fuses. All are good. Is this a TSSM thang?

I know my wiring is good, I have obviously blown/tripped something electrically but am a little puzzeled as to why after clearing the obvious problem and verifying there are no blown fuses, why...it won't work.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance for your help.

bobby

Old 03-14-2011, 08:18 AM
bobbyg
Novice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay...stand down...

Knew it had to be something simple, so I walked away from it a couple days so i would'nt start tearing into things and cause more problems than i already had.

Turns out I had put the light fuse back in the wrong slot/row in the fuse panel and the same with the start relay when I initially started checking for problems. Moved them both over a slot and guess what? All is well....and i feel really stoooopid.

But...I'm really familiar with the inner workings of the electrical system of my bike now...

Old 03-14-2011, 02:06 PM
hawwk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear it was just a simple problem

Old 03-14-2011, 05:08 PM
ThePinger
Intermediate

I hope my issue ends up being as simple. (See Frankenstein"s Monster post)

Old 03-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

first instinct is to freak out, sometimes best to step back, take a break and come back to it with patients on your side. Glad you got it!!

Old 03-14-2011, 06:41 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Good job on the diagnosis, and good patience as well. Kudos.

Glad it all worked out for you.