Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Best TunerS

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forum opinions and marketing hype huh? I based my statements on personal experience with both the TTS and the new Power Vision. Your "two year old technology" statement is completely wrong, and I suspect you're confusing the Power Vision with the Power Commander. Completely different animals.

Anyway, read up and compare features and functions of both and make up your own mind.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
"Real time monitoring while riding" is just being able to play with a toy, nothing else.
Why do I think this?
Because once your bike is tuned, it's tuned!
Let your tuning guru have it for an afternoon, and move on to bigger and better things. Save the map, you are done!.

Get a GPS or Smart Phone to "play" with (if you really need something to stare at, other than the road and scenery).
A good smartphone can keep your eyes off the road for endless hours! LOL

Seriously, an afternoon with your tuning guru and a dyno to measure his adjustments,..... verses months of staring at a 4 inch screen to accomplish less than perfection,.....

I'm just sayin'.

So, just take your bike to your favorite dyno tuner and be done with it...got it. Thanks Ed!

But for those that like to tinker with their tunes... Guess it's like fly fishing and tying your own flies. Sure I can buy someone else's, but it's much more satisfying to catch a trout with something I tied myself. Jus' sayin'

Old 03-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustball
So, just take your bike to your favorite dyno tuner and be done with it...got it. Thanks Ed!

But for those that like to tinker with their tunes... Guess it's like fly fishing and tying your own flies. Sure I can buy someone else's, but it's much more satisfying to catch a trout with something I tied myself. Jus' sayin'
I can relate.

However, all you have is your butt dyno to measure results with.

Until I learn to poop out a piece of paper that accurately shows me the results of my last change, I would only have my perception to trust.
Can my perception show me a 1 hp increase or decrease?

I understand the need to play, and in the past I have enjoyed similar play. It is truly fun!

One just needs to decide what the overall main objective is. For me it's the ultimate tune.

Just giving my perspective. I didn't mean to sound as if I was faulting somebody for doing it a different way.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Reaper_ggy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Dude. Accept the fact that what ever tuner you use (even the auto tunes), really need a "reputable" tuner to make your bike run it's very very best.

Sure you can play with them a bit, as long as you save your original map to revert to,....... and even do minor adjustments such as "fixing" decel pop, but please accept the fact that a talented guy with experience with your particular unit, and a dyno machine to measure his adjustments on, is what it truly takes to achieve perfection.

I run the slightly dated version of SERT and it has done me very well over the years. Power Commander on my last bike was pretty good too. The power commander was likely a little more user friendly, but I can navigate my SERT pretty darn well.

Yes, even "only" a stage one can benefit from having a pro with a dyno set you up. Not talkin' about a dealership with a Dyno. I'm talkin' an independent tuner with a reputation.

Auto tunes ain't a bad thing, but a reputable tuner will get you a few more ponies.
I agree that it is the best solution. I know I won't be even close to the tuning guru, but I like to learn and play with my toys, and I'm pretty sure that I can acheive something good by time.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaper_ggy
I agree that it is the best solution. I know I won't be even close to the tuning guru, but I like to learn and play with my toys, and I'm pretty sure that I can acheive something good by time.
As I was reminded of by a few, (and I agree), it is a fun thing to do with your favorite toy.

You will have fun. Be sure to save maps to revert to, incase you have a bad session.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:09 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdCase
That's not close to the one in my kit, I had a bekin adapter. Looking at the spec sheet it looks like it was cobbled together from several pieces, what is this SATA thing, thats disk drive stuff, right?
I take it you mean Belkin, right?

Why doesn't he just make the things talk USB instead of having to use an adapter?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Youngneg
Tourer

So with All that said....how soon will I be able to get a TTS tuning on my 2011 fatboy lo......

Old 03-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Slim_B_Kool
Cruiser

You can use just about any tuner you want to use. But for best performance a dyno is a must have to see how the bike is running through the entire RPM range. Then you can tweak the tune from there and make another pull. It will take a few pulls to really get the bike to run at peak performance. Just watch who does the tuning cause you may void your warranty.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Reaper_ggy
Road Master

Originally Posted by Slim_B_Kool
You can use just about any tuner you want to use. But for best performance a dyno is a must have to see how the bike is running through the entire RPM range. Then you can tweak the tune from there and make another pull. It will take a few pulls to really get the bike to run at peak performance. Just watch who does the tuning cause you may void your warranty.
My warranty is finishing 2012 so ... And if I find a descent place to dyno it I'd stay a while to see what the guy's doing. Not that I know much but by curiosity even doe a good tune on a dyno seems to take a few hours

Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Slim_B_Kool
Cruiser
Default tuners

Originally Posted by Reaper_ggy
My warranty is finishing 2012 so ... And if I find a descent place to dyno it I'd stay a while to see what the guy's doing. Not that I know much but by curiosity even doe a good tune on a dyno seems to take a few hours
Yes it can take quite a few dyno pulls to make sure no decebel pop on deceleration and get peak performance. Some shops may let you watch the tuner guy work. I didn't know nothing about tuning so i had my bike tuned at the dealership. it run flawless. I feel like a dyno is a must have to get the most out of the bike.

Quick Reply: Best TunerS