Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Why Front and Rear Cylinders are tuned so different?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:33 PM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Why Front and Rear Cylinders are tuned so different?

I've been looking at VE tables, ignition timing advance tables, comparing front and rear cylinders. It's CRAZY! Ignition timing on one cylinder can be 6 to 8 degrees more than the other cylinder, at certain RPMs. At a different RPM, the other cylinder might be more advanced than the first. I'm sure that cam timing has alot to do with it, but it still seems like the cylinders would almost be working against each other in this situation.
As far as the VE tables, they might be different due to front and rear headpipes being different lengths, or something like that. But I'd still like to hear any other explanations available. I have much to learn...

Old 02-23-2011, 04:56 PM
BPlo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think...
The Front cylinder can run hoter since most of the air flow while you ride is going to hit the front cylinder first. The rear cyl doesnt get as much cooling since everything is blocking the air flow.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You must picture the way the "single rod pin crank" moves the pistons up and down.
Take this time. There are diagrams to help.

All this has to do with the completely uneven way the cylinders get their fuel/air charge. From a sigle source throddle body on top of that.

Not to mention the heat differential.