Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

hello everyone! im turbocharging my 07 nightster, have ?s on upgrading fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:31 PM
blackie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hello everyone! im turbocharging my 07 nightster, have ?s on upgrading fuel system

OK i got a 07 nightster and im going to be adding a small tdo4 mistu turbo. im building the kit myself but ive never turbocharged a harley before and was hoping someone could give suggestion on how to control and add extra fuel for a basic turbokit running only 5-6psi.
Could i just use a power commander type piggyback system to tune the and add extra fuel while under boost??
If more fuel is necessary could i just add a third injector thats controlled by the power commander??
Is it necessary to just run bigger injectors and re-tune the idle with a power commander?

please help figure out the simplest way to add the extra fuel needed for a basic turbo kit.
and also suggest some reputable company's or brands to buy from too, because im kinda new to harley performance LOL thank KC

Old 02-22-2011, 09:59 PM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by blackie
ive never turbocharged a harley before and was hoping someone could give suggestion on how to control and add extra fuel for a basic turbokit.
Sounds like adding extra fuel would be the EASY part. I'm trying to imagine what your intake and exhaust system would look like, and where the turbocharger would be mounted. Turbos work better on higher-revving engines, Harleys are loved for the TORQUE they have. You'd likely LOSE torque, while not achieving big gains, due to design limitations.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:40 AM
blackie
Cruiser

lol i guess noone on here likes to make there harleys faster. anyways bro your wrong. turbocharging your harley is the best way to increase hp and especially torque. with a basic turbo kit the power and tq jump from about 79whp to aprox 140whp and 120wtq!! there is absolutely no other way you can get those kinda numbers on a non boosted engine unless ofcourse you replace the entire engine with a bigger one and you still wont get close to that power. turbos work especially good on harley vtwins!! turbos dont have to b on high revving engines either. does anyone know anything about upgrading the fuel systems and or adding a third injector??? thanks

Old 02-24-2011, 11:06 AM
blackie
Cruiser

Hey buddy here r some pictures of a couple turbo kits installed on our bikes. you can put them on either side of the bike, the right side would b easier to fabricate a kit on because you can use less pipe, and you dont even need to run an intercooler as long as your not pushing the limits. harleys r perfect for turbocharging because they already make great torque. another thing to think about if you want to make your bike fast is this.... you can go two routes all motor like most old harley guys swear by or add some boost. with the all motor route your looking at buying a new exhaust system, heads, cams, springs, port and polish, power commander, high flow intake system, pistons, rods, posibly boring the motor out ect.... now after spending about $5-$6000.00 you end up with a loud, gas guzzleing beast with maybe 30-40whp more than stock, still a slow POS!! now lets look at what im doing. im getting my turbo for free off an old mitsubishi 3000gt( u can buy these used for maybe $200), used blow off valve for $30, i have my own welding equipment so i can fabricate a stainless steel turbo manifold with scrap pieces for free, im gonna need some kinda power commander to control the fuel for around $400, the boost pipe and down pipe can be made with scraps for free, and lets add about $100 for misc nuts and bolts, flanges, hose clamps ect.. ok so thats about $750 out of my pocket for a bike that jumps from 79whp to around 140whp and from 80wtq to around 120wtq!! thats easily 40whp and 40wtq more than going with a highly modified bigger engine!! plus my bike will be twice as fast and not as loud as a big engine harley, and thats with a completely stock engine!!! soooo... save $4000 and get twice the power on bike that can easily be returned back to stock later on down the road if you wanna sell it. make sense???

Attached Thumbnails hello everyone!  im turbocharging my 07 nightster,  have ?s on upgrading fuel system-latus2.jpg   hello everyone!  im turbocharging my 07 nightster,  have ?s on upgrading fuel system-arron2.jpg   hello everyone!  im turbocharging my 07 nightster,  have ?s on upgrading fuel system-hdturboleft2.jpg   hello everyone!  im turbocharging my 07 nightster,  have ?s on upgrading fuel system-hdturboleft1.jpg  
Old 02-24-2011, 11:14 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

U want faster get a sportbike. Harley are not made for super high speed. Sorry but I think a turbo charger on harley is lame..... on a sportster...even lamer. why waste all that money on a spotster...? jeeez :/

Old 02-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Turbo ray 44
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default good luck......

have fun and good luck with your project.

OK i got a 07 nightster and im going to be adding a small tdo4 mistu turbo. im building the kit myself but ive never turbocharged a harley before and was hoping someone could give suggestion on how to control and add extra fuel for a basic turbokit running only 5-6psi.
Could i just use a power commander type piggyback system to tune the and add extra fuel while under boost??
If more fuel is necessary could i just add a third injector thats controlled by the power commander??
Is it necessary to just run bigger injectors and re-tune the idle with a power commander?

please help figure out the simplest way to add the extra fuel needed for a basic turbo kit.
and also suggest some reputable company's or brands to buy from too, because im kinda new to harley performance LOL thank KC

Old 02-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Turbo ray 44
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default good luck

great project. good luck..
4,000 miles the past 2 months, flawless.
lol i guess noone on here likes to make there harleys faster. anyways bro your wrong. turbocharging your harley is the best way to increase hp and especially torque. with a basic turbo kit the power and tq jump from about 79whp to aprox 140whp and 120wtq!! there is absolutely no other way you can get those kinda numbers on a non boosted engine unless ofcourse you replace the entire engine with a bigger one and you still wont get close to that power. turbos work especially good on harley vtwins!! turbos dont have to b on high revving engines either. does anyone know anything about upgrading the fuel systems and or adding a third injector??? thanks

Attached Thumbnails hello everyone!  im turbocharging my 07 nightster,  have ?s on upgrading fuel system-ray-in-sac.-ez-riders.jpg