Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Help-Bad Decel Pop, Killing at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:03 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help-Bad Decel Pop, Killing at Idle

Tried many search criteria for this but last night after my usual 30 mile ride home from work, experienced extreme decel pop when rolling off throttle and down shifting coming to a stop. Engine killed a couple of times when I got down to idle, but restarted easily. Had to feather the throttle to keep it running the last block before turning into the driveway, where it idled down excessively, then picked back up to normal idle. Again, restarted no problem. I run a FuelMoto PCIII Stage one, and pulled diagnostic code P1353 (no combustion front cylinder). Cleared the code and it did not return. Are these diagnostic codes even valid with PCIII? Could this code be indicative of a bad wire or ignition coil. Need a couple of suggestions before I drop $$ on a new coil. Thanks! Fred

Old 02-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dFREDb
Tried many search criteria for this but last night after my usual 30 mile ride home from work, experienced extreme decel pop when rolling off throttle and down shifting coming to a stop. Engine killed a couple of times when I got down to idle, but restarted easily. Had to feather the throttle to keep it running the last block before turning into the driveway, where it idled down excessively, then picked back up to normal idle. Again, restarted no problem. I run a FuelMoto PCIII Stage one, and pulled diagnostic code P1353 (no combustion front cylinder). Cleared the code and it did not return. Are these diagnostic codes even valid with PCIII? Could this code be indicative of a bad wire or ignition coil. Need a couple of suggestions before I drop $$ on a new coil. Thanks! Fred
Pull the plug wire,fire it up and see if it does the same thing. If it does, replace the coil.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:20 AM
dFREDb
Club Member

O.K.- Ran continuity test on both plus and wires. Unplugged wire and of course it ran rough. Interesting thing is both cylinders firing but you can hold your hand behind the pipes and exhaust out of one is HOT, but you can hold your hand behind other pipe indefinitely-firing but cool. Could this be coil related ie weak spark? No diagnostic codes coming up either.

Last edited by dFREDb; 02-22-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member

O.K.- Ran continuity test on both plus and wires. Unplugged wire and of course it ran rough. Interesting thing is both cylinders firing but you can hold your hand behind the pipes and exhaust out of one is HOT, but you can hold your hand behind other pipe indefinitely-firing but cool. Could this be coil related ie weak spark? No diagnostic codes coming up either.
Switch your plug wires and see what you get.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member

If the front cylinder fires when you switch the wires, start with new plug wires before a coil.The front piston is just pushing air.

Last edited by Mike T; 02-22-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:43 AM
dFREDb
Club Member

Alright, had a set of good wires and tried them. "Cool" exhaust still coming out of affected cylinder. When I disconnect the cooler cylinder wire and plug it back in, it does kick in and smooth out, but hot exhaust not coming out. Weird. Thanks for the help by the way!

Old 02-22-2011, 08:46 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member

Alright, had a set of good wires and tried them. "Cool" exhaust still coming out of affected cylinder. When I disconnect the cooler cylinder wire and plug it back in, it does kick in and smooth out, but hot exhaust not coming out. Weird. Thanks for the help by the way!
Pull that spark plug.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:50 AM
dFREDb
Club Member

Will do.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:59 AM
dFREDb
Club Member

Switched plugs front to back. Still pushing air same cylinder. Coil time?

Old 02-22-2011, 09:00 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member

Switched plugs front to back. Still pushing air same cylinder. Coil time?
Afraid so.

Quick Reply: Help-Bad Decel Pop, Killing at Idle