Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Capabilities vs. WinPV Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Vision Capabilities vs. WinPV Options

Is anyone else having issues with Dynojet's Power Vision WinPV tool, and more specifically missing functions or options? The documentation states and illustrates various options available for programming in Tune Manager tables providing the Options>User Level=Pro. For example, I am planning on changing tire sizes and will need to recalibrate the speedometer gear ratios. Can someone point me to how one adds the functions to the table manager?

*As an additional comment, while I like the ability to load 6 calibrations and monitor the various signals real-time. Unfortunately, Dynojet - IMO - really missed an opportunity by not including a data analysis utility ideally within the WinPV platform, but as a minimum as an associate program for viewing test log files. The current system relies on the user being adept in MS Excel to graph the data if you choose to view it in other than rows and collumns.

Note: Dynojet if you read this think Mastertune TTS Datamaster...

Old 02-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Dustball
Road Master

I mounted the unit and went for a ride today, recording several logs in the process. With the Power Vision still on the bike I attempted to play back one of the logs, which failed with the message "Error reading file." I tried each of the 6 logs collected with similar results. The help file in WinPV doesn't give much information beyond the selection and deleting of log files.

Any other users seeing some of this stuff?

Old 02-19-2011, 06:15 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did u buy it from FM ?

Old 02-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Dustball
Road Master

Originally Posted by papifun
did u buy it from FM ?
I did, and Jamie/FM is absolutely fantastic to do business with. Post sale customer service and product support have no equal. I'm aware that Jamie helps Dynojet test the PV and is an important part of their feedback loop for test, analyze and fix. But people close to a product development often times miss or overlook issues since they have processes they follow which differ from what we end users follow...like a help file, or a users manual/pamphlet.

What might be helpful is if a forum mod would make a sticky similar to what the TTS folks have above. Users could post problems and we would all know what functions in the current version of PV/WinPV aren't working correctly, or what doesn't work per the help file and if there is a workaround.

-Dusty

Old 02-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Dustball
Road Master

I noticed that there is a new PV firmware update (1.0.1-466,pvu) available. *Would be nice to see a readme with these updates to know what's being fixed in a build.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:02 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

still waiting on the AT feature closed loop to come out ..no tuners local here.. like the idea of no puggy back with ECM... try to get as much info on the PV and think of the THUNDERMAX too... i did have the PCV from FM as great support always... keep info coming DB...

Old 02-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Any idea when the Auto-Tune piece will be released?

Without it I think my SERT is just about the same. The only advantage is I wouldn't have to use a computer to reflash...

We want Auto-Tune !!!

Mike
NY

Old 02-21-2011, 08:57 AM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustball
The documentation states and illustrates various options available for programming in Tune Manager tables providing the Options>User Level=Pro.*
Did you figure out how to get to the "Pro" options? When you click "Setup", then "options", click on the "Basic" box, a drop-down arrow appears on the right side of the box. Then GO PRO!

Originally Posted by Dustball
The current system relies on the user being adept in MS Excel to graph the data if you choose to view it in other than rows and collumns.
I did a few short data runs, and I agree with your statement. The next time I do a data run, I'm going to uncheck all the items that I'm not interested in, so as to make it simpler to read. When you first click on the PV to start recording data, it has check-boxes for all the items. I left them all checked. Next time, I just want RPMs, AFR, throttle position, timing advance. Then maybe I can make heads or tails of it...

Old 02-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Dustball
Road Master

Originally Posted by GotMy11SG
Did you figure out how to get to the "Pro" options? When you click "Setup", then "options", click on the "Basic" box, a drop-down arrow appears on the right side of the box. Then GO PRO!
Yes, I found all that. One of the nuances that isn't delineated in the documentation is that you must have a calibration/tune that has those features previously "opened up." In other words, you can't start with your stock HD Stage 1 tune, saved as a .pvv file, and expect to add those tune elements with PV. That's straight from Jamie. Thankfully Fuel Moto customers get a tune included on their PV with most of the tables "opened up", but you have to wonder about other distributors. Does that mean their customers must get a tune done on their bike before they can use their new PV? Seems that Dynojet would have recognized this shortcoming and offer as a down-loadable base map with EVERYTHING opened up with all limits/boundaries included. One could then import or cut and paste tables in Compare mode from their stock map and have access to all tunable tables.

I suspect that with the above there is the possibility of doing harm to your motor, and the old "baby with a hammer" metaphor comes to mind. Still, if I'm going into the "Pro" user option then I accept the risk.

Originally Posted by GotMy11SG
I did a few short data runs, and I agree with your statement. The next time I do a data run, I'm going to uncheck all the items that I'm not interested in, so as to make it simpler to read. When you first click on the PV to start recording data, it has check-boxes for all the items. I left them all checked. Next time, I just want RPMs, AFR, throttle position, timing advance. Then maybe I can make heads or tails of it...
I actually found a product in the Mastertune TTS sticky called MegaLogViewer that is really nice for data analysis. Here's the link http://www.efianalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/. I found that after loading the viewer and attempting to open your logxxxx.csv that it'll error on you. First, open your log file in Excel (or other application of your choice) and delete the first 36 or so rows and save it. Then you can open the file in MLV, pick your three parameters my individually in each of four graphs by selecting them via click and drop down menu.

Still, it baffles me that a product that costs >$500 doesn't include a tool within WinPV, and certainly one better than a 3rd party download provides for $25...

-Dusty

Old 02-21-2011, 04:36 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,161 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Currently the PV logs your choice of channels into the display which can then be exported as a .csv which allows you to view them Excel. You can easily sort thru and analyze the data very easily, for example if you are looking for a knock event simply scroll down the column and look for any data in the specific column and you can see exactly which RPM, TPS and MAP that the knock event happened. You can also choose as few or as many channels to log and it samples 33 times per second. Having used all of the other Harley ECM data recording software on the market, the Power Vision logging works extremely well and allows you to log more channels than any of them, the only thing to get used to is that you are viewing it as text. They are currently working on the PV "on screen" log viewer, dyno specific tuning software, and there will also be a software log viewer for analysis for those who want to view them graphically. There are also several other cool applications they are working on

Because there are different tune levels and ECM base calibrations, in order to expose all of the tables within Power Vision you simply need to load and flash your calibration to the ECM, retrieve it, and open it in WinPv which will allow access to all of the available tables. Make sure you are using the newest version of software/firmware and everything is right there

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Quick Reply: Power Vision Capabilities vs. WinPV Options