Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

EFI Power Commander and the New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 09:46 PM
guiderider
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI Power Commander and the New Engine

Ok fellow riders, sit back and listen to my tail of sorrow! In December of 04 I decided to upgrade the engine on my stock 2000 Ultra Classic to the Harley 95cui Screaming Eagle Package. This included new heads, pistons and cams (the entire stage II kit), along with the stage I air filter kit. I asked the dealer to recommend a good exhaust system and he recommended the Rinehart “True Dual” Exhaust by Bub. Then he recommended they install Power Commander Power + A module. All went well and I was told to bring the bike back in after a 1000 mile break in for a run on the shop’s Dyno! During the break in period I experienced engine missing at between 2500 and 3000 rpm’s while at a constant speed. This would occur momentarily about every 5 to 12 minutes. In addition the engine would ping when lugged below 2000 rpms.

So back to the dealer on June 1st for the dyno and hopefully correct the above mentioned problems! Well it is now June 27 as I write this and the bike still is not back. The dealer maintains that the Power Commander was a poor choice ( remember they recommended it) and couldn’t be programmed properly for my bike and they were removing it!! They said they had a new race tuner program which would work with the stock EFI unit and all would be well with the bike.

At this point I don’t know what to think!!! I have been without my bike for a month! Missed Americade, Laconia, and at this point It looks like I could miss Sturgis!! Has anyone out there ever heard of this situation before??? Is the dealer BS-ing me? Power Commander seems like a reputable company?? Doesn’t it seem like an awful long time to tie up a bike?? Why remove a unit like Power Commander? I think the dealer did not have the peoper computer equipment to properly tune the unit! How long should something like this take to work on?? Any shop guys out there, what do you think??? Any help, suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated!!! I am about to put a picture of the bike on a milk carton!!!

Guiderider

Old 06-27-2005, 10:03 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: EFI Power Commander and the New Engine

First off, Tell them to give you a loaner.

Second off, it sounds like they don't know how to program a PC, and tried a canned map and are stuck now so they suggest something else. Any compitent dyno guy could set that bike up in a few hours. If they have trouble with the PC, wonder what they are going to do with the RT.

Sounds like a bunch of BS to me, but that's JMHO

MAKE SURE TO GET YOUR $$$$ BACK FOR THE PC AND INSTALLATION, then find another dealer

Old 06-28-2005, 02:17 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that is B/S, you already paid for the PC, there's nothing wrong with the PC and although the RT is o-k once installed it is married to the bike and can't be used on another bike.

I would get my bike back with the PC and find a Power Commander approved tuner near you, make an appointment, usually you can wait at the dealer and get it back the same day. Even if they put a RT on it, it does'nt take a month to custom map it especially if you start with a base map. Totally B/S. if it was me I'd get my bike back tomorrow.

John TN

Old 06-28-2005, 09:35 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Check out this site, the owner is Matt Gross, he's the person who instructs the dealers on dyno usage and is tops in the field. He has a facility that you can purchase a map that is custom made on a bike on his dyno which applies to your setup exactly, not a canned map.
Not very pricey either.

http://www.mmgmanagement.com/

Old 06-28-2005, 10:44 AM
RK101
Intermediate

Sounds like BULL SH8T to me. I think your getting

[IMG]local://upfiles/2878/1C9993D4B4264EB5923604F87D3EF94E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-28-2005, 11:36 AM
jtouchette
Advanced

Guiderider; I have just gone through the same thing during the last 4 months. It all came down to the Power Commander. Tell your mechanic to contact the person that TCSTD recommended. It's your only way through this while keeping the Power Commander. Otherwise and if you want to................the S $ S Pro Tuner is working well where the Power Commander has failed to give optimum performance.
Just my thoughts on the subject but cost me A LOT OF MONEY to find this out!

Old 06-30-2005, 07:16 PM
skos
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Talk to the owner, tell them you need them to meet your demands & compensate you for your lost time!