Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Life Expectancy for Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 07:45 AM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Life Expectancy for Battery?

My bike will soon start its 6th year on the present battery (if I re-install it). During winter storage, I pull the battery and bring into the basement to put it on the trickle charger. There is no physical damage to the battery. But, it will not last forever. So, what can I reasonably expect from this battery, another year or two, OR should I replace it now? Five years on this battery seems beyond normal. By the way, I ride about 8,000 miles per year and mostly on remote backroads (so a roadside breakdown would make for a very long day). Thanks.

Last edited by OneBlackFly; 01-22-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: corrected wording on tender
Old 01-22-2011, 07:50 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by OneBlackFly
My bike will soon start its 6th year on the present battery (if I re-install it). During winter storage, I pull the battery and bring into the basement to occasionally put it on the trickle charger. There is no physical damage to the battery. But, it will not last forever. So, what can I reasonably expect from this battery, another year or two, OR should I replace it now? Five years on this battery seems beyond normal. By the way, I ride about 8,000 miles per year and mostly on remote backroads (so a roadside breakdown would make for a very long day). Thanks.

Rather than remove the battery for the trickle charger, why not have a battery tender on it every day when you're not riding? I'm so glad I finally did it. Nothing helps a battery more than a good battery tender with just a plug in application. Incidentally, if you are on your sixth year, you are doing well, but I'd start shopping soon just in case, since NO ONE really knows when any particular battery will say, "I give up-I've had enough".

Old 01-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO you're about maxed out on your battery. I got 7 yrs. on one I put on a battery tender every winter.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:00 AM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master

I got 8 years on my last battery and yes, it hooked up to a battery tender every day after the ride. I have just over 5 on this one, which is the original with the bike. I'm hoping for another 3...maybe. The battery to keep an eye on is your fob battery. I found that out the hard way, when I found myself stranded in the middle of no where. Fortunately, I discovered a work-a-round, which I'm sure a few of you know about.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:30 AM
OneBlackFly
Club Member

Clarification on my battery tender. It is on the battery all the time after all when not in the bike.

I think I'll look for one of the new gel batteries for this season.

Last edited by OneBlackFly; 01-22-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The OEM battery on my 06 roadglide is still going strong. I put the battery tender on it in the winter but not during riding season. I don't plan to replace the battery until it shows signs of weakness.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Great Gazoo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
Rather than remove the battery for the trickle charger, why not have a battery tender on it every day when you're not riding? I'm so glad I finally did it. Nothing helps a battery more than a good battery tender with just a plug in application. Incidentally, if you are on your sixth year, you are doing well, but I'd start shopping soon just in case, since NO ONE really knows when any particular battery will say, "I give up-I've had enough".
+1

Old 01-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Gobike
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're on borrowed time. Compare the price of a replacement battery and getting yourself outa a jam out in the sticks, and the battery will appear pretty cheap. Plus it will free up your head to worry about something else.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:00 PM
2KSport
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made it 10yrs on the factory battery in my 35k+ sporty. I replaced it because I got tired of having to remember to plug it up if I was riding the next day. Bought a new battery and tender with plug in leads on battery much easier+++.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:47 PM
seph10
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Any time you get 5 years on any battery you did well,,if your bike starts a little sluggish,,time for a new one ,,till then,,your good to go,,,,if there is nothing wrong with your charging system,,,the battery won't die suddenly,,

Quick Reply: Life Expectancy for Battery?