Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:43 AM
KBour
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Disappointing Dyno Experience!

Owning a 2004 Dyna-WG without O2 sensors, I realized (through this forum) that I could not tune the cycle myself even though I purchased a SE Pro Super Tuner (SEPST). I called and talked to the owner of a shop in Winchester, VA (I won't name it, but others did recommend it). I explained that I already had a SE stock map installed, but I was getting a lot of decel popping and wanted to be sure I had a proper tune. He told me that the cost to Dyno the bike would be $395 and assured me that they would "touch" every single table and cell in Super Tuner.

I got the bike back and, during the 50 mile trip home, it rode about the same as before - still decel popping and, occasionally, when shifting from 1st to 2nd. It didn't feel any peppier either, so I downloaded the VCI map and compared it to the one I had before I went to the shop. Only a few values were changed in the VE-Front and VE-Rear (500-750 RPM mostly). Not a single value was changed in the AFR or any of the other tables!

I called to express my disappointment that, for $395, I basically just got the stock SE map reloaded, which I already paid H-D $79 to install! The owner explained that I shouldn't have expected anything different - they start with a base config and then only mess with the VE tables! That is NOT what I was told on the phone before the sale! Now he tells me that I could have had a free assessment and, maybe, it would have shown that no tune was even needed!!! I am now out $480 in labor fees and all I have, essentially, is a SE stock map with minimal customization!

I don't know whether I have been cheated, compromised, or sucker-punched! I also don't know if my bike is running optimally or not! Yeah, this pretty much sucks...

Ken

Old 10-21-2011, 12:36 PM
gtaylorlandman
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, the Street Performance Tuner P/N 41000008 has been replaced by P/N 41000008B which allows customers to download maps themselves instead of going to the dealer.

Per the 2012 SE Performance Catalog: "you have online access to the latest factory calibrations" and "It also features expanded tuning options outside of the emissions range to optimize performance." It also states that only the Air to Fuel Ratio is tunable.

I took delivery of a 2012 Dyna Switchback 103 in July. I purchased the only exhaust upgrade available, the SE Nightstick by Super Trapp (IMO a POS) and a high flow a/c. The dealer installed a stage 1 download and all was fine until I gutted the cat and pulled out the baffle on the muffler. The bike runs great but I have some decel popping that needs to be addressed.

Side bar: Prior to the removal of the baffle and cat mod, I was getting a real bad vibration right at 3k rpm in all gears. After the redneck mods, the vibrations are completely gone.

If these are the only mods I doing, would the new Street Performance Tuner be all I need to eliminate the decel popping?

Thanks

Old 10-25-2011, 02:02 PM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KBour

I don't know whether I have been cheated, compromised, or sucker-punched! I also don't know if my bike is running optimally or not! Yeah, this pretty much sucks...

Ken
How do the before and after torque/hp graphs look?

The after graph should be smoother, and higher.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:27 PM
KBour
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Cool Dyno Graph

Originally Posted by poppavein
How do the before and after torque/hp graphs look?

The after graph should be smoother, and higher.
Hmmm... I asked about the "before" Torque/HP and was told they did not run a Dyno prior to beginning the tuning operation. I guess that tells me something right there!

I have an 88 cu in engine and my max Torque is 89 and the HP is 80 after tuning if that tells you anything. I attached a JPG image of the graph they gave me. I used Paint to enhance the lines - sorry if it's a little messy. Hopefully, it is large enough to be legible.

Ken

Attached Thumbnails SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread-kb-dyno-run-2004-dyna-wg-ehn-.jpg  
Old 10-26-2011, 02:43 PM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KBour
Hmmm... I asked about the "before" Torque/HP and was told they did not run a Dyno prior to beginning the tuning operation. I guess that tells me something right there!

Ken
"We did something to your bike for $400 and you'll just have to trust us that we did something and runs better."

My tuner has always provided before and after graphs. And he only charges $150. Their hourly rate is not cheap, about $90/hr.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:28 PM
08FXDL105th
Stage IV

I have a stock 08 FXDL 105th. I just bought a sepst, v@h big radius 2-2, SE heavy breather, and big city thunder baffles.....I am going to install these and was wondering if anyone had a map for this (So i can make it 50 miles to the dealer to get it dyno tuned) thanks (my E-mail is dominichowe@hotmail.com)

Old 10-27-2011, 07:57 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 08FXDL105th
I have a stock 08 FXDL 105th. I just bought a sepst, v@h big radius 2-2, SE heavy breather, and big city thunder baffles.....I am going to install these and was wondering if anyone had a map for this (So i can make it 50 miles to the dealer to get it dyno tuned) thanks (my E-mail is dominichowe@hotmail.com)
If you bought the software also, you should be able to find a calibration that is close enough to safely get you to the tuner. I ran one of the canned maps for almost a year until I swapped my cams; it ran great.

Mark

Old 10-27-2011, 08:20 PM
08FXDL105th
Stage IV

thanks....i will try that

Old 11-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Scouser1
Cruiser

Tried to edit and it double posted?

Scouser

Last edited by Scouser1; 11-05-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Scouser1
Cruiser

I have a 2006 FXDI35, 88 motor without O2 sensors.
I have just bought the super tuner, leads and disc and am going to have a go in the morning, it's 12.15am here now.
I have S&S type taper mufflers and have bought a Ness big sucker.
Will I need to know the injector size/ angle for my bike to do the tune?
If so does anyone know what it is?
Thanks
Scouser

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread