Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:18 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gd55
Still trying to make this SEPro tuner work for me,I started new last Thrusday after work.
-Loaded the base map for 2011 Dyna to the ecm with smart tune enabled.
-Let the bike warm-up then pressed the button to start recording.
-Left the neighborhood slowly holding speed constant every 5 mph for 10 to 15 seconds
-By the time I had the speeds in the 45 to 55 mph range I dropped onto the Interstate.
-Was able to record all the way up to 85mph and had plenty of recording time left to start slow and work back up.
-Downloaded this run,opened ve front and rear,opened smart tune for front and rear and did a update,saved file and
flashed back to ecm,smart tune NOT checked this time.
-Run 2 today was a hour long ride trough the countryside,a normal cruise for me.
- Started by reflashing the previously saved run with smart tune checked.did the run,downloaded,updated ve's and flashed back to ecm
-One last step was to set idle to 920 rpm's and set the whole Closed Loop Bias table to 760mv.
- Took another ride with this map and the motor is running a lot smoother and a lot less decel popping.

My question is can I make any more improvements?Or just ride it for awhile and see what happens.I also want to move from 2.25 inch Rush slip ons to 1.75 inch.
Would I have to start over or will this tune work?

Tomorrow I may just go out and enjoy the ride instead
of more tuning.
Changing the baffles will effect the VE. I can't say how much but I'd go ahead and repeat the Smart Tune Process afterward if it were me.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:21 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RA51
The map the bike is running on will be stored in the vci. Just open super tuner program to manually select file screen. You will see vci an click it an it will download map from vci. When connected to bike.
That is what I did, but then when trying to use smart tune, it wont let me flash or click the smart tune box. I am wondering if it is because the map is already flashed. If I save the current map, then load a different map, I wonder if I can go back and load the tuned map and then be able to smart tune it?

Old 05-31-2011, 12:05 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RK09RK
Hi Bennie- been a while... Can you open the map on the VCI by choosing load calibration, click choose file, select the VCI tab, and then see the map file in the folder? Just curious. Also, sometimes I get the same x'ed out icons and error message where I can't load or reflash or do anything. I usually have to exit the software and re-open before it allows me.
Hey RK. I missed this post. You recognized me...lol. Yes I can see the map. I saved it, but when I try to load it and click the smart tune box, everything is greyed out. I tried rebooting software and still nothing.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:20 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by RA51
The map the bike is running on will be stored in the vci. Just open super tuner program to manually select file screen. You will see vci an click it an it will download map from vci. When connected to bike.
agreed

Originally Posted by Guitar4Him
This isn't a new VCI...it's the one that the dealer used to dyno my bike. Wouldn't this mean that the map that is currently in the ECM would be also in the VCI from when they did the dyno? Could I save that as a file and then, use that to do smart tuning? Is a map actually saved and stored in the VCI?
have you opened/downloaded the VCI map? Yes if there is a map in there it would be the same as the ECM. did the dealer use the VCI to flash the ECM, perhaps, but the dealer has their own equipment and may have flashed direct to the ECM and handed you the new VCI empty. Only you can tell us if the VCI has a map saved in it with your software.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:46 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
That is what I did, but then when trying to use smart tune, it wont let me flash or click the smart tune box. I am wondering if it is because the map is already flashed. If I save the current map, then load a different map, I wonder if I can go back and load the tuned map and then be able to smart tune it?
Originally Posted by PistonPuller
Hey RK. I missed this post. You recognized me...lol. Yes I can see the map. I saved it, but when I try to load it and click the smart tune box, everything is greyed out. I tried rebooting software and still nothing.
when you downloaded from the VCI, did you make any changes or were you trying to reload the same map, just curious. did you save or saveas with a new file name and then try to upload. more details please.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Guitar4Him
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
agreed

have you opened/downloaded the VCI map? Yes if there is a map in there it would be the same as the ECM. did the dealer use the VCI to flash the ECM, perhaps, but the dealer has their own equipment and may have flashed direct to the ECM and handed you the new VCI empty. Only you can tell us if the VCI has a map saved in it with your software.
Well, I went out to the garage and hooked everything up. It turns out that there was a map in the VCI. I downloaded it and saved it. I attached a screenshot of the info to this post. So, should I be able to begin the Smart Tune process with this map? Sorry if this sound lame but I'm new to all this.

Attached Thumbnails SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread-original-map.jpg  
Old 05-31-2011, 10:00 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I went out to the garage and hooked everything up. It turns out that there was a map in the VCI. I downloaded it and saved it. I attached a screenshot of the info to this post. So, should I be able to begin the Smart Tune process with this map? Sorry if this sound lame but I'm new to all this.

Yes. That is what I am doing...going off the HD Dealership dynotune.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:37 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Default start tuning

Yes, you can now start tuning with data runs. save this map to your computer. set the VCI to record with smart tune and fuel reset boxes checked. go for a 15-30 minute data run, do not over do it as this setting is not for continuous use. do not be surprised if the bike does not feel right. with smart tune checked all AFR is set to 14.6, I found the bike lacked some performance in some areas.
TIP: I have lost several data runs because I shut off the engine before I stopped the VCI record, you lose/waste the data run and will find nothing to use to smart tune.
Use saveas for each time you make changes, I used the date for file names, that way you keep the option open to go back to a previous file to start again should a test change not be acceptable.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:41 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by paud
Yes. That is what I am doing...going off the HD Dealership dynotune.
going for dyno tune to see how close you got with smartune? look forward to that result.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Steve06FXDB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys I just read this whole thread and I have to say its awsome!!! I just paid my dealer to upload a map using my SESTP and after reading this I think I wasted my money.

I have the usb cable but I have to buy the other cable. I also need to software and the manual.

Is anyone able to send me the manual via email?? As well, how big is the software? Can this be sent via email in a zip file??

s__whelan@hotmail.com

Thanks alot guys, I cant wait to start tuning my bike and getting it right!!! I will definitly have questions in the days to come!

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread