Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 10:18 AM
Klock20
Cruiser
Received 199 Likes on 86 Posts
Default 2022 low rider s tune

I just got a 2022 LRS 117 I put a bassani 2-1 and kept the stock a/c I picked up the pro street tuner for obvious warranty reasons, i did the smart tune then i talked to the dealership about doing a stage 2 with their torque cam and the head tech said the cam that comes in it is basically the same cam and it wasn't worth spending the money on and to wait for the warranty to be up and go with a woods 22xe. That being said if the cam that comes in the new LRS 117 is basically the same cam should I have loaded the stage 2 base map instead of the stage 1 assuming the stage 2 on the tuner isn't only for the hp cam. Thanks for your time

Old 04-10-2022, 05:35 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,594 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Ride it and be happy, or change it until you are
(HD doesn't even offer a "stage 2 map" for the FXLRS or FXLRST. )

Old 04-10-2022, 09:03 AM
Klock20
Cruiser

[QUOTE=rigidthumper;20550065]Ride it and be happy, or change it until you are
(HD doesn't even offer a "stage 2 map" for the FXLRS or FXLRST. )

[/QUOTE
Ok well that answers that i could have sworn i saw a stage two on there i had to use my brother's computer to do all of my tuning because I have all apple computers and didn't feel like going and buying one just to tune my bike

The following users liked this post:
rigidthumper (04-11-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 10:23 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm glad to see the contributions by experienced tuners here. I haven't read everything in this thread yet but I just got a 2021 Sport Glide and have decided that I need to think about adding the SE HD tuner components. Since the Cats are in the slipons now this has raised some concerns in my mind. I used a non-OEM tuner on my '06 nightrain that was a stage 2 setup and had fun changing to a set of wide band O2 sensors. So the scenario I am wondering about is that I am currently in a state that does not require an environmental inspection on motorcycles. I love the EPA insisting upon using narrow band O2 sensors (NOT). So... to pass emission inspections the question becomes what to do when you have an inspection due (if you ever do).

As I understand it, I have to replace my narrow band sensors with wide band and I'm not yet clear on the best way to do that... but it seems I can drill out the narrow band bung, re-thread it to an 18mm thread, then get a narrow band adapter so that I can return the sensors to stock when I want to pass an inspection? And since I kept my stock slip on I can then >possibly< pass the inspection. So what will the SESPT do in terms of adapting the emissions? How long will I need to ride the bike to get the emissions adjusted if at all? Do I need to manually detune the map? How ridiculous does this get? I am not crazy about a 15 AFR for a long period of time...

Please excuse me if I find comments in this thread that answer these questions!

Old 04-16-2022, 11:23 AM
Klock20
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cwsharp
I'm glad to see the contributions by experienced tuners here. I haven't read everything in this thread yet but I just got a 2021 Sport Glide and have decided that I need to think about adding the SE HD tuner components. Since the Cats are in the slipons now this has raised some concerns in my mind. I used a non-OEM tuner on my '06 nightrain that was a stage 2 setup and had fun changing to a set of wide band O2 sensors. So the scenario I am wondering about is that I am currently in a state that does not require an environmental inspection on motorcycles. I love the EPA insisting upon using narrow band O2 sensors (NOT). So... to pass emission inspections the question becomes what to do when you have an inspection due (if you ever do).

As I understand it, I have to replace my narrow band sensors with wide band and I'm not yet clear on the best way to do that... but it seems I can drill out the narrow band bung, re-thread it to an 18mm thread, then get a narrow band adapter so that I can return the sensors to stock when I want to pass an inspection? And since I kept my stock slip on I can then >possibly< pass the inspection. So what will the SESPT do in terms of adapting the emissions? How long will I need to ride the bike to get the emissions adjusted if at all? Do I need to manually detune the map? How ridiculous does this get? I am not crazy about a 15 AFR for a long period of time...

as far as i know and i could be wrong but everything ive read says that all of the tunes/tuning done with the new SESPT are to epa certified specifications.

Old 04-17-2022, 07:29 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by cwsharp

Narrow bands or wide bands are simply ways of measuring AFR @ the pipe. Either one requires the ECM to be set up to read whichever you have. The factory tune uses narrow bands to keep the system within an EPA/CARB window. The SE tuner can use the stock sensors, or use wideband sensors, but keeps the tune within the same window.
You have to modify the programming in the ECM if you wish to eliminate the cat converters & avoid the EPA regulations regarding emissions, which requires an aftermarket tuner. You can use TTS Mastertune, TR Direct Link, or DJ Power Vision, to reprogram the factory ECM, or Thundermax, to replace it completely. How deep down the rabbit hole do you want to go?

Old 04-17-2022, 12:41 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
Narrow bands or wide bands are simply ways of measuring AFR @ the pipe. Either one requires the ECM to be set up to read whichever you have. The factory tune uses narrow bands to keep the system within an EPA/CARB window. The SE tuner can use the stock sensors, or use wideband sensors, but keeps the tune within the same window.
You have to modify the programming in the ECM if you wish to eliminate the cat converters & avoid the EPA regulations regarding emissions, which requires an aftermarket tuner. You can use TTS Mastertune, TR Direct Link, or DJ Power Vision, to reprogram the factory ECM, or Thundermax, to replace it completely. How deep down the rabbit hole do you want to go?
Thanks for your reply.
Narrow bands allow for EPA factory tunes and wide bands have the additional data width to handle the autotuning software to manage the maps within a range as I understand it. Also, you can supposedly make minor changes to one of the 3 maps you get as a base map with the kits. This of course is 3rd party info. The cats are automatically gone when using a 3rd party slip on in a 2021 softail. What can't happen is with a 3rd party slip on you meet EPA standards without additional changes. I like autotune since I go through a variety of environmental conditions in my travels. What I am trying to decide is what I need to do to when I use the SESPT and face emissons inspections and if its possible will it be worth the $1k that I will end up investing for stage 1 (at a minimum) and maintaining warranty and passing inspections.

Old 04-17-2022, 02:29 PM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

O2 sensors only report residual oxygen in the exhaust. That information is used by the ECM:
Narrowbands are fast & accurate near stoic, 14.6:1 AFR.
Widebands have a slower, but broader, reporting range, 10-15 AFR.
The ECM programming is designed to make the engine run adequately while meeting specs( & passing noise & emissions requirements).
The SE tuner allows +/-4% change in closed loop areas, and +/-10% in open loop areas. The range of measurement increases with the addition of widebands, but the range of adjustment does not. The bike using the SE tuner is certified to pass emissions with only specific components (a recipe). Those components may include an SE air cleaner, SE exhaust, SE engine components, and SE sensors .
Being certified means if you follow their recipe you will pass emissions. If you change to third party options, no guarantees. It may pass, it may not, and which O2 sensor you have installed is irrelevant.

Old 04-19-2022, 05:10 AM
HDkazHD
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default VE vs AFR

I’m thinking…
example AFR is set at 13.0, what’s the effects/results if the corresponding VE is 50 (after smart tune) vs 70 (canned)?

I assume the 70 VE will cause the bike to be richer? whereas the 50 VE will be more or less spot on the set AFR of 13.

Old 04-19-2022, 11:08 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Tuning process is calibrating the VE table so the AFR measured (O2 sensors) is equal to the AFR desired (set). Say the AFR desired @ a specific cell was 13:1, and the VE table was set to 50 in that cell, simply part of the base map. When you measured the AFR @ the exhaust, it was actually 15:1. Increasing the VE table to 70 (from 50) should richen the mix at that spot ~2 AFRs. Measure at least 3 times, adjust at least twice. You want the VE table set so that the AFR measured by the O2 sensors falls within a couple tenths of desired every time.

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread