Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 07:35 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hesitation.
So, I decided to put on a new clutch cable and decided at the time to put in new SE spark wires. Took the take off, an decided to wait until I had the clutch cable installed before I put it all back together. During this time I checked the spark gaps, clean the terminals, and installed the new SE wires. Also while the take was off, I noticed I could turn the injectors to the right or left by pushing on the connectors. I figured it was just going to do that and no harm. SO, bike is back together and now I have hesitation at steady throttle. Did a recorded run and did a lot of steady throttle at different speeds and tach readings and felt the hesitation and thought, "good", the recording will pick it up. When i looked at the recording I did not see anything noticeable. Suggestions? Input? Ideas?

Old 05-11-2016, 08:32 AM
Doc4545
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 33 Posts

Hope this is the proper place to ask the following. My '14 FXDF is the first fuel injected bike I've owned. It came with the SE Super Tuner Pro (not installed until I bought the bike)-I added the Ventilator A/C and Bassani Road Rage. The dealer did the install/tune.

I still get popping on decel (service writer says it's normal-hmm), the bike seems to run great though I'm wondering if this is the best tuner for this bike or should I get something different?

I'm woefully ignorant on this matter so pardon what may be a stupid question. Thanks.

Last edited by Doc4545; 05-11-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:53 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by paud
hesitation.
So, I decided to put on a new clutch cable and decided at the time to put in new SE spark wires. Took the take off, an decided to wait until I had the clutch cable installed before I put it all back together. During this time I checked the spark gaps, clean the terminals, and installed the new SE wires. Also while the take was off, I noticed I could turn the injectors to the right or left by pushing on the connectors. I figured it was just going to do that and no harm. SO, bike is back together and now I have hesitation at steady throttle. Did a recorded run and did a lot of steady throttle at different speeds and tach readings and felt the hesitation and thought, "good", the recording will pick it up. When i looked at the recording I did not see anything noticeable. Suggestions? Input? Ideas?
my 1st suggestion would be to put the stock plug wires back on and see if your hesitation goes away. Some of these wires including SE wires do not play well with Harley's ION Sensing systems.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:00 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Doc4545
Hope this is the proper place to ask the following. My '14 FXDF is the first fuel injected bike I've owned. It came with the SE Super Tuner Pro (not installed until I bought the bike)-I added the Ventilator A/C and Bassani Road Rage. The dealer did the install/tune.

I still get popping on decel (service writer says it's normal-hmm), the bike seems to run great though I'm wondering if this is the best tuner for this bike or should I get something different?

I'm woefully ignorant on this matter so pardon what may be a stupid question. Thanks.
The SEPST is an excellent tuner. The popping on decel could be a number of things and your dealer-tuner is ignorant if he tells you it's normal, it's NOT normal. Could be timing in those areas of decel, could be fuel in those areas of decel, could be an exhaust leak, could be an intake leak. But even with all that said, Harley techs (not all of them but the majority of them) are not the most competent tuners, especially since most of them will tune to EPA standards which make your bike run like crap. My suggestion would be to take the bike to someone locally that knows how to tune with your device that you already own. Don't let some yahoo talk you into buying another tuner, what you have is great.

Keep in mind all tuning devices; TTS, SEPST, PowerVision, Fuelpak, SuperChips, PowerCommander, DirectLink, etc. are all crappy tuning devices when not used properly.

If you tell me where you're located I'll help you find someone close by to tune your bike properly with your SEPST.

The following users liked this post:
Doc4545 (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 09:27 AM
Doc4545
Tourer

Thanks! I'm in the Denver area. I appreciate your help.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:07 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks! I'm in the Denver area. I appreciate your help.
Redhill Motorcycle Werx in Lyons

303-823-6363

excellent reputation for tuning from mild to wild with the SEPST.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:27 AM
Doc4545
Tourer

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Redhill Motorcycle Werx in Lyons

303-823-6363

excellent reputation for tuning from mild to wild with the SEPST.
Redhill is closed, might be from when Lyons got devastated by flooding in 2014.

I'm looking for a shop in the Denver metro area, 20-30 minutes radius. I do appreciate the reference.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:26 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Redhill is closed, might be from when Lyons got devastated by flooding in 2014.

I'm looking for a shop in the Denver metro area, 20-30 minutes radius. I do appreciate the reference.
Talked to 2 good tuners I know last night and although neither could remember his name, they both recommended the tuner at Avalanche HD.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:43 AM
Doc4545
Tourer

Ok, thanks, that's actually the shop where I bought the bike and did the install/tune. Of course that was a year ago so perhaps there's been some change. I'll be over there later today and see what I can find out.

Again I greatly appreciate the help. Ride safe.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:24 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
my 1st suggestion would be to put the stock plug wires back on and see if your hesitation goes away. Some of these wires including SE wires do not play well with Harley's ION Sensing systems.
Friggin A. Front spark plug gap was BAD. I looked like I dropped it on the floor before installation! All is well now.

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread