Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 12:08 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ping-ing

I have used SEPro many times but have run into a dilemma.
I ran a few smart tunes because I heard some pining. Corrected VE and then move timing just a bit.
Now I have a ping on acceleration.
Here is the delema: When in smart tune I do not hear nor notice the ping.
WHen I recorded with out smart tune I saw where the ping was, but there was also some acceleration gas coming in.
Could I use the data I recorded without smart tune to correct timing?

Old 07-12-2015, 07:58 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by paud
I have used SEPro many times but have run into a dilemma.
I ran a few smart tunes because I heard some pining. Corrected VE and then move timing just a bit.
Now I have a ping on acceleration.
Here is the delema: When in smart tune I do not hear nor notice the ping.
WHen I recorded with out smart tune I saw where the ping was, but there was also some acceleration gas coming in.
Could I use the data I recorded without smart tune to correct timing?
if the data does not show a ping then how could you use it?
do a data run without smartune and if you do get ping live it will be recorded as well. smartune setting retards timing 4* BTW

Old 07-12-2015, 10:17 PM
paud
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
if the data does not show a ping then how could you use it?
do a data run without smartune and if you do get ping live it will be recorded as well. smartune setting retards timing 4* BTW
Well, yeah. My point being that if i am recording and it is not smart tune and I see a ping AND at that ping data shows accel enrichment, do i go to ve first, or timing first.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:33 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member

Well, yeah. My point being that if i am recording and it is not smart tune and I see a ping AND at that ping data shows accel enrichment, do i go to ve first, or timing first.
identify the frame for timing cell that is involved in the knock retard F or R. then what cell just before. go to timing and retard a couple degrees and do another data run.
(finding it hard to put into words)
compare timing in those cells and if it is where you advanced then you are on right track.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:40 AM
paud
Road Master

identify the frame for timing cell that is involved in the knock retard F or R. then what cell just before. go to timing and retard a couple degrees and do another data run.
(finding it hard to put into words)
compare timing in those cells and if it is where you advanced then you are on right track.
I understand. I just was not sure if the accel enrichment would throw things off.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:47 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member

I understand. I just was not sure if the accel enrichment would throw things off.
AE will affect VE & ping. when smartuning it adds fuel and expected air will be wrong. a ping that may have occurred due to a lean condition may be masked. IMO not a big concern for finding/fixing your problem. usually the point where ping is reported is already several frames past when it occurred as it is a response to a knock, not the actual time of the knock

Old 07-13-2015, 07:43 PM
Donk kinney
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a tuning problem I have a 2014 breakout Vance and Hines short shots and a heavy breather with the screaming Eagle supertuner. And my pipes crackle and pop extremely on deceleration and when I let off the throttleas aswell as shift gears. I know with the Vance and Hines short shots this happens a little bit but not extreme like it is now. I just need to know if I need more fuel more air or if I'm to rich already. I took at the Harley-Davidson and they adjusted my fuel it helped a little bit but not as much as it should

Old 07-15-2015, 02:05 PM
paud
Road Master

AE will affect VE & ping. when smartuning it adds fuel and expected air will be wrong. a ping that may have occurred due to a lean condition may be masked. IMO not a big concern for finding/fixing your problem. usually the point where ping is reported is already several frames past when it occurred as it is a response to a knock, not the actual time of the knock
Did a half hour run today, recorded NOT using 'Smart Tune". Heard pinging when hard on the throttle, wide open. Downloaded recording and....NO knock retard incidences. Oh Well.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:12 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member

Did a half hour run today, recorded NOT using 'Smart Tune". Heard pinging when hard on the throttle, wide open. Downloaded recording and....NO knock retard incidences. Oh Well.
Then you are hearing something other than knock/ping

Old 07-16-2015, 07:55 AM
Sam D.
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I was having a rattling (like a ping) sound when pulling away from stops when fully hot now that the outside temps are up in upper 80's ... Lowered my AF setting to 10% Ethanol Grade Gas and it stopped it.

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread