Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 10:29 PM
rednred
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Default a timing question

I have been working with VE tables on my 2013 dyna low rider with SE AC and 'stock' exhaust except for larger (3") baffle (in stock muffler) - it's very much like a bassanni slip on and really like sound so am working to get tune right.

I'm post 3rd smart tune and VE tables are coming along nicely - i.e. mostly changed around the 5% or less for the most part so feel like I'm getting close there.

I was looking through other tables and saw how much timing was pulled in the last saved and working tables compared to original and was surprised ... especially since I'm at altitude (and one of the first thing done in old school tuning was to advance timing because of altitude). Last saved and working are same so made screen shot showing last saved and original. So, when the tune is flashed (Not in smart-tune mode) which of these tables does it load ... and if the 'retarded' timing table does anyone have idea of why so much timing is being pulled? fwiw - I have looked through recordings and saw 0 knock. As you can see in the screen shot starting point is the regular stage 1 tune(357SDQ001) .

Thanks for the great thread and all the experienced and patient responders.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:48 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

rednred
except for the green area 12 was pulled in every cell, green area protected from pulling up to 12. previously I am only aware of 4 being pulled when a smartune is checked and flashed. But it returns to what it was when re flashed. This is done for tuning purposes only to avoid ping. with your it may be pulling 12 to avoid ping.

now I have to ask, did you flash a smartune to VCI and then pull it from the vci and use that file to do the updated VE, and then keep using that file.

for a test only you should flash the original file with smartune checked and immediately pull it out to see if the timing again is pulled 12.

SEPST does not tune timing automatically

Old 03-27-2015, 09:16 AM
rednred
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey Canuck - Thanks for the quick and excellent response. After I saw this I went back through the saved versions of my tune and found a version (the save after my first smart tune) that was as expected - i.e. pulled 4. I must have loaded from VCI after that ... and probably more than once -- in fact, I'll bet I did it a couple more times with an additional 4 being pulled each time !! It seems this gets at what you were wanting to see in the test you suggested -- i.e. the program is only pulling 4 - I just made it pull 4 several times.

So - lesson learned - when loading tunes to do smart tunes start with tune from file not from VCI which makes perfect sense after thinking about it

I thought it was the case that super tuner did not do anything with timing so thanks for confirming that. I'm not sure yet whether it's worth playing with timing after VEs are dialed in initially. Only reason for considering it is that I'm at >5000 feet high - if not at altitude I would leave it alone ... and may leave it anyway. IF I do play with timing I've read (am assuming) VEs will have to be addressed again with final timing.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
rednred
except for the green area 12 was pulled in every cell, green area protected from pulling up to 12. previously I am only aware of 4 being pulled when a smartune is checked and flashed. But it returns to what it was when re flashed. This is done for tuning purposes only to avoid ping. with your it may be pulling 12 to avoid ping.

now I have to ask, did you flash a smartune to VCI and then pull it from the vci and use that file to do the updated VE, and then keep using that file.

for a test only you should flash the original file with smartune checked and immediately pull it out to see if the timing again is pulled 12.

SEPST does not tune timing automatically

Old 03-30-2015, 10:54 PM
paulycoppola5
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello guys, I'm coming into this thread very very late...but I just picked up my bike a few weeks ago, so I am now joining in the fun. I don't know too much about the SEPST that I have with my bike but I've done a TON of reading on it. I am coming from the car world of EFI/Carb tuning and trying to apply some of that knowledge here and probably confused myself more than I was in the first place. It's all very similar but all just different enough to make it tricky. I read every post of every other thread relating to this tuner and its software and got nearly 150 pages into this thread...until I was ready to call it quits and just have my bike dyno'd. Basically what I'm looking for now is this: can anyone send me a map that they've made for their bike, and are currently running with success, that I could just load into my ECM? I do not know if that is possible...but worth a shot. I have a 2013 Breakout 103ci with vance and hines big radius 2-2 pipes and the S&S stealth air cleaner kit. All else is stock on the bike. I run 91 octane ethanol free fuel. (luckily a local gas station carries ethanol free) My bike has 2000 miles on it. I am not looking for a super hopped up max performance tune. Just want a safe tune that's a little rich to help temps stay cooler, compensate for my pipes and breather, and see a nice brown spark plug. (or as close to it as possible)...Not looking for perfection here, just want my bike to run decent the way it currently sits. It's doubtful that I'll ever take the motor mods any further in the future.

I have just started to look at and play with this software and I just am having a hard time with the smart tuning and the rest of its features. It is extremely user UN-friendly. I loaded the canned stage 1 map onto the bike but it is still running fairly lean, too lean for my liking anyways. Slight popping on decels. I'm a huge motor head and generally know what I'm doing (or can at least figure it out) and fully understand 90% of the EFI tuning concepts and how it all works. I just really am having a terrible hard time using this software and I'm getting fed up. Riding season is almost here and I am tired of playing around with it. Just want to hop on and ride without blowing the thing up lol. Thanks in advance for the help and replies fellas. Take care.

Last edited by paulycoppola5; 03-30-2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:22 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome Pauly!! I was in a pretty similar situation to you about 12 months ago. You are definitely on the right track with all the reading (I know there's a lot). I am by no means an expert on this, but one thing I will say is it's pointless borrowing a map from someone, even with the same setup because every motor will breathe differently. A stage one setup would be fine with a canned map and some 'smart tuning' to get your VEs right. Then you could look at richening it up slightly if you need to, and play with timing etc. but get your VEs set first. Check out https://www.hdforums.com/forum/exhau...r-dummies.html and http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...e-with-a-SEPST and keep reading the sticky. Do lots of homework.
I've had a lot of help, from several members of this forum, to get my bike running right. Hopefully they will be able to lend you a hand too.
Good Luck, and don't give up. Its worth the effort in the long run.

The following users liked this post:
CHUDDLESTON (01-02-2020)
Old 03-31-2015, 09:53 PM
stonecoldhd
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New to this SEPST program but had real good luck tuning my previous '08 efi with the TTS Mastertune. This software is not so user friendly.

Ok then, I have a new 2015 RG, and just put the harley 113 kit on it. Oddly enough, the hd tuning software does not have a calibration for a 113. Started with a 120r since it had the same cams. Changed ci from 120 to 113. Matched up injector sizes, bore, heads, etc with what is installed. Started up and seemed to be fine. A few miles in testing, I noticed plugs were a bit darker than I expected, running a bit rich. Started with the smart tuning.

I've done about 6 runs at nearly 15 min and updated with smart tune. I have a bad cough and backfire spot about 1400 to 1800 rpm. Smart tune doesn't seem to adjust as much as I think it needs. Is there a limit tot the smart tune adjustments each time? Seems one time it bumps it up, another it drops a few. Mit coughs, spits,,backfires, and bucks bad like it's going to break something. Runs decent elsewhere, and under emulate tune seems to be reasonable. Any suggestions?

I want to give this SEPST a chance, but almost ready to dump it for the TTS. There are some useful features in TTS I miss.

Also, is,there a useful users manual for,the current SEPST software?

Thank you for your inputs.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:55 PM
paulycoppola5
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Oz Nightrain
Welcome Pauly!! I was in a pretty similar situation to you about 12 months ago. You are definitely on the right track with all the reading (I know there's a lot). I am by no means an expert on this, but one thing I will say is it's pointless borrowing a map from someone, even with the same setup because every motor will breathe differently. A stage one setup would be fine with a canned map and some 'smart tuning' to get your VEs right. Then you could look at richening it up slightly if you need to, and play with timing etc. but get your VEs set first. Check out https://www.hdforums.com/forum/exhau...r-dummies.html and http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...e-with-a-SEPST and keep reading the sticky. Do lots of homework.
I've had a lot of help, from several members of this forum, to get my bike running right. Hopefully they will be able to lend you a hand too.
Good Luck, and don't give up. Its worth the effort in the long run.

Thanks for the reply and info man! As much as I feel like this is sac-religious I decided to not even bother. I loaded the stage 1 map in the bike trailered it to; and dropped it off at the dealer today. They needed to fix a fuel sender recall anyways. Still a few weeks for weather nice enough to ride in my area. As far as the ECM tune goes I loaded the stage 1 into it from my SEPST and was planning on smart tuning and tweaking maps myself like discussed, but while at the dealer today I talked with the service manager about just having it dyno'd. Left my SEPST and the bike with them and I'll have my bike back next week dyno'd and ready to roll for $160. Worth it to me, no hassle and I'll have a print out of what power it makes to the tire. He said they'd have timing adjusted AFR's would be perfect and if I need any minor adjustments after riding it for awhile I can bring it back and they would take care of me. Plus if I want to make minor adjustments to the map they make for it, I can upload that from my tuner to my computer and tweak it a bit. As a DIY'er I feel like I have sinned lol. But I can't really argue with the price and convenience on this one.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:06 PM
stonecoldhd
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pauly
I don't believe you can upload the tuning file from the bike or VCI. Make sure you get a copy of the tuning file from the dealer if you want to make your own adjustments later.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:37 PM
heckfrozeover
Cruiser

The existing tuning file can be uploaded to a laptop from the SEPST with it hooked up to the bike. It will be the last file flashed to the bike by that SEPST.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:01 PM
paulycoppola5
6th Gear

Originally Posted by stonecoldhd
Pauly
I don't believe you can upload the tuning file from the bike or VCI. Make sure you get a copy of the tuning file from the dealer if you want to make your own adjustments later.
Originally Posted by heckfrozeover
The existing tuning file can be uploaded to a laptop from the SEPST with it hooked up to the bike. It will be the last file flashed to the bike by that SEPST.

Thanks for all the help gentleman. I picked the bike up yesterday. Dealer only charged me $92 for the tune, and they provided me with a dyno sheet. My 2013 Breakout with the mods listed in my sig made 72hp and 89lbs/tq with run conditions of 69 degrees Fahrenheit, 29.68 in-Hg, and humidity of 26%, SAE: 0.98. This was on a dynojet. I have to say I am a bit disappointed in the numbers. But the power curves are outstanding. The tq numbers start at just above 75lbs at 2000 rpms and steadily rise to the 89lbs peaking at about 3500 rpms. They then ever so slightly begin to fall off but never drops below 75lbs until I reach about 5200 rpms. The tq then obviously drops off sharply from there until it falls off completely at the 6200 rpm limit. The HP curve is also pretty decent from at about 2000 rpms it reads about 30hp and then sharply but steadily rises to a peak of 72hp at about 5200 rpms and then holds above 62hp until it drops off at 6200 rpms.

I have to say for $92 I am quite happy with the service I received. As long as I can recover this tune to make adjustments to if I choose to do so, I'd rate my experience at a 10 out of 10. I only rode the bike about 5 miles after picking it up but it seems to be running excellent. Only thing I noticed is some slight popping on decel's at certain points in the power band. But both of the plugs are a nearly perfect milk chocolate brown and the bike pulls excellent. I am so far very happy.

I haven't yet but plan on plugging my tuner and computer into the bike today to try to retrieve the tune that they made for me. I asked them if I could have a copy on a flash drive, in an email, or in some other form of storage in case I couldn't recover it from the tuner, but they told me they have no way of doing that and that I should have no issue recovering the tune they made and flashed for me from the tuner. I will attempt that this afternoon or evening when I get a chance. Anyone have a quick and easy explanation on how to recover that for me?

Last edited by paulycoppola5; 04-07-2015 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread