Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 11:12 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanicalman
I find that most of the timing maps are already pretty aggressive. I have large areas that I had to remove 11 or 12 * to keep it from pinging. As I said earlier these drops didn't seem to affect performance negatively and may have even improved it. I don't remember where but there is a youtube video showing a dyno tune being done. After it was completed they show what needs to be done if it pings, they dropped whole columns from 70 kpa to 100kpa 3 degrees and retested it and it increased the HP from where they had called it good.
With the crappy gas we get these days it seems that it's hard to keep it from pinging, and I often wonder how many are just ignoring it because they don't know better. You'll probably be hearing them singing the blues in a year or two when their pistons get holes in them or their valves come apart.
Overall I think it sucks because my 1988 FXRT never pinged even on 85 octane regular and it was as quick as my 2012 FLTRU.
Anyway here is the difference between where my pinging stopped and the original file, 044SDF004-01. Negative numbers are where I decreased timing
I've been advancing my timing tables about 4 degrees in every cell, riding and collecting data and letting MyTune adjust out the ping. Been repeating this process, almost done.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:29 PM
tumz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm extremely interested in buying this but MOCO keeps telling me I'd have to dyno tune. What I don't get is why should I dyno tune if I can use the smart tune/auto tune feature. (yes I realize an experienced person doing the dyno tune will be better than any smart tune.)
I just don't see the point in me spending 400 bucks to dyno tune it when I can do it myself.

Here's my dilemma, currently I have the old VH fuelpak attached. It was the cause of my issues and have since had it disconnected. It's still attached to the bike just unhooked. I have a stage 1 screamin eagle air filter and vance and hines straight shot slip ons. The last two weeks I've be driving with the fuelpak off, bike runs better albeit very very lean.

What should I do? My options (that moco told me) were stage 1 download, or dyno tune. I'm not exactly sold on either idea and would prefer to just junk the fuelpak get the pro tuner and do the work myself.

Opinions greatly appreciated.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:29 PM
tumz
Advanced

Edit: double post.

Last edited by tumz; 06-04-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: double post
Old 06-04-2014, 02:56 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by tumz
I'm extremely interested in buying this but MOCO keeps telling me I'd have to dyno tune. What I don't get is why should I dyno tune if I can use the smart tune/auto tune feature. (yes I realize an experienced person doing the dyno tune will be better than any smart tune.)
I just don't see the point in me spending 400 bucks to dyno tune it when I can do it myself.

Here's my dilemma, currently I have the old VH fuelpak attached. It was the cause of my issues and have since had it disconnected. It's still attached to the bike just unhooked. I have a stage 1 screamin eagle air filter and vance and hines straight shot slip ons. The last two weeks I've be driving with the fuelpak off, bike runs better albeit very very lean.

What should I do? My options (that moco told me) were stage 1 download, or dyno tune. I'm not exactly sold on either idea and would prefer to just junk the fuelpak get the pro tuner and do the work myself.

Opinions greatly appreciated.
if you brought your bike to a dealer a year ago (before street tuner came out), they would simply throw on a stage 1 download and send you on your way. So with that said and the MINIMAL upgrades you've done, get the SEPST and cables and do your own smart tunes. No need to pay a dyno guy for what you've done to the bike so far. Yes you're correct, a professional tune will be better than a street tune but keep this in mind too. Most HD techs don't have a clue how to properly tune a bike to begin with. So depending on how good your HD Dyno guy is, you might wind up with a better tune doing yourself anyways. Then in addition think about how much more you'll learn about your own ride doing it yourself. Just my .02

Old 06-04-2014, 03:04 PM
tumz
Advanced

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
if you brought your bike to a dealer a year ago (before street tuner came out), they would simply throw on a stage 1 download and send you on your way. So with that said and the MINIMAL upgrades you've done, get the SEPST and cables and do your own smart tunes. No need to pay a dyno guy for what you've done to the bike so far. Yes you're correct, a professional tune will be better than a street tune but keep this in mind too. Most HD techs don't have a clue how to properly tune a bike to begin with. So depending on how good your HD Dyno guy is, you might wind up with a better tune doing yourself anyways. Then in addition think about how much more you'll learn about your own ride doing it yourself. Just my .02
Exactly. See my thinking is this. If I dyno tune the bike with the tuner on it will be 100 percent or near it now. But then when I go to do the bolt on 1200/1250 conversion and all the other stuff I want in the future I basically would have to go do the dyno again. So I figure just buy the tuner, do my own runs and then when I'm ready to take the next step then I could go for the dyno tune.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:45 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You will get about 10% over stock out of a 2006+ BT if you put good pipes and air cleaner on and do nothing else at all. Same if you add some Xieds. Same if you add a SEPST and a canned map. Same if you add any tuner and get it dyno tuned.

It just doesn't matter that much.

Sure some options will run cooler and some will have a bit more pick up at low revs but they will all make 110 mph in about the same time and then start to run out of steam.

You just have to do more radical stuff than stage-1 to realise a difference.

If you compared a bike with a SEPST plus a canned map with a dyno tuned one I absolutely guarantee you would not be able to tell the difference. The canned maps are developed on a dyno anyway and with a bit of smart tuning to allow for minor variations you will have a map every bit as good as a custom dyno-tuned one.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:30 PM
tumz
Advanced

I think I'm basically sold on the idea.

Now second question. I'm at my 8000km service, should I get the tuner before the service or after. Will it make any difference.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tumz
I think I'm basically sold on the idea.

Now second question. I'm at my 8000km service, should I get the tuner before the service or after. Will it make any difference.
I'm struggling to think of a reason why it would make a difference either way.

If you are going to have it shop-fitted and the map loaded then maybe get it done with the service. Otherwise I'd go for it when it suits you.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:40 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had my own Screaming Eagle Pro Super Tuner from 2009-2010. It is black. The newer ones are called a Screaming Eagle Pro "Street" Tuner, and will not allow you to make radical changes to your EFI system.
The SEP "Street" Tuner will only allow EPA settings from my understanding. I wouldn't buy the newer "Street" Tuner. I'd opt for a TTS Master Tune. Essentially the same thing as the older "Super" Tuner.
That device will allow you to setup your bike how you like. The Street and Super Tuner do things under the hood that you cannot change. I would guess that the TTS does the same.
Also, these devices do not stay on the bike. It is a dongle like device that connects to the diag port of your motorcycle. After you update the ECM you disconnect the bike. The TTS Master Tune will allow you to save your factory settings. Which is a good thing.

I have had a Dyno tune from a dealer, they did it for free, and all they did was do the Super Tune process to a canned map. You can do this yourself, and save the money. The TTS Master Tune also has a smart tune feature just like the Harley "Street" and "Super" Tuners. Be sure you are getting what you think you are getting. There is a difference between the SEPST (Screaming Eagle Pro Street Tuner) and the SEPST (Screaming Eagle Pro Super Tuner).

A safe bet would be the TTS Master Tune since Harley wants to keep you in a tunnel by naming their products similar, but disabling functionality.

You can view some info about the Pro Super Tuner here:

Last edited by editbrain; 06-04-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:46 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Editbrain,
The moco makes 2 tuners now. The street compliant "street tuner" and the SE pro like before race tuner. The street tuner is every bit as good as the vigilant and FP3 currently making heads spin.
as you said the SEPST (SEpro) is like the TTS & PV, all flash tuners

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread