Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 07:44 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
I have Smart Tuned to get my VE tables within tolerances and adjusted my AFRs where I want them.
I see. By having disabled closed loop and the O2 sensors you have also disabled Adaptive Fuelling though. So the bike will no longer adjust for changes in conditions and fuel. The values you have in your AFR table won't be reflected in reality except for the exact conditions when you last used the O2 sensors i.e. when you did the Smart Tune.

You could have the best of both by having a closed-loop area between, say, 30 and 60kPa and from 1125 to 3000 rpm. You could tweak the CLB tables to mimic what you have in your current map.

This would give you the same resulting table as you already have and you'd re-enable adaptive fuelling so the bike would better cope with changing conditions and variations in fuel (E5, E10, gasoline, high octane...).

Old 06-01-2014, 03:36 AM
jty
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanicalman
Bad gas? I think it's all bad around here. It does it on all the brands I've tried. Pinging has been a problem since day one on this bike. I had to take out 12 degrees in some areas. All of the canned maps were way to aggressive. When I put in the 57h's I ended up copying and pasting the timing from my stage one map into the new file. I spent the entire summer of 2012 decreasing a couple of cells at a time to get rid of all the pinging and KR events on that stage one file. So a few of these is OK? It seems to happen mostly on the rear cylinder, and only a few per recording. It may get worse as the temperature hit 90+. It's been a cool spring here. I haven't found any place that I trust to dyno it but from the seat of the pants all the decreases in timing hasn't seemed to hurt performance or fuel mileage and may have even increased performance. Does that sound logical?
Make sure your plugs are properly connected inside the rubber boot. I chased these phantom events for ages and finally realised the connector inside the boot never connected properly. Symptom was that the knock events happened always with fast blips of throttle.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:56 AM
jty
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxster
I see. By having disabled closed loop and the O2 sensors you have also disabled Adaptive Fuelling though. So the bike will no longer adjust for changes in conditions and fuel. The values you have in your AFR table won't be reflected in reality except for the exact conditions when you last used the O2 sensors i.e. when you did the Smart Tune.

You could have the best of both by having a closed-loop area between, say, 30 and 60kPa and from 1125 to 3000 rpm. You could tweak the CLB tables to mimic what you have in your current map.

This would give you the same resulting table as you already have and you'd re-enable adaptive fuelling so the bike would better cope with changing conditions and variations in fuel (E5, E10, gasoline, high octane...).
So that everybody knows, there are hundreds and hundreds of flaming posts in other forums on closed vs open. Hope we are not startin that in this megathread.
Dyno tuners leave almost always bikes completely open loop as then it will stay as tuned and they can have their back. Gas quality will then affect afr/lambda but as they typically set afr around 13.5 it does not harm much anything (assuming they adjust spark also). This tune is for max perforformance and rideability.
Home tuners with SEPST typically set the cruising part of the map to closed loop (enforcing leanish mixture and not max performance) and the wot/high rpm part open loop with rich mixture optimising both performance and mileage. The challenge with this approach is that once part of the map is in closed loop, the adaptive fuel value (afv) may affect also the open loop areas, depending on the cal. How much this happens and where is not public information and never posted to internet afaik. Also afaik, the o2 sensors will not stay accurate forever and as such, are just another component that may break and ruin the engine.

Pick your poison.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:30 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm satisfied with my results. I'm working on developing a more aggressive timing table and then I plan to get it on a Dyno to see what I'm getting.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:10 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed. Running open loop when you could be running closed is stupid, and if you are running open loop in the cruising range because the AFR is too rich, then you are just throwing fuel away. But some people can't be taught, and so if they are happy with the results they are getting, then more power to them.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:40 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by peg20
Agreed. Running open loop when you could be running closed is stupid, and if you are running open loop in the cruising range because the AFR is too rich, then you are just throwing fuel away. But some people can't be taught, and so if they are happy with the results they are getting, then more power to them.
Why is it stupid? I have a very good map, the engine runs cool, no popping, and performs well. Mileage is about 42 - 43 but I ride it kinda hard.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:48 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why is it stupid? I have a very good map, the engine runs cool, no popping, and performs well. Mileage is about 42 - 43 but I ride it kinda hard.
As Foxster said; you won't be achieving the AFRs you tuned to because the conditions (fuel, temperature, altitude) won't be the same as when you tuned. If you had some closed loop in there, then the ECM would be able to account for these variables and get closed to the tune you wanted.

But if you're happy, do what you want. As far as I'm concerned, I'm only posting this stuff so that others are aware that there is some benefit in making use of the technology they have available to them, rather than just turning it off. If you don't want to do that, then fine. I won't lose sleep over it.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Sam D.
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam D.
Leaving today for a road trip to West Virginia... I read about 20 pages of this thread last night,,, started around pg.100 downloaded HarleyTuners AFR Table,, I already had your Guidline to Smart Tuning that I used with my Street Tuner... I'll just leave the Base Map alone till I get back...
Thanks
Well after logging 630 miles 2up thru Ohio, WV & KY over the weekend with just the 044AA0ooo3 base map(BTW I averaged 43.84 mph)

This morning I did 3 half hr Smart Tune runs and combined them to the Smart Tune VE tables and Updated the VE and saved the Map... Went to the AFR and adjusted it to resemble HarleyTuners table, (but left my Closed Loop area at 14.3 or .977),,, saved the map and re-flashed the ECM... Went out for a ride and I have my Torqie 103" back with this 2into1 pipe... no pop when upshifting, no decel popping, just a slight rumble around 1600-1800rpm... I can live with this...

I also noticed that I was able to get a hell of a lot more Cells registered during the Smart Tune runs than I was ever able to using my SE Street Performance Tuner,,, strange.

Last edited by Sam D.; 06-02-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:18 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by peg20
some people can't be taught?
stupid?

so because I don't necessarily agree (I don't disagree with you but certainly not in 100% agreement with you) with your thought process I'm stupid and can't be taught? That's quite the arrogant and impetuous statement to make IMO

how about this.. prior to 2006 when o2 sensors were introduced, where exactly do you think your bike was running closed loop? My point is open loop has it's time and place to be used.

there are thousands of people out there that run their bikes in open loop mode and just because they don't agree with your train of though on this doesn't mean they or their thought process is stupid or wrong.

I too don't want to see this turn into a BS thread about what's best.. Just understand that each has it's pros and cons and it's up to the owner of the bike, the build, and most importantly a qualified tuner if involved, to make that decision. I run closed loop because well that's where my favorite tuning device likes to be used.

To each his own.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 06-02-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:06 PM
mechanicalman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm satisfied with my results. I'm working on developing a more aggressive timing table and then I plan to get it on a Dyno to see what I'm getting.
I find that most of the timing maps are already pretty aggressive. I have large areas that I had to remove 11 or 12 * to keep it from pinging. As I said earlier these drops didn't seem to affect performance negatively and may have even improved it. I don't remember where but there is a youtube video showing a dyno tune being done. After it was completed they show what needs to be done if it pings, they dropped whole columns from 70 kpa to 100kpa 3 degrees and retested it and it increased the HP from where they had called it good.
With the crappy gas we get these days it seems that it's hard to keep it from pinging, and I often wonder how many are just ignoring it because they don't know better. You'll probably be hearing them singing the blues in a year or two when their pistons get holes in them or their valves come apart.
Overall I think it sucks because my 1988 FXRT never pinged even on 85 octane regular and it was as quick as my 2012 FLTRU.
Anyway here is the difference between where my pinging stopped and the original file, 044SDF004-01. Negative numbers are where I decreased timing

Attached Thumbnails SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread-timing-delta.jpg  

Last edited by mechanicalman; 06-02-2014 at 02:15 PM. Reason: add picture

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread