Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 12:07 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by Oz Nightrain
I couldn't upload the file, not too good with computers. So I took a photo of 1 section of the recording session. Hopefully this may help u see where Im at!!
I am a bit confused, maybe trying to follow too many posts at once.
you have '0' knock events as can be seen by the flatline.
what is the issue we are trying to help with.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:23 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
I am a bit confused, maybe trying to follow too many posts at once. you have '0' knock events as can be seen by the flatline. what is the issue we are trying to help with.
Sorry if im over complicating things. My question should have just been, is it possible to flash a canned map and have 0 knock events?

Old 05-10-2014, 12:35 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Sorry if im over complicating things. My question should have just been, is it possible to flash a canned map and have 0 knock events?
yes, canned maps are not advanced as far as they can be without knock due to many hardware combinations and gas available. That is why dyno tuning works best in this area, though many data logs repeated can get results. But you need to be careful and many will not do it or recommend against DIY spark advance.

dialing in the VE's is most important for DIY. many have then made AFR as rich as possible while maintaining closed loop with lambda tables.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:10 AM
jty
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Canuck explained, the canned spark maps are not aggressive and if you do not have retard events (which is typical) you are good to go. Some of us (with good gas available) will even try to optimize spark AFTER the VE's have been dialed in by carefully advancing a portion of the map 2-3 points at a time and tracking if the retard events kick in. And then rechecking the VE's after.
But then there is also the case of "ghost events" that are not really caused by too advanced spark but something else and retarding spark does not help (much). For me this was the case and reason was I was sloppy with connecting the cables to plugs.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:14 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

1 thing I forgot to mention was I increased clb to 780 mV which I believe is only 1 step from the limit of the sensors and I think thats around 14.4:1 afr in the closed loop areas. So now im thinking I should just be happy with having no knock events instead of trying to read into something that isnt there. Thanks, Matt.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:01 AM
michaeleclark
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default SE plugs and ion sensing

Oz:

From what I have read, knock detection via ion sensing ONLY is available with the stock plugs. SE plugs do not provide this info no matter what type of leads you use. I know- makes no sense since one would think that "upgraded" plugs would have more features rather than less, so go figure! Anyways, assuming this is true (suggest you research this a bit more), that would explain why you do not see any knock events when using these plugs.

Good luck.

Mike

Old 05-10-2014, 07:24 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

Ok thanks Mike. I might change back to the 6R12s for peace of mind more than anything else. Ive done data recordings with the stock plugs and leads as well as with SE stuff to see the difference and got the same results, 0 knock events with both set ups! Im now wondering if I should advance the timing just to see if i get some timing pulled back out and then put it back to where it is now? At least then i will know if my ion sensing is working properly

Old 05-10-2014, 10:03 AM
jty
Advanced

Originally Posted by michaeleclark
Oz:

From what I have read, knock detection via ion sensing ONLY is available with the stock plugs. SE plugs do not provide this info no matter what type of leads you use. I know- makes no sense since one would think that "upgraded" plugs would have more features rather than less, so go figure! Anyways, assuming this is true (suggest you research this a bit more), that would explain why you do not see any knock events when using these plugs.

Good luck.

Mike
This is not true. Knock sensing works with SE plugs as well

Old 05-10-2014, 10:06 AM
jty
Advanced

Ok thanks Mike. I might change back to the 6R12s for peace of mind more than anything else. Ive done data recordings with the stock plugs and leads as well as with SE stuff to see the difference and got the same results, 0 knock events with both set ups! Im now wondering if I should advance the timing just to see if i get some timing pulled back out and then put it back to where it is now? At least then i will know if my ion sensing is working properly
Oz, sound like your engine works perfectly with your current spark map. You are not hearing knocking/pinging, right? If it works, do not fix it!

Old 05-10-2014, 10:35 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

The bike seems to be running really well. I was only thinking of making a temporary change to test my ion sensing ability. Might not bother though!

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread