Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 04:17 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by victorsam
I have made about 15 ST runs, most with ST flash enabled, some with it disabled. I have consistent knock retard data in the 40 to 80 kPa for the rear cylinder of about 5 to 8 degrees 2k RPMs and up to 5k. Sometimes the data also shows retard the front cylinder but is limited to about 2 to 3 degrees, and the front does not trigger nearly as often as the rear.

My thoughts are that the rear cylinder needs more adjustment than the front so I assume I should adjust the timing and VE tables for the rear only as opposed to adjusting the AFR table which affects both cylinders?
what are your VEs doing during all these runs? Are the VEs front and rear changing at less than 5%? If so then you need to move onto timing and EGR

Old 04-29-2014, 04:26 PM
victorsam
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
what are your VEs doing during all these runs? Are the VEs front and rear changing at less than 5%? If so then you need to move onto timing and EGR
I have 3 and 4 cells (front and rear respective) that are at 5.5 to 7% difference. These are at 5, 7.3 and 10% throttle, 2000 to 3000 rpm. I am going to address those with a concentrated run in those areas before proceeding with the other. The retard is not occurring in this area so while the 7% is an issue, I do not think it is related. But I am open for opinion. All the other cells are within 3% between runs, a lot are 0 and 1.5 is pretty common

Most of my runs have been with slow throttle roll, up to 4500 to 5k rpm. I need to do some in town, slow stuff to get the lower end.

Last edited by victorsam; 04-29-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:30 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Im no expert. But to me, These VEs look pretty nasty. That msg came up on the rear cylinder and the closest to the max is 126.5 at 3000 rpm and only 20% TP. There some cells around it that are getting close, but it just doesn't seem right to me. There are some high numbers at 4000 WOT, that makes more sense to me. Its only the 6th data run, should I just keep doing more before looking into incorrect 02 readings?

Attached Thumbnails SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread-image-484060133.jpg   SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread-image-1519931669.jpg   SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread-image-3148752640.jpg   SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread-image-1283887090.jpg  
Old 04-29-2014, 11:34 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

Sorry first and last photo are both rear cylinder, I doubled up

Old 04-30-2014, 05:53 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a newbie to SEPRT. Can someone direct me how to do data logs and then review the logs ? Also if I want to lean my tune for better mileage after my dyno tune, can I adjust fuel injectors size to cheat a little on program options vs redoing complete VE tables ? I'm am running open loop .

Old 04-30-2014, 05:54 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

So if im understanding this correctly, and i increase cubes by 10% and decrease VE by 10% to effectively balance it out. Then smart tune again, wont that just bring the VEs back up, possibly close to where they already are. Am i on the right track or am I miles off?

Old 04-30-2014, 05:59 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by papifun
If I want to lean my tune for better mileage after my dyno tune, can I adjust fuel injectors size to cheat a little on program options vs redoing complete VE tables ? I'm am running open loop .
No no no. Once the bike has been (properly) tuned, then the VE tables will be set correctly to your bike set up. To adjust the Air-Fuel-Ratio, you adjust the entries in the AFR table. (Hence the name!) You shouldn't play with the values in the VE, CI or injector tables.

Why are you running open loop? If your target AFR can be achieved via closed loop, you will be better off using closed loop as it allows the system to adjust to differences in fuel, altitude and temperature which otherwise could mean that your tune drifts way off target.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:00 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Oz Nightrain
So if im understanding this correctly, and i increase cubes by 10% and decrease VE by 10% to effectively balance it out.
That's correct. The idea is to keep the behaviour of the system the same whilst giving some more headroom in the VE table.

Then smart tune again, wont that just bring the VEs back up, possibly close to where they already are. Am i on the right track or am I miles off?
Maybe, maybe not. The idea is to give some room for the VE entries to continue to rise if necessary. They will only move if the values (prior to scaling) were incorrect.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:55 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Im no expert. But to me, These VEs look pretty nasty. That msg came up on the rear cylinder and the closest to the max is 126.5 at 3000 rpm and only 20% TP. There some cells around it that are getting close, but it just doesn't seem right to me. There are some high numbers at 4000 WOT, that makes more sense to me. Its only the 6th data run, should I just keep doing more before looking into incorrect 02 readings?
those VEs look normal to me during initial tune runs. I've had them dial right in within 3 or 4 runs before, but some as many 15 or more runs before VEs were changing less than 5%. Once you get to that point then you move onto other tables. If you keep bouncing back and forth changing things during your runs on different tables, you'll never finish.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:37 AM
victorsam
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering what was meant by nasty. Not being an expert on this am I looking for a more smooth graph? Are these looking ok? I am just not wanting to not understand something here or miss something.

Attached Thumbnails SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread-screen-shot-2014-04-30-at-7.30.53-am.jpg   SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread-screen-shot-2014-04-30-at-7.30.21-am.jpg   SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread-screen-shot-2014-04-30-at-7.31.26-am.jpg   SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread-screen-shot-2014-04-30-at-7.32.02-am.jpg  

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread