Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 12:04 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by thevirginian
Holy Crap! I didn't want to start a shouting match over a simple question. Besides, I think I already took care of this problem yesterday. I did another recording run and di exactly, what Foxster (I believe) suggested. I accelerated in 2nd, 3rd and fourth gear really slow, stayed in multiple RPMs for five seconds, or more and decelerated the same way. Came home, downloaded the new file and re-flashed my bike. Then I test rode it and to my surprise- NO POPPING anymore. Worked great. the bike runs very good now. I don't know, if I need another recording run, or not. I will try to copy harleytuner's AFR table in my final recording and flash again. See what it will do, then. If I like it, even better. If not I always could go back to my last saved option. So far I am really happy.
no shouting match man.. just a few of these guys that know what they're doing trying to help you out. I agree with the statements above about letting the software and the smart-tune process do it's thing instead of manually finessing VE tables.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:11 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the latest software and help files and I couldn't find where it says you should do this for Smart Tuning, only when doing dyno runs and tuning. Whereabouts have you seen it? I'd be quite happy to be proven wrong, wouldn't be the first time .[/quote]
When I had my Fat Boy, I would sometimes disable knock controll in the basic set up, load the MAP with smart tune. When I looked a the downloaded map, I would see some instances of knock. Some were near 5. I would also do some smart tune runs with knock retard Enabled. when I would download and look at those maps, I would not see ANY instances of knock.
I was not super clear before, but yes, the new help menu says to Make sure that Knock Control is Enables for track runs. And i see where it says for dino to enable knock control to spot knock retart activity, and disable to tune for max power.
SOOO> my thinking is if it says to enable or disable, then I dont think it auto disables when smart tuning.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:18 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peg20
No, don't change your VE tables. They should only be changed while tuning via smart-tune or on a dyno. You should only change your AFR tables to affect AFR. If you are in closed-loop, the ECM will work around your incorrect VE values anyway:

http://harley.uk.net/doku.php?id=tec...front_rear_cyl

IME, adding or removing fuel to try and fix decel pop is pretty hit and miss. And I'm not about to start throwing fuel away just to change the sounds effects my bike makes. I found that advancing timing does a much better job in fixing this problem.
His AFR table most likely is in open loop in this section and thus the ECM won't start changing things back. For me, I don't touch my VEs and if needed, I richen the target AFR or increase timing to eliminate decal pop. To each his own.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:55 PM
thevirginian
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Perhaps with the latest version that was free to down load there is no "knock control" option to turn on or off. I just can't find anything that would allow me to do that. Unless I am blind in both eyes.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:34 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by peg20
No, don't change your VE tables. They should only be changed while tuning via smart-tune or on a dyno. You should only change your AFR tables to affect AFR. If you are in closed-loop, the ECM will work around your incorrect VE values anyway:

http://harley.uk.net/doku.php?id=tec...front_rear_cyl

IME, adding or removing fuel to try and fix decel pop is pretty hit and miss. And I'm not about to start throwing fuel away just to change the sounds effects my bike makes. I found that advancing timing does a much better job in fixing this problem.
Increasing the value in the VE tables in the 0 (zero) percent throttle position column above 1750 RPM's is an area that won't effect anything except deceleration. Oh and for the record, increasing the values in the VE table is NOT throwing fuel away, it's actually adding fuel. And I have been tuning bikes on the dyno for a lot of years and have used this method for a long time.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:12 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

PEG20 is incorrect in that he feels an ECM with 'self' adjust'. It does NOT do so enough to cover an exhaust change, but with no dyno nor experience keeps stating this.

I, myself, from the things I have actually seen in action, this is not the case at all.

I strongly beg to differ on this.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:59 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
PEG20 is incorrect in that he feels an ECM with 'self' adjust'. It does NOT do so enough to cover an exhaust change, but with no dyno nor experience keeps stating this.

I, myself, from the things I have actually seen in action, this is not the case at all.

Good point, I should also point out that the ECM will make NO adjustments to the VE tables in the areas of the MAP that are in open loop. I leave the Zero % TP column in Open loop.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:13 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
I should also point out that the ECM will make NO adjustments to the VE tables in the areas of the MAP that are in open loop. .
Well, sorta. This is just what Adaptive Fuel does though, it provides an extra (hidden) layer of tuning on top of the VE tables, both for closed and open loop.

So, yes, the VE tables aren't adjusted but the effect is the same.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk

Except that lots of people, including American Iron Magazine, do do this and it does work - kinda.

Sure, the tune aint great after, but then its not that great to start with on stock engines.

AIM did a series of articles where they swapped out air cleaners and pipes and dynoed the bike as they went. They showed that with zero ECU modification that the bike maintained a good-enough tune (i.e. it didn't drift off into the seriously lean as a carb bike would have) and very close to the max power of stage-1 was achieved.

Of course, it will run hot and you may well get some low speed surging but it wouldn't blow up either, any more than a stock bike with similar AFRs will.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:40 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm glad that someone is backing me up. There are plenty of people out there who manage to survive without a tuner having changed pipes. And plenty more who can see an effect from (eg) xieds which wouldn't work until the ecm can be made to adapt so far from its expected operating range.

I agree that there is a limit on how far you can push it. And that /some/ mods will be too much, but there are enough people with measurable results to show that this is far from true on many pipe changes

Having said that, I would always recommend going a smart-tune to bring your ve tables inline with your setup and "recenter" the ecm to avoid getting too close to the limits. And I think wurk would agree with me on this

But my point here is that the ve tables should be set to reflect the hardware and the afr table to get the richness you require. The ve table is not meant to be "played" with

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread