Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 09:27 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by thevirginian
I have another question for harleytuner: In posting 1105 you suggested to paud to try your AFR values you posted. Can I try the same values for my '08 HS, or would they only work for a touring model?
You could try my AFR table which is pretty good and has been tweaked over a long time.

Its got the idle revs out of closed loop to reduce temps and 4000 out too to give a earlier acceleration boost. Plus a few tweaks to beef things up a little in some spots.

Name:  AFR_zps6ca366d9.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  203.8 KB

Old 12-31-2013, 10:04 AM
thevirginian
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I read that you should turn off "knock control" when doing smart tuning. Where the heck is this option? I can't find anything that would lead me in the right direction.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:07 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

ECM tuning constants..

Old 12-31-2013, 10:08 AM
thevirginian
Tourer

Originally Posted by Foxster
You could try my AFR table which is pretty good and has been tweaked over a long time.

Its got the idle revs out of closed loop to reduce temps and 4000 out too to give a earlier acceleration boost. Plus a few tweaks to beef things up a little in some spots.

Thanks foxster. I will give it a shot, once my VE tables are finished.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:24 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior

I read that you should turn off "knock control" when doing smart tuning. Where the heck is this option? I can't find anything that would lead me in the right direction.
No need. Loading a map with Smart Tune enabled automatically turns off knock control. Only time you would need to do this yourself is if you are doing a tune on a dyno so that knock control doesn't retard the ignition and so screw up the power readings.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:35 AM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default umm

Originally Posted by Foxster
No need. Loading a map with Smart Tune enabled automatically turns off knock control. Only time you would need to do this yourself is if you are doing a tune on a dyno so that knock control doesn't retard the ignition and so screw up the power readings.
Foxster, I am no so sure about the automatic off for knock control. The newer version mentions a few times that the user should disable, and/or enable knock control in the tuning set up.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by paud
Foxster, I am no so sure about the automatic off for knock control. The newer version mentions a few times that the user should disable, and/or enable knock control in the tuning set up.
I am only going on what I have found myself. When looking at the data from a Smart Tune run I have found there are zero anti-knock events, I usually get at least a few in an hours data collection. I'd expect more because the AFR is set to the closed-loop value right across the AFR table and so its running pretty lean under load.

I would also have expected it to do this because its recording data about how the engine is doing during the run, you really wouldn't want that messed up with retarted timing happening all over the place.

I have the latest software and help files and I couldn't find where it says you should do this for Smart Tuning, only when doing dyno runs and tuning. Whereabouts have you seen it? I'd be quite happy to be proven wrong, wouldn't be the first time .

Old 01-02-2014, 07:03 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Thanks harleytuner. Which way would you recommend I should follow to get rid of the decel pop? And what numbers should I change first? In what column should I make changes?

Change your AFR tables to the ones I posted and increase the values in your VE tables at 1750 RPM's and above to get rid of decal pop. You can manually turn off knock control in the tuning constants tab.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:27 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
Change your AFR tables to the ones I posted and increase the values in your VE tables at 1750 RPM's and above to get rid of decal pop. You can manually turn off knock control in the tuning constants tab.
No, don't change your VE tables. They should only be changed while tuning via smart-tune or on a dyno. You should only change your AFR tables to affect AFR. If you are in closed-loop, the ECM will work around your incorrect VE values anyway:

http://harley.uk.net/doku.php?id=tec...front_rear_cyl

IME, adding or removing fuel to try and fix decel pop is pretty hit and miss. And I'm not about to start throwing fuel away just to change the sounds effects my bike makes. I found that advancing timing does a much better job in fixing this problem.

Last edited by peg20; 01-02-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:28 AM
thevirginian
Tourer

Originally Posted by peg20
No, don't change your VE tables. They should only be changed while tuning via smart-tune or on a dyno. You should only change your AFR tables to affect AFR. If you are in closed-loop, the ECM will work around your incorrect VE values anyway:

http://harley.uk.net/doku.php?id=tec...front_rear_cyl

IME, adding or removing fuel to try and fix decel pop is pretty hit and miss. And I'm not about to start throwing fuel away just to change the sounds effects my bike makes. I found that advancing timing does a much better job in fixing this problem.
Holy Crap! I didn't want to start a shouting match over a simple question. Besides, I think I already took care of this problem yesterday. I did another recording run and di exactly, what Foxster (I believe) suggested. I accelerated in 2nd, 3rd and fourth gear really slow, stayed in multiple RPMs for five seconds, or more and decelerated the same way. Came home, downloaded the new file and re-flashed my bike. Then I test rode it and to my surprise- NO POPPING anymore. Worked great. the bike runs very good now. I don't know, if I need another recording run, or not. I will try to copy harleytuner's AFR table in my final recording and flash again. See what it will do, then. If I like it, even better. If not I always could go back to my last saved option. So far I am really happy.

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread