Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 12:48 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kewlhog
Yardstick, the only time I make changes to the VE tables to tweak the cylinders individually is when running out of closed loop. When in open loop the system looks at all sensors up to the intake, you just don't have the exhaust feedback from Lambda or O2 sensors, however when the VE's are dialed in it's not a problem. I find that in some areas you need to come out of closed loop and bump the VE for the rear cylinder to try and get the temp down.
What am I missing here? Why mess with the VEs once you get them calibrated? If you have smart tuned them properly why not just tweak the AFR to get the same result?

Old 10-21-2013, 04:46 PM
kewlhog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
What am I missing here? Why mess with the VEs once you get them calibrated? If you have smart tuned them properly why not just tweak the AFR to get the same result?
Yardstick

Changing the AFR's will change the air fuel ratio for both cylinders, running open loop and bumping the VE for the rear cylinder, will richen up only the rear cylinder.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Kewlride. That wasn't me if you look at who posted it was jluvs. I totally understand what you are saying about taking it to open loop and then using ve to richen an individual cylinder.

Finally finishers with smart tune and now working the Afr/lamda table to balance power/economy. This bike is strong to 100mph. Haven't run it higher due to traffic concerns.

Has anyone worked a timing table for the 103 with stock cams? If so, you want to share?

Old 10-22-2013, 01:26 AM
Hwnturbo
Novice

Why is it that while running smart tune , the bike runs like crap in some areas?

Old 10-22-2013, 01:59 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by Hwnturbo
Why is it that while running smart tune , the bike runs like crap in some areas?
smart tune retards timing 4* and changes most of the map to stoich 14.6. loss of advance and loss of fuel in some areas may explain it

Old 10-22-2013, 03:26 AM
Hwnturbo
Novice

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
smart tune retards timing 4* and changes most of the map to stoich 14.6. loss of advance and loss of fuel in some areas may explain it
I would think it's the timing then, my AFR are 14.4 to 14.3, so it would be closed anyway, right ? I'm trying to smooth out cruzing , and there's like a bog between 2500 to 3000 rpm. I'm thinking I should manual input the VE for a smooth transition between the cells.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:45 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

I would think it's the timing then, my AFR are 14.4 to 14.3, so it would be closed anyway, right ? I'm trying to smooth out cruzing , and there's like a bog between 2500 to 3000 rpm. I'm thinking I should manual input the VE for a smooth transition between the cells.
closed goes down to 14.3 at least on mine. I remember that bog area. try increase VE F&R 2500-3000 20-60 map by 5%, then smooth it out, then do data runs. I find that there should not be a large difference between adjoining cells (as in spikes) on the 3D graph view for smooth transition. However just doing data runs gives spikes, go figure, so manual smoothing

Old 10-22-2013, 04:30 AM
Hwnturbo
Novice

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
closed goes down to 14.3 at least on mine. I remember that bog area. try increase VE F&R 2500-3000 20-60 map by 5%, then smooth it out, then do data runs. I find that there should not be a large difference between adjoining cells (as in spikes) on the 3D graph view for smooth transition. However just doing data runs gives spikes, go figure, so manual smoothing
Yes, mine are still in closed loop till 14.3 also. I'll try the manual input and try another test ride. Thanks !!!

Old 10-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

We'll no one piped up about a timing table for the stock engine so I worked my own. After smart tuning the ve tables and setting most of the lambda table equivalent to 13.8 except the cruise area (14.2-14.4) I added 4 degrees advance to most of the timing table. I then took it for a data run to check for any timing events and it's clear. I even lugged it to try and make a knock happen and nothing.

Result is it pulls hard throughout. Very responsive to throttle input. Now let's see how economy is.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:29 PM
kewlhog
Advanced

Yardstick is right, when you use Smart Tune you will be selecting and loading in the base cal that is the closest match to your build. From there this cal should only be used for data collection to build your VE tables, it should not be left in the bike once you are done collecting data. Use Smart Tune to build your VE tables and instead of trying to smooth out the difference between cells, try using the "Interpolate" feature within Smart Tune.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread