Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 03:29 PM
asa1199
Tourer
Veteran: Army
Received 116 Likes on 60 Posts
Default SEPST 32101-10 Video any good?

Is it worth buying?

Old 04-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Billyram
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by asa1199
Is it worth buying?
No.
Print out the instructions and put them in a folder. This is what you'll be using.
Billy

Old 04-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Smokey Gold
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
I would like to start a new HD Tuner information thread.

This is to be a thread for the exchange of information concerning the HD tuners. I would like to focus on the SESPT (SEPro) since it is the current generation product and limit discussion on the Street Tuner (SEStreet) since it only allows the dealer to upload street legal calibrations and does not permit DIY tuning.

I would prefer that this become a knowledge base for SEPST users and not a debate about what tuning product is better. Ideally posts would contain user tips, questions on using the tuner and various features, user experiences both successes and failures, etc. perhaps even some tutorial type stuff.

I have been tuning carbureted bikes since I was a teenager. So I have a grasp of the basics. But fast Forward to 2008 and my new EFI Fat Bob. I decided after some research that I wanted a tuner that would allow me to reprogram the ECM and not just an add on. So I purchased the SEPST, Cable Kit, and Software from Zannotti’s and got a great deal.

I soon realized that most of the discussion concerning tuning revolved around the VE tables. Before Smart Tune was added as a feature I would set my AFR table to 14.6 across the board and ride and record data. I would manually adjust the VE table to bring it closer in line with what I was observing from the recorded data. This seemed to be working well, and then I upgraded the Software and was able to Smart Tune. IMHO the bike runs great. Now I am tweaking the timing. My plan is to develop ignition timing tables based on a high degree of advance and compare them on a dyno to the base tables.

Anyone care to share?
Does anyone know if the SE Pro Super tuner can be used on multiple bikes. I have the 32109-08 and want to use it in my 2007 and 2009 XLC1200 if possible. If it can be used are there any prerequisits like re-initializing or anything else that will enable it to work on both bikes. Thanks for any info you can give to me, Smokey Gold

Last edited by Smokey Gold; 04-09-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: spelling of any ln last sentence
Old 04-06-2013, 04:49 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokey Gold
Does anyone know if the SE Pro Super tuner can be used on multiple bikes. I have the 32109-08 and want to use it in my 2007 and 2009 XLC1200 if possible. If it can be used are there any prerequisits like re-initializing or anything else that will enable it to work on both bikes. Thanks for ant info you can give to me, Smokey Gold
No, it won't work unfortunately. The first time you install it it 'weds' itself to that bike and will then only ever work with that one bike.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:12 AM
tgshoe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by kelsonhoff
Ok, since Mverzola and I have been debating this point for some time, and he knows how I hate to admit he is right, which I may have to do here, to keep things very simple for my wine addled brain- If on a lambda based calibration (2012 Touring Bike with latest software) you change the fuel setting from gas to 10% ethanol, essentially it means nothing. As long as you are in closed loop the system will handle it regardless of the fuel. If you want to richen up the mixture, changing to ethanol setting is NOT the way to do it.
Correct?
I will try and explain this for you one more time. Page 19 of Super Tuner user manual explains that closed loop bias tables are NOT used for Lambda maps. Page 53 explains that closed loop bias adjustment for Lambda maps is made directly in the AFR table. Page 58, and here is the big answer, explains that "Lambda indicates rich or lean calculated as a ratio of actual AFR divided by Stoichiometric AFR." 14.6 divided by 14.6 equals 1. Stoichiometric for 10% ethanol, according to the Super tuner software help file under "Advanced Tuning Tables- Additional Information" is 14.3:1. I realize the actual value is closer to 14.08:1, see Texas A&M website about Stoichiometric values. Here is the difficult math part, 14.3 divided by 14.3 is what? That is correct 1. As I said a Lambda of 1 is a representation of a desired value and not a literal mixture. This is why when you select 10% ethanol the Lambda value does not change. This setting is to assist you in what used to be done in the "Closed Loop Bias Table". The calculations being accomplished by the software does change. For those who would like the equation for combustion it is CH4+O2=CO2+H2O. Part of this information is in the Super Tuner user manual which is a PDF file that comes with the software and some is in the help file within the software itself.
In summary before you admit defeat in your bet, seek out advice from real professionals and not "Professionals". After all the tuner at your local Harley shop calls himself a Professional as well. I am not a Professional motorcycle tuner but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Where I read the manual for the software that I have used multiple times with great success. For those of you who whined that people were "guessing" you should pay me for looking up info you could spend time and find for yourself instead of paying the "best tuner in North America" to not understand what Lambda is.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:00 AM
jonathanlyford
Intermediate

I have 2003 SE EFI race tuner part number 32107-01A and it seems as if all the software on the original disc does not work with new computers. Can i just get new soft ware disc and use the tuner still ? or do I need a new tuner?

Old 04-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathanlyford
I have 2003 SE EFI race tuner part number 32107-01A and it seems as if all the software on the original disc does not work with new computers. Can i just get new soft ware disc and use the tuner still ? or do I need a new tuner?
You have the old SERT tuner. It is now the TTS. They don't support it anymore but if you can find someone that has version 4.77 it will work. You can also try running the SERT qualifier http://www.mastertune.net/sert.htm to see if it can be upgraded.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:27 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tgshoe
In summary before you admit defeat in your bet, seek out advice from real professionals and not "Professionals". After all the tuner at your local Harley shop calls himself a Professional as well. I am not a Professional motorcycle tuner but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Where I read the manual for the software that I have used multiple times with great success. For those of you who whined that people were "guessing" you should pay me for looking up info you could spend time and find for yourself instead of paying the "best tuner in North America" to not understand what Lambda is.
So, how do YOU define a professional at tuning? You have some kind of issue with Lonewolf? Do YOU realize that there ARE folks that understand things quite well. Maybe even MORE than yourself!

There ARE two kinds of tuners. Those that work at Dealers, etc and make wages. Then there are those that invested like $30k to start out! Lots more money after that, I assure you. Lonewolf is of the second variety, and I take HUGE exception to your mislableing him as a punk no nothing tuner. Me? I ALSO have invested in a dyno and a small shop. Pretty much R&D work for a cam designer right now. Ummm.. I may NOT know tuning 100% like some pros, but tell you what, I KNOW how an ECM functions quite well.

How many bikes have YOU tuned again?

PS... it DOES appear you DO have a good handle on some of this. Especially the part that at lambda1, it IS a representation and will NOT be the actual value out of the pipe.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 04-08-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:11 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

OK, I'm going to start this with the admission that I am in the deep end of the pool and I'm dog paddling, at best. I have a 2011 Road King that has SEPST, D&D Fatcat and SE intake. It was all installed and dyno tuned at the dealer I purchased the bike from. According to the the dyno sheet, the bike made

Stock
HP 62.61
TQ 77.87

After Tuning (work was done at 6956 miles)
HP 77.40
TQ 89.40

According to the chart I got, the AFR is in the 13s. It's hard to tell exactly, my eyes are getting old. But suffice to say, it's clearly below 14. After I got the bike back I noticed I wasn't able to put the bike into ETIMS. I thought it was a little weird but didn't really think much about it. The bike did and does run great. I like the power, throttle response, well everything really. It does have a slight off throttle burble on decel and occasionally will pop between shifts, especially when the air is cooler in the morning. I checked for exhaust leaks and couldn't find any. (used incense sticks)

I'm getting near 50 mpg sometimes and my thought is nothing comes for free. If the mixture is indeed in the 13s; how am I getting such good mileage? Granted, I'm putting around with my wife in tow on her Sportster most of the time and I weigh 160 all up; but fuel mileage that good?

I remember one time after I had the work done that we got stuck on the highway in a traffic jam. The bike went into ETIMS on its own, several times because we weren't moving and it was hot, hot. So my long winded question is:

Is it possible that my bike went back to a stock AFR because ETIMS was engaged?

Can I buy the cable, software and CD to just look at the AFRs?

I know this is kinda buried here but I felt this was the best place to ask as opposed to starting another thread.

Thanks

Old 04-10-2013, 04:53 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax

Is it possible that my bike went back to a stock AFR because ETIMS was engaged?

Can I buy the cable, software and CD to just look at the AFRs?
There is just the one setting for EITMS in the ECU, its either on or off. If you have had it kick in at all then I'd say it is on, otherwise it would never operate.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying EITMS doesn't operate as much as before? If so, then that is as it should be if it has been tuned away from the stock AFRs; the engine will be running significantly cooler now, that's an effect of a richer tune.

You can buy the cable and software (assuming you have the SEPST and it wasn't left at the dealers) and look at all the settings and what the AFRs are set to.

If the bike is running good and you are getting good MPG then why worry? Chances are you aren't a rider that thrashes around at the redline all the time and so aren't seeing heavy fuel consumption.

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread