Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 02:07 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

without a doubt

Old 11-21-2012, 08:57 AM
jty
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grillfish
Good to see you on this thread, Stroker. Everyone will benefit from your expertise and appreciate you sharing your weath of knowledge.
+1 extremely valuable! I don't think the details of the afr table has been discussed before.

Here's another one: How should the 20 and 30 kpa columns look like in general?
Low rpm is idle and with my hot 120R I have set it to sightly richer, 13.8 @ 1000 to slow down the heat buildup in stop and go traffic.
But how about the high rpm in detail? High rpm and no load, eg, slowing down with throttle closed, right? This area is prone to decel pop as you said, so should it be lean or rich at what rpm? Or just richen it all the way just on 20? How does this work out with the Ve tables, is low kpa here always throttle closed and therefore the lower left cells map about directly to the lower left ve table cells? Or am I just too pedantic as the cells are hit so rarely?

Last edited by jty; 11-21-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:35 AM
strokerjlk
Cruiser

This is my Afr for my 120r
I did the same 13.8 at idle.
20 -30 kpa MOST times is decel.
Some really efficient light bikes will see 30 kpa at cruise.
Mine dosent. And most don't . So you can address decel in the 20- 30 kpa areas. 9-10 times you will add fuel to eliminate decel pop. Adding timing to decel. Helps also. But you need to data log extensive , to make DARN sure your not increasing timing in any area of light cruise .
The 14.2 in the 30 kpa area on my example , is to have a nice crisp ..... Hang on ....throttle blip.

Name:  dynosheets043-1.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  79.4 KB

Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by strokerjlk
Adding timing to decel. Helps also. But you need to data log extensive , to make DARN sure your not increasing timing in any area of light cruise .
Can you elaborate on adding timing at light cruise? I've been adding timing across the board and then removing a couple of degrees where knock is detected so I probably have added some timing in this area.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:19 PM
strokerjlk
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
Can you elaborate on adding timing at light cruise? I've been adding timing across the board and then removing a couple of degrees where knock is detected so I probably have added some timing in this area.
mainly 30-40 kpa. is the danger zone. a light bike making good hp will run in the 30 -40 kpa areas, at times. depending on the cal you are using the stock cal could be as much as 45 deg.in that area. if the motor has detonation and you dont hear it, it is just sitting there banging away on the top of the piston like a little ball peen hammer.
the areas in red if you are running a lot of timing there make sure your bike isnt under load there. only decel.
the areas in green are light cruise. and too much timing IMO. I wouldnt run over 35 deg there ever. the reason being you run a chance of detonation obviously,but also this is where your knock retard has a strong chance of becoming active. once you start detecting knock it starts to pull timing everywhere.
thats one reason I dont suggest adding timing across the whole table and then logging data to detect knock. once it starts it becomes active in other areas that it never would have, had it not started somewhere else. now your pulling timing out of the cal. you didnt need to.
so add your timing to one area at a time or a group like 50-60 kpa 2000-2500 rpms. then data log that area.

Name:  dynosheets190.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  100.7 KB

Old 11-22-2012, 02:15 AM
jty
Advanced
Default Spark

mainly 30-40 kpa. is the danger zone. a light bike making good hp will run in the 30 -40 kpa areas, at times. depending on the cal you are using the stock cal could be as much as 45 deg.in that area. if the motor has detonation and you dont hear it, it is just sitting there banging away on the top of the piston like a little ball peen hammer.
the areas in red if you are running a lot of timing there make sure your bike isnt under load there. only decel.
the areas in green are light cruise. and too much timing IMO. I wouldnt run over 35 deg there ever. the reason being you run a chance of detonation obviously,but also this is where your knock retard has a strong chance of becoming active. once you start detecting knock it starts to pull timing everywhere.
thats one reason I dont suggest adding timing across the whole table and then logging data to detect knock. once it starts it becomes active in other areas that it never would have, had it not started somewhere else. now your pulling timing out of the cal. you didnt need to.
so add your timing to one area at a time or a group like 50-60 kpa 2000-2500 rpms. then data log that area.

Stroker while we are at it, I'd love to see your 120R spark maps. I've been fighting with mine by using the SEPST data logging feature, but it seems that the knock sensor still fires up still every now and then around 60-80kpa/2500-4000rpm. What puzzles me is that if I get, say, 100 datalog events hitting a certain cell, there may be 5 events with knock sensor pulling timing. As the SEPST logs is very coarse (only 2 events/second) it is impossible to tell what the actual event was causing the pull so I just assumed it was blipping throttle when downshifting and called it good. But I'd love to compare my spark tables with yours as I believe mine are rather conservative after all tests.
Here mine (2008 FLHRC):
Name:  spark-120R-jty-59.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  130.0 KB

Old 11-23-2012, 07:23 AM
strokerjlk
Cruiser

actually mine are pretty conservative. at cruise. I can run 87 oct from just about any back woods gas station in the country.
Name:  dynosheets042.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  87.3 KB

Old 11-24-2012, 08:45 AM
jty
Advanced

actually mine are pretty conservative. at cruise. I can run 87 oct from just about any back woods gas station in the country.
Thanks for sharing. I see that you have a 4-5 deg bump in advance at 95-100 kpa over 80 kpa, mind me asking why is this?

Old 11-26-2012, 02:49 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

So if I am to understand, detonation could be a problem only in a particular cell but that could be causing knock or knock detection in adjacent cells. Pulling timing from the cells where I see knock detection could pull timing from cells that aren't really a problem.

Am I close?

Old 11-26-2012, 03:57 PM
jty
Advanced

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
So if I am to understand, detonation could be a problem only in a particular cell but that could be causing knock or knock detection in adjacent cells. Pulling timing from the cells where I see knock detection could pull timing from cells that aren't really a problem.

Am I close?
I am interested in the answer too, but meanwhile, looking into logs and trying to figure out what (cell) caused the knock event is major guesswork as the SEPST sampling rate is 500ms - thus on 2500 rpm the engine turns 20 rotations between samples, and typically during that time both Map and rpm may have moved 2-3 cells. Additionally, there is no information available on how slow/fast the retard kicks in so the cause can be for example anywhere between 50-70 Map and 2500-3500 rpm.

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread