Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 09:02 AM
Guzz
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by paud
It would be interesting to see Guzz's spark tables - canned vs. dyno'd
Yeah, they just used the canned spark tables. Is supposed to be in the 50's here today in Iowa. Maybe will get a chance to try a few changes.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Guzz
Tourer

I did have a chance to play around with the AFR table this morning and take a couple of short spins. This one was created using one from Harleytuner as a starting point. It did reduce the ping noticably, but still a bit there. Did not notice any other affects, but only went on a short spin.

Name:  MYAFRbasedoffofHarleytuner.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  130.4 KB

On this table, I used recommendations from Strokerjlk as a starting point. This time I did not notice any pinging at all. I will be doing some more riding this afternoon to test it further.

Name:  MYAFRbasedoffofStrokerjlk.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  119.5 KB

I do have a couple of questions. What do the areas blocked out in RED mean.

Also, on the first table, I was unable to change the first cell blocked out in RED, any idea why?

Lastly, back in the days of carbeurators, my philosophy was always to lean it as much as possible, then back off a tad for best results. I get the opinion that a lot of people here in the forum believe that richer is always better. Given that a bike has no issues in a particular range either at 14.6 or 14.0, which would you go with? I understand from a mileage perspective, the leaner would produce better results. What about from a performance persepective?

Thanks for all of your help.

Last edited by Guzz; 11-18-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:51 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OOOPS. i see them now.
When I had my bike dyno tuned, the difference in spark tables was very obvious when compared the stock map one would start with with my bike in SEPro

Old 11-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzz
Lastly, back in the days of carbeurators, my philosophy was always to lean it as much as possible, then back off a tad for best results. I get the opinion that a lot of people here in the forum believe that richer is always better. Given that a bike has no issues in a particular range either at 14.6 or 14.0, which would you go with? I understand from a mileage perspective, the leaner would produce better results. What about from a performance persepective?
I'd say it's a personal preference.

Best power is generated somewhere between 12.5:1 and 13.5:1. You can see these kinds of AFR outside the closed loop areas on all Harley maps. Reason you don't see these in the closed loop areas is because these are the cruising revs/throttle areas and you don't need the performance here and so you can afford to run a bit leaner, typically around 14.2:1 to 14.6:1.

However, there is also temperature to consider. My stock Fat Bob fried my thighs around town in the summer. Dropping the closed loop from 14.6:1 to about 14.2:1 fixed this.

If you want to throw fuel at it and get absolute best performance at all times then you could take everything out of closed loop and set the AFR to 13.5:1 here and even richer when under load. It would really knobble the MPG though.

If you want a frugal bike then leave the closed loop at 14.6:1 and the Closed Loop Bias as stock. Also tweak the open loop areas a little higher.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Guzz
Tourer

Got to take it for about 100 mile spin today using the table below. Never heard a ping, even pulling up a hill in 6th at 60mph. Also, decel popping was all but gone (one or two pops all day). As far as seat-of-the-pants, felt the same performace-wise as it did before I messed with it. Pipes are black, but dry, as compared to pure white before. Am thinking it could be leaner in some areas, now just to determine where.

Name:  MYAFRbasedoffofStrokerjlk.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  119.5 KB

Old 11-18-2012, 08:17 PM
strokerjlk
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want to try it a little leaner? ease those 13.7 's up to 14.0 in the 50 -60 kpa area up to 3500 rpms to match the other 14.0's. not knowing if your ve's are spot on ? I would tend to error on the side of rich.
then
take your 20 kpa area to 13.2 from 750 rpms all they way down to 6000 rpms. this should take care of your decel. it could have a little in 30 kpa area also but just do the 20 kpa to start.
the red 13.2's mean the table is maxed out at that AFR.in that area.
sounds like it is coming around nice.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Guzz
Tourer

What is considered the "cruising range" in the AFR table?

Old 11-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd say up to 80 kPa and up to 4000 rpm. Personally though I take it up to 3500 rpm and 70 kPA to get a boost a little earlier on.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:13 PM
strokerjlk
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your ultra . Right there where you have those 13.7's
50-60 kpa 2250 to 3500 rpms.
Loaded down two up up will see it pull up into 6O- 65 kpa at times . On grades and stuff. Or if there is a strong headwind. Mostly 50-60 kpa is where your gonna sit at cruise. Could even be 40- 50 kpa at real light cruise.
The more efficient the motor is the less kpa will be.
It only takes 15-20 hp to pull you down the road at 55-65 mph.
So the more efficient the motor the less load it will see. Given weight stays the same.
You could do some data logging and see exactly.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by strokerjlk
Your ultra . Right there where you have those 13.7's
50-60 kpa 2250 to 3500 rpms.
Loaded down two up up will see it pull up into 6O- 65 kpa at times . On grades and stuff. Or if there is a strong headwind. Mostly 50-60 kpa is where your gonna sit at cruise. Could even be 40- 50 kpa at real light cruise.
The more efficient the motor is the less kpa will be.
It only takes 15-20 hp to pull you down the road at 55-65 mph.
So the more efficient the motor the less load it will see. Given weight stays the same.
You could do some data logging and see exactly.
Good to see you on this thread, Stroker. Everyone will benefit from your expertise and appreciate you sharing your weath of knowledge.

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread