Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:58 AM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed the new. It overwrote the old. Since then I have used it a few times and no difference. All my files stayed the same and nothing I saved was erased or changed.
I believe a laptop will record for a much longer period of time than the VCI. The VCI has a limited amount of info it can hold.
I think the LIVE is to be used with a dyno. I think it would give the tech a better and quicker feedback as the bike is in/on the dyno.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:06 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Foxster, not trying to hijack your thread, just passing on good information here. There are changes to the software. The clunky interface is still the same ole clunky interface. Just ridiculous to me why HD doesn't change this interface so that it doesn't require a minimal 1024x768 resolution to be able to see the full screens and then provides no scroll bars. stupid!

anyway, back to the changes. With 32111-13 they've added a couple of significant features.

1.) Interpolation feature that will calculate (with the help of the ECM) and auto fill surrounding cells where not enough data was captured during a smart tune run.
2.) Smart Tune Live - Allows you to connect a screen to be able to see the cells you're hitting while doing a smart tune run so this feature is NOT just for dynos and in my opinion worth the $39 by itself. It makes a huge difference in being able to see what you're doing while you're doing it vs guessing and hoping that you hit the cells you needed to hit during your 1 hour smart tune run.

Yes the VCI will record data but usually 1 hour tops. Your laptop (provided you have the storage space) will record to eternity.

Originally Posted by Foxster
No difference whatsoever. Only change is you'll get the maps for the 2013 bikes.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 10-30-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 AM
WIHD55
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The smart tune live feature is a huge change. I have used it and it cut time by 2/3 to fill in the VE tables.

That alone was worth the update.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:04 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by WIHD55
The smart tune live feature is a huge change. I have used it and it cut time by 2/3 to fill in the VE tables.

That alone was worth the update.
without a dyno? what did you use for a monitor while riding down the road? I can see the laptop in the bag but not on the handlebar.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:08 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

actually I was using (until last week) a 9" monitor plugged into the laptop and mounted to mirror mount on the left handlebar.

Last week I bought a CL900 windows 7 tablet that is 9.7" and mounted it the same way. Only difference is, now I can tune on the road, stop and reflash ECM, go tune more, stop and flash, etc without having to return to the garage and getting sidetracked

Old 10-31-2012, 12:34 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

So, anyone using this with Windows 8?

Old 10-31-2012, 03:25 PM
WIHD55
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I almost bought Ultranutz's monitor. Some you can do sitting in the garage. Actually got a nice range of idle, etc.

Then she popped on the bike, put her arms around me, held the small laptop in front of me and we rode. Looked funny, but it worked!

We live rural and have empty roads to ride on.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:18 PM
LiveToCruise
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my pre-owned Ultra Classic, I inherited a Screamin Eagle Pro Super Tuner device (SEPST). I like to play around with computers and don't like to pay out $250 to $350. for a Dyno tune up. So I bought the cables and Software ($100).

Oh by the way don't buy a used SEPST as Harley has the tuner marry to only 1 bike and it will not work on others.

I liked the way the bike was preforming but I needed to get rid of the engine ping or knock. Also known as detonation. That's really bad to have occurring as it will eventually hammer the crap out of your cylinder walls and pistons. And the other thing was when idling at a red light the gas fumes were heavy, my wife was gettingasphyxiated at the back. Our clothes smelled strong of gas fumes when we'd get home.

So I read that increasing fuel in Accel Enrichment will get rid of the ping. I increased the fuel by 2 clicks. The ping was almost entirely gone. But Wow a good increase in get up and go. And also decreased fuel at 750 to 1100 RPM by 2 clicks, at temps 64 to 128, covering idle speed. Exhaust smell greatly decreased.

I just created another program with another 2 clicks in both areas but haven't loaded it yet. I've also logged about 1 hr of data on the road but I think I might not bother to load it with the Smart Tune feature because I'm happy with how my Ride is running right now.

You should save each change saved as different file in case you don't like it, then you can always upload the previous one saved. Write done what you've done too.

1550 Stage 2, 203 Cams, 25 degree injectors, Supertrapp exhaust.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:40 AM
Guzz
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
Overview of the SE ST Pro

I watched the YouTube video from KMSperformance and found it very educational. I do have a question. In the steps as outlined below, I am confused about step 2. Where do you set the target AFR, and what should it be set too?
  1. Retrieve current EFI file
  2. Review and set target AFR
  3. Record Data
  4. Generate proposal
  5. Update Map
  6. Save
  7. Flash
  8. Repeat until satisfied

Old 11-17-2012, 02:57 AM
Guzz
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
I would hope the dyno did better. If you have the dyno map in the VCI then download to your computer, save it where you can find it. then go ahead and try smart tune, play with it etc. Ifyou then do not like the results you can then re load the dyno map you saved.
Been reading this thread for hours (long read) Here is what I am thinking at this point.

2012 Utra, SE a/c, V&H Slip-ons, SEPST. I had my dealer put it a SE255 and install catless headpipe @ 5000 miles and then dyno-tune it. I am experiencing decel pop and pinging. Pinging is taking place from 2000-3000 RPM under even the slightest load, both in 5th and 6th, and even sometimes in 4th. When I told service manager about it he kinda shrugged like "oh well, they do that".

I purchased the cables and software, and have gone through most of the training CD. I am computer literate and have mechanical knowledge from back in the day, before EFI.

From what I have read, my understanding is that the Smart-Tune feature mostly fine tunes the VE tables, and then I can adjust the AFR tables to my liking.

Assuming that the HD tech who dyno-tuned it did a better job than I could with the VE tables, would it be appropriate for me to leave them as is and attempt to modify the AFR tables (and possibly timing tables) to get rid of the decel popping and perhaps even the ping?

I have already saved the dealers tune file, so could always revert back to it.

Last edited by Guzz; 11-17-2012 at 03:10 AM.

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread