Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Was this ever completed?

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
I have started on a discussion of the Process of Smart Tuning.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:20 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baggerben
hi guys. i have a ping and believe its in the tune,my bike runs hotter then i believe it should too. any one know of a real good tuner near me? s.e pa? i have found one on this site - jd's cycle but they haven't returned a call from last week. I also think they don't or cant use the sert?
i had my bike tuned 2x and it still pings 15k miles later. Plus my dealer closed and the next closest one just uses canned maps.

2010 ultra limited,no cat-stock head pipe,cvo mufflers with fullsac baffles,andrews 54h cams and harley intake/k&n air cleaner.

Any help would be great.

Thanks-Ben
PM Harleytuner / call Roeders. They are in OH, but might be able to point you in the right direction if you do not want to take a nice ride west He's helped many folks here.

http://www.roederracing.com/DynoTuning.html

Old 09-13-2012, 03:24 PM
user 82973220
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Any other closer? The closest one i have found so far is 4 hours away-Which isn't too bad.Roeder is about 8 hrs or so away.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:13 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Unhappy Perplexed.

Something has me scratching my head...
I have done numerous run recording without "knock" engaged as directions say.
Recently I did another run, used the recording to change VE, saved, and re-loaded the new file to ECM. I then recorded a long regular run and noted where excess knock occurred. Excess knock occurred in the 90 map range and anywhere from 2000, to 4000 rpm. In those areas I also noted some new VE numbers after doing some tuning runs. So...what would come first: Raise the VE in those area's? Raise the AFR? Decreas the timing?

AND, another one. , so far I cant seem to dial in a smooth run for 6th gear from 2500 rpm up to 3400 rpm. Not much pick up in that area. The catch is, right after I bought the bike and right after the dealer tuned it, it was super smooth in this area. I have on occasion lugged the bike but it does not feel like that. In that area my AFR is either 13.1 or 13.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:11 PM
shakyb eg
Intermediate

I have an 06 eg ultra bone stock. I am looking to buy the sepro tuner. My question is do I have 02 sensors and if not am i buying the right tool for tuning my bike? I plan on ugrading the ac and pipes but from what I'm reading in this thread i would still benefit from buying the turner and doing smart tune no matter what options the bike does or doesnt have. I know alot of people are buying the parts first. but cann i benefit from the tuner till I upgrade the bike?

Old 09-17-2012, 07:28 PM
RA51
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shakyb eg
I have an 06 eg ultra bone stock. I am looking to buy the sepro tuner. My question is do I have 02 sensors and if not am i buying the right tool for tuning my bike? I plan on ugrading the ac and pipes but from what I'm reading in this thread i would still benefit from buying the turner and doing smart tune no matter what options the bike does or doesnt have. I know alot of people are buying the parts first. but cann i benefit from the tuner till I upgrade the bike?
You have no 02 sensors, so you can not smart tune. Your bike runs a open loop map. I would see what shops can tune in the area an use the tuner they know. But talk to others in your area an see which shop can actually tune. SESPT will work but you will need a dyno tune.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:55 PM
shakyb eg
Intermediate

[QUOTE=RA51;10343550]You have no 02 sensors, so you can not smart tune. Your bike runs a open loop map. I would see what shops can tune in the area an use the tuner they know. But talk to others in your area an see which shop can actually tune. SESPT will work but you will need a dyno tune.[/QUOTE
So can I just go and get a dyno without the sespt or do I need it to flash the ecu or can it be done without

Old 09-17-2012, 08:40 PM
RA51
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To dyno you will need the SESPT or some type programable tuner. Harley can do a stage 1 download without dyno tune.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:45 PM
shakyb eg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RA51
To dyno you will need the SESPT or some type programable tuner. Harley can do a stage 1 download without dyno tune.
But that would be epa legal meaning slow and hot motor temps correct

Old 09-18-2012, 06:37 AM
jty
Advanced

Originally Posted by paud
Something has me scratching my head...
I have done numerous run recording without "knock" engaged as directions say.
Recently I did another run, used the recording to change VE, saved, and re-loaded the new file to ECM. I then recorded a long regular run and noted where excess knock occurred. Excess knock occurred in the 90 map range and anywhere from 2000, to 4000 rpm. In those areas I also noted some new VE numbers after doing some tuning runs. So...what would come first: Raise the VE in those area's? Raise the AFR? Decreas the timing?

AND, another one. , so far I cant seem to dial in a smooth run for 6th gear from 2500 rpm up to 3400 rpm. Not much pick up in that area. The catch is, right after I bought the bike and right after the dealer tuned it, it was super smooth in this area. I have on occasion lugged the bike but it does not feel like that. In that area my AFR is either 13.1 or 13.
Knock, my fav subject...
What's your AFR there? Should be pretty rich, I think I have 12.5 or 12.8 or something. Remember also that smart tuning does not work over 80 map range - VE should be pretty much the same around 80-90-100.
So, make sure you are not running lean there.
Also, look into the knock retard events in the graphical log, do they occur on constant map load and steadily increasing rpm or do they happen when you decelerate quickly or switch gears? If you see that with certain map load and rpm range you always get knock events (with full 8 degs retard), try pulling back timing 3 degs at that map/rpm and iterate until you only get few occasional retard events.

I have tried several methods in removing all knock events but seems that at least for my 120R, I can not get rid of them completely

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread