Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by skip3406
Is there a data base for SEProST dt0 files? V&H big shots, Cobra speedsters ect.
As far as I know, no.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:36 PM
mechanicalman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
The software and support could be better but it no where near as bad as you say. I've tried to help you before asking questions and making sugggestions with no response. You kept saying you were hearing pinging but there were no knock events in the logs.

Your posts describe loading configs from other bikes. I have no idea why you didn't just start with a map close to your config and go from there. Maybe you did but it wasn't clear in your posts.

It sounds like you finally got it running pretty good, good power, no ping, and it runs as good if not better than an identical bike that was dyno tuned at the dealer. What is your complaint? That it didn't magically do all this for you? That it actually took time and work?

I am completely confused by your remarks about loading files to/from the VCI. I can tell you that when you upload a map to the ECM when the upload is complete it then downloads the map to the VCI. This map is then accessable from the PC. So if you take the VCI to a tuner it has the latest map on it for the tuner to start from. You can easily access the map from the VCI.

If you were to follow a methodical approach;

1. Load the appropriate starting MAP (not one from someone else's bike)
2. Smart Tune
3. Adjust timing (if pinging is bad you can do this step 2)

I've been using the SEPST since 2008 with very good results as have lots of others. This sounds a lot like operator error.

Whether I did something wrong or not I don't know but I couldn't get the file from my VCI. After rebooting and restarting everything it did get the file. So that may have been an unrepeatable glitch. But the software is still bad.
If you select a row in the smart tune VE's just to highlight it so you can compare that row to a row in the working VE table, you can't deselect it you have to close the whole table then open it again. BAD!
When you are viewing the recorded data and you zoom in it is hard to find the cursor. Especially when using the mouse pad on a laptop. It goes past the zoomed in window without showing up and you have drag the slider back and forth to get the cursor line to show up. BAD!
Sometime when zooming out it loses several of the selected data lines on the graph. BAD! I could go on, but enough said about the faulty program.

I never said I loaded files from other bikes, only from one bike that is the same as mine, same year, same pipe, both high flo air cleaners one a SE and mine a S&S. The base file from that bike is the same as the base file that I would choose if I was starting from scratch. It's the 044AAO003-01. The other bike was dyno'd, and the only thing that is different from the file from that VCI and the base file is the VE's were bumped by fixed amounts like plus 5 in one area and plus 10 in another area etc. Not the kind of data that you get from an actual recording. There were also a couple of blanket changes to the AFR table too, the timing tables and all of the other settings are the same as the base file. My thinking was that a file from the same kind of bike with the same equipment that was dyno'd with the same equipment should be closer than a base map. Problem was that my bike pinged like mad and didn't run as good as the other bike. Now after making several changes to the timing tables I've all but eliminated the pinging. I still get a few slight knocks once in a while but the bikes run almost dead even. The other bike will pull ahead a few inches from 2500 rpms to about 3500 and mine will pull ahead a few inches at 4500 to 5000. They are now very close. My questions were and still are why they run so close when my timing is dropped as much as 9 degrees in some areas from the file that shows up off of his VCI. In fact the area where mine runs stronger the timing is dropped between 6 and 9 degrees. It's as if the file in his ECM is not the same as what's on his VCI. I still do not understand this and no good explanation has been posted.

Once I get this all sorted out I'll post all my tables. One thing I found out was that recording smart tuning at a lower elevation fills out part of the 90 kpa column.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:01 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanicalman
Whether I did something wrong or not I don't know but I couldn't get the file from my VCI. After rebooting and restarting everything it did get the file. So that may have been an unrepeatable glitch. But the software is still bad.
If you select a row in the smart tune VE's just to highlight it so you can compare that row to a row in the working VE table, you can't deselect it you have to close the whole table then open it again. BAD!
When you are viewing the recorded data and you zoom in it is hard to find the cursor. Especially when using the mouse pad on a laptop. It goes past the zoomed in window without showing up and you have drag the slider back and forth to get the cursor line to show up. BAD!
Sometime when zooming out it loses several of the selected data lines on the graph. BAD! I could go on, but enough said about the faulty program.

I never said I loaded files from other bikes, only from one bike that is the same as mine, same year, same pipe, both high flo air cleaners one a SE and mine a S&S. The base file from that bike is the same as the base file that I would choose if I was starting from scratch. It's the 044AAO003-01. The other bike was dyno'd, and the only thing that is different from the file from that VCI and the base file is the VE's were bumped by fixed amounts like plus 5 in one area and plus 10 in another area etc. Not the kind of data that you get from an actual recording. There were also a couple of blanket changes to the AFR table too, the timing tables and all of the other settings are the same as the base file. My thinking was that a file from the same kind of bike with the same equipment that was dyno'd with the same equipment should be closer than a base map. Problem was that my bike pinged like mad and didn't run as good as the other bike. Now after making several changes to the timing tables I've all but eliminated the pinging. I still get a few slight knocks once in a while but the bikes run almost dead even. The other bike will pull ahead a few inches from 2500 rpms to about 3500 and mine will pull ahead a few inches at 4500 to 5000. They are now very close. My questions were and still are why they run so close when my timing is dropped as much as 9 degrees in some areas from the file that shows up off of his VCI. In fact the area where mine runs stronger the timing is dropped between 6 and 9 degrees. It's as if the file in his ECM is not the same as what's on his VCI. I still do not understand this and no good explanation has been posted.

Once I get this all sorted out I'll post all my tables. One thing I found out was that recording smart tuning at a lower elevation fills out part of the 90 kpa column.
I've been using the software since 2008 and have none of the issuses you reference. I do use a real mouse.

The map on the VCI would have to be the same as the map loaded in the VCI since after the map is uploaded to the ECM it then downloads the map to the VCI.

I've done a good bit of tweaking to my timing tables, and I've posted my method. I've not had problems finding knock events.

I am at a loss to explain the problems you had or the difference between the two "Identical" bikes.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:05 PM
mechanicalman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
I've been using the software since 2008 and have none of the issuses you reference. I do use a real mouse.

The map on the VCI would have to be the same as the map loaded in the VCI since after the map is uploaded to the ECM it then downloads the map to the VCI.

I've done a good bit of tweaking to my timing tables, and I've posted my method. I've not had problems finding knock events.

I am at a loss to explain the problems you had or the difference between the two "Identical" bikes.

Part of my earlier problem was that I was trying to get rid of the ping by tuning the VE's and AFR. Which turned out to be an exercise in futility, because timing was the issue all along. And since I had to tweak the timing several degrees in several areas I think that if I could read the the actual file from the other ECM I would see similar changes from the base map even if those are not showing up on the VCI from that bike. 'Don't know why. One thing that I'm noticing is that there are quite a few people on the forums who are having issues with pinging so it looks like I'm not the only one who has this problem. I think the timing on the stage 1 base maps is far too aggressive. It's been my experience that these would be even worse at sea level or below the 5280 that I'm at.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:27 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanicalman
Part of my earlier problem was that I was trying to get rid of the ping by tuning the VE's and AFR. Which turned out to be an exercise in futility, because timing was the issue all along. And since I had to tweak the timing several degrees in several areas I think that if I could read the the actual file from the other ECM I would see similar changes from the base map even if those are not showing up on the VCI from that bike. 'Don't know why. One thing that I'm noticing is that there are quite a few people on the forums who are having issues with pinging so it looks like I'm not the only one who has this problem. I think the timing on the stage 1 base maps is far too aggressive. It's been my experience that these would be even worse at sea level or below the 5280 that I'm at.
I have been following your problems but may not recall all of it. If both bikes were tuned with SEPST, does the other bike have a VCI to download that tune? You had said you were using the same tune so originally I thought you were, but now it seems you are using the same starting base tune as in the other bike and not the completed one. so not the same in both bikes.
another question, prior to all of this were the O2 sensors removed and replaced for a pipe change. Have been following that as well where some were installed in the wrong holes, or damaged would cause you grief.
finally, are you sure that the knock sensor is turned on. If it is and no knock recorded then you do not have pinging, you have something that sounds like it and you are just chasing ping.
also are you sure you do not have any leaks in the exhaust

Old 08-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Bytown
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need to purchase the lastest software CD to get the latest map. This is how I was able to get some 2012 fuel maps. just using the upgrade button on the tuner didn't do it.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Hadye
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bytown
you need to purchase the lastest software CD to get the latest map. This is how I was able to get some 2012 fuel maps. just using the upgrade button on the tuner didn't do it.
Just bought the latest software One month ago, and it wasn't updated with 2012 fuel maps as indicated from attached PDF files

Old 08-26-2012, 09:25 AM
RA51
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you open SESPT you click accept. To the right second box down, check for updates. Click it an it will update the software. That will give you the latest updates for your version.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:22 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Ok, I haven't played wih the software in over a year. I added slip ons to the bike, did a recorded run and viewed the recorded run in Toolbox. I go to tuning and cannot find the recorded run to see what changes may be suggested. What am I doing wrong?

Old 08-26-2012, 10:28 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by atrox88
Ok, I haven't played wih the software in over a year. I added slip ons to the bike, did a recorded run and viewed the recorded run in Toolbox. I go to tuning and cannot find the recorded run to see what changes may be suggested. What am I doing wrong?
go to toolbox and see where the file is saved, tuning may not be looking in the right place

Quick Reply: SEPro/SEStreet Tuner Information Thread